Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 09:56 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

I'd first rent a small trailer, and pull it with your current vehicle - or see if that will work.

I have a 93 Nissan pickup. It's a 4 cylinder automatic. I pulled a U-Haul trailer last year with it, to move with. I piled up my little 93 Nissan pickup, and hauled a pretty heavy load with the trailer.

It pulled the trailer amazingly well. I just had to slow down over mountain passes, but otherwise, it was really easy to haul and the truck handled great, and the trailer was really easy to manage.

My point being, that you can probably haul something more than you think, with the vehicle you already have.

Plus, look into whether or not you can put the trailer into your parking spot at the condo, and just park your vehicle in public or guest parking.

Start out by renting a trailer and pulling it with your current vehicle. See if it's enough space, easy to handle, etc.

And do the math on the costs of owning, if you have to pay for storage, and registration, insurance, etc. - vs. - just renting one when you want to go on a trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 10:23 PM

3,085 posts, read 2,213,841 times
Thank you! We will look at renting but need to wait until we have a vehicle that can tow. Our current vehicle is a car, so it is not an appropriate vehicle to tow even a smaller trailer. But, we are in the market for a vehicle anyway. In part I am having this discussion now because we will be buying at least one vehicle in the next year, and this is a factor in the choice.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:04 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
If you go to any large RV store, you should be able to see a pretty good variety of trailers. Since you don't have a tow vehicle, you won't be tempted to sign on the dotted line, either. Some dealers only work with certain manufacturers for new RVs and you may have to go a couple places to get a good idea of what you want. Also look for big RV shows at a local fairground.

There are just a couple of trailer manufacturers, but each one makes a variety of models. Thor Industries owns, if not half of the RV space, a pretty good chunk of it. They own companies like Airstream, Cruiser, Dutchman, Heartstone, Keystone, Jayco, KZ, Starcraft.

And then some of their subsidiaries, like Keystone, have different models - Bullet, Coachman, Cougar, Hideout, Passport, Outback, Laredo, Springdale, Sprinter.

On Thor's main page there is a good introduction to the types of RVs - Class A, Class B, Class C, 5th Wheel, Travel Trailer, Expandable, Tent trailer, etc.
https://www.thorindustries.com/find-and-buy/rv-types/
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 04-28-2018, 01:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Thank you! We will look at renting but need to wait until we have a vehicle that can tow. Our current vehicle is a car, so it is not an appropriate vehicle to tow even a smaller trailer. But, we are in the market for a vehicle anyway. In part I am having this discussion now because we will be buying at least one vehicle in the next year, and this is a factor in the choice.
consider leasing if you are looking at a 'lifestyle / activity' change.

For those who need / enjoy newer cars, that is a good cost effective option for finding what best fits them. I choose to drive 'beaters' and rent when I need a long trip or when I am 'fly-driving'. thus I get to try lots of different vehicles, often for <$20 / day. (trip to UT parks, I got a medium SUV for $12 / day + taxes = <$20/ day). I found out I did not like / feel comfortable in that vehicle, and the handling / fit / performance was not suitable. (I am used to my 52 mpg WVO (free fuel) cars . Thanks to a local SLC business! https://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/...ocessorkit.php

I tow often with my 48 - 90 hp cars. I am building a pop-up 'teardrop' slide-in camper for Snowbear (Costco purchased Utility trailer) (2000GW Version) tows like a dream. I should get 42+ mpg while towing it, as I get that in mtns with a higher profile and much heavier 3x motorcycle cargo.
https://www.google.com/search?q=tear...4rD2wQ_AUICygC

While in Scotland, our hosts towed quite a large 'caravan' (Travel Trailer) with their car that is MUCH smaller than mine. Over many steep hills and narrow roads. Very common where people have only ONE car to do everything. (Many hatchbacks and Wagons... my preference). Also quite a few 'car-top tent' options in Europe and AUS / NZ. (good place to search while on internet for ideas for efficient camping gear and vehicles. )

If I were to get a new car in USA... It would be a X4 or a 328D (DIESEL wagon) new $40-60K, USED $22 - 28K). I may look to get a Euro Delivery model if I can use it for a yr before shipping home (current rules only allow a few weeks use in Europe).

