Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 01:20 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,517,705 times

Advertisements

The problem with renting is that it's expensive. Very expensive. My monthly payment for my brand new 2018 trailer would get me about two days rental. And then there's the issue of availability. Good luck on getting a rental during holiday weekends. And if you do, you'll pay a holiday premium, on top of the regular rate. And you'll be wallowing in other people's dirt. No thanks. My trailer has everything I need, because I didn't skimp on outfitting it. It's parked right next to my garage, on its own parking pad. I can plug it in the night before I go and the fridge is nice and cold the next morning. I can also load it up the night before and hook it up to my truck. The weight distribution hitch is all set up for my truck. For me, owning is a no brainer. Much more convenient and it's available whenever I want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 01:36 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,528,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The problem with renting is that it's expensive. Very expensive.
Maybe. But you know what it absolutely is? A known and fixed amount.
$x ÷ ydays = $z/day. No surprises.

Quote:
My monthly payment for my brand new 2018 trailer would get me about two days rental.
And if you use it more than 2 days a month (24 days a year?) you'll be ahead. Good for you.
Well, until next year and those payments. And the year or three after that as well.

Quote:
Much more convenient and it's available whenever I want it.
I'm gonna take a wild guess that you aren't a beginner or infrequent user. Close?

Old 06-02-2018, 12:26 AM

13,077 posts, read 20,749,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The problem with renting is that it's expensive.
Renting before buying is always a good idea when starting out as it gives you an opportunity to fine tune what you really need. We all know someone who went out bought an RV and it turned out to be the wrong RV for their needs or planned use. Renting gives a person a chance to actually use one to see if it fits what they thought it would fit in the way of their own need and lifestyle. What works for Fred does not mean it will work for Sally.

Old 06-02-2018, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Maybe. But you know what it absolutely is? A known and fixed amount.
$x ÷ ydays = $z/day. No surprises.

Assuming you're not dinged for any damages or cleaning charges.

And if you use it more than 2 days a month (24 days a year?) you'll be ahead. Good for you.
Well, until next year and those payments. And the year or three after that as well.

Not a problem for me. I can easily afford it. I can also sell it next spring for more than I paid for it, as I bought it real cheap in Arizona