Old 04-28-2018, 07:01 AM

Thank you so so much, once again, for a lot of useful information. We will visit some RV dealers to get more information and educate ourselves.

We are, so far, a one car family that my wife drives to work. I either work in my home office or fly to visit my clients. Since moving to Utah, the car has proved insufficient for our needs when it comes to visiting the parks. There are many areas where we would like to go that require high clearance and 4wd. That’s where the camping alternatives come in as well.

Our plan is to replace the car perhaps with an EV or a fuel efficient vehicle mainly used for the local driving, and get another vehicle for our nature trips. That part is not a change in lifestyle as we have long been enjoying it - been to a large portion of the national parks in the US and as far as the Beaufort sea in AK to hike near the Brooks range and in the Northern arctic plains. We recently hiked in Nepal as well. So, the interest in traveling to (and hiking) in the areas of natural beauty is persistent and will cease only when it becomes too much health wise.

For the nature activity travel, we’d like to get a 4wd with higher clearance - SUV or a smaller pickup truck (our natural inclination is towards the modest sized vehicle necessary to meet the needs - plan to look at something like the coming Ford Ranger). It could also pull a trailer that we are discussing. We aren’t mechanically gifted like StealthRabbit to be experimental, more likely to shell out money for things like trailer assist feature. But, so it will be something mainstream (and not bio-diesel, etc.).

It’s still some time away as my wife plans to be in Germany for a coming 6 months period. 2019 is the target buying year. So, I am looking to inform myself of what the trailer would take and what buying considerations it’d add to the SUV/pick up vehicle choice.

Last edited by kavm; 04-28-2018 at 07:15 AM..

Old 04-28-2018, 11:47 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Just a couple suggestions about vehicle and camper size. As a newbie RVer, you'll be learning a lot about your camper preferences as you go. I don't think there's any way around this, but do your best to "try out" any camper where it sits. Just tell the salesman you want to be alone and that you'll check back with him when you're finished.

Try the bed. Walk around it, lay on it, sit up in bed, stand up beside it, etc. How easy is it to "make" -- to put the sheets on it, etc.? Can you sit up in it? Can you stand next to it without hitting your head on the ceiling?

Next try the bathroom. (No dirty business, just go through the motions.) Decide whether you like the toilet, shower and sink all in one room or not. Same thing in the kitchen, same with sofa, etc. Take your time. Then move on to another camper and do the same stuff.

Keep in mind, as you're deciding your preferences, that you ARE getting older, and moving about will become more and more difficult over the next decade. Crawling into the bed will be tougher. For years I only had pickup campers and loved them. Then I remarried, and my new wife didn't like crawling into the cabover bed. She sprung for a new 5th wheel. Problem was, since neither of us had ever owned one, we didn't know what we wanted. Got one, traded it a year later for a bigger one, traded IT a few years later for a smaller one, then wished we'd had a bigger tow vehicle so we could have traded the last 5er for a really big one.

And so, it's usually smart to get a little larger tow vehicle than what you need initially, because many people want to trade up for slightly larger campers over the years, and that gets expensive if you must trade for bigger trucks to do it. My son's daily driver is an F150. The most he ever tows with it is a golf cart, but they (he and his wife) like the size. It's a comfortable cross-country vehicle, whether it's just the two of them or if they bring along another couple or just their two dogs. (They have a 2018 Limited, which truly is a very nice ride.) They also have a new Vette and a BMW, but the F150 is their standard road car. Fuel mileage isn't as bad as you might guess. IIRC, his F150 (option-loaded 4x4) gets 25-27 mpg driving at 80 mph.

Other than a slightly smaller footprint for parking, smaller pickups don't offer many advantages over full-sized ones. Do yourself a favor and try out a nice half-ton before deciding on a smaller one. I personally would go with a 1-ton, but that's because my old 3/4-ton wasn't big enough for the campers that we like for extended stays or full-timing.

Hope you find what you want. We love camping, even though we're getting too old for much hiking. Just getting out in the mountains, camping next to a nice stream and sitting around a campfire is enough to recharge our batteries.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:33 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,055,110 times
Quote:
We are the late 50s and still very much working. We enjoy hiking, nature and often visit national parks and similar areas. Being located in Utah, we have some attractive and not too distant options.

We use tent camping but that does get a bit tiresome.

Look into a special kind of camp trailer called a ....."Tear Drop".
This design is old and well proven since the 1930's with most being home built they are so simple. They are a cross between tents and conventional trailers.
Trailers built like the "old days" are a simple enclosed sleeping quarters with a outdoor kitchen built in the back. Or a fully enclosed bed and tiny kitchen inside. Also by plans to build your own.

I've got a feeling you would enjoy one since they are now made by several manufactures. Examples to follow.......

https://bigwoodycampers.com/

American Teardrop Trailers

https://www.teardrop-campers.com

https://n.stuccu.com/s/Tear+Drop+Cam...a0c9059ce3c52a

Old 04-28-2018, 02:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Thank you so so much, once again, for a lot of useful information. .... There are many areas where we would like to go that require high clearance and 4wd. That’s where the camping alternatives come in as well.

Our plan is to replace the car perhaps with an EV or a fuel efficient vehicle mainly used for the local driving, and get another vehicle for our nature trips. ...

For the nature activity travel, we’d like to get a 4wd with higher clearance - SUV or a smaller pickup truck (our natural inclination is towards the modest sized vehicle necessary to meet the needs - plan to look at something like the coming Ford Ranger). It could also pull a trailer that we are discussing....
It’s still some time away as my wife plans to be in Germany for a coming 6 months period. 2019 is the target buying year. So, I am looking to inform myself of what the trailer would take and what buying considerations it’d add to the SUV/pick up vehicle choice.
Vehicle options to consider:
(friends have each and love them)
30+ mpg and good for several hundred k miles
x5 diesel BMW
Colorado cummins diesel

Turbo Diesels are SO much better for towing, especially at high altitude. (engine efficiency)

I kinda get spoiled with my 52 mpg Evil Passats, that go 1200+ miles / fill (good for Canada and AK)

BTW: in over 3 million miles of driving beater eco diesels, I have NEVER been towed home / broken down on a trip (yet). I haul my neighbors to the dealer LOTS of time to get their new cars and SUV's fixed. I run <$0.05/mile including cost of vehicle. (only cuz I chose to retire pre age 50, and had already gifted my wealth, so I choose to live cheap, to give to others)

Enjoy a trip to visit your DW during Oktoberfest and Christmas Markets! Mine does the same frequently (We lived in Switzerland and our now neighbor is from Austria, so the gals have a blast at the Christmas Markets! (That is where the proceeds from my estate auction will be spent.)

Old 04-28-2018, 03:23 PM

672 posts, read 442,570 times
The next stage of camping after your tent.

http://runawaycampers.com/

Old 04-28-2018, 05:44 PM

Sorry for the slow response! Saturday mornings in the Summer are a killer. My wife and I do a 5 hour bike ride with a lot of elevation change (3500 ft!). After that, we are as good as dead for the next several hours!

Thank you all for so many helpful suggestions.

- WyoNewk - Will definitely drive F-150 alongside the Ranger. I too had heard that the mid-size trucks don’t offer much advantage, and F150 will give us more options. Also, thanks for the helpful hints about checking out the RVs at the dealers. We can definitely use the practical advice. On the aging bodies - we are already quite clear

- StealthRabbit - Am on board with Diesel, for towing, mileage and not struggling with the hills due to the torque. PS: My wife is German. I am not but have worked there twice as ex-pat, once in Munich and another time in Essen. I first visited Munich during Oktoberfest, though for a client meet/greet/interview. My wife will indeed be in Munich in September, but my own plans are less clear. [Impressive record with bio-diesels.]

- Retired in Illinois - Will check out the teardrop trailers. As far as building our own, that’s not going to happen in this lifetime. Our engineering skills are challenged in changing the light bulb

- HomelessInSeattle - What a tag. We really like Seattle. I keep thinking of that as a retirement place but not sure how we’d take to the rain. But, that’s a different thread. In the meantime, I will check out the runaway campers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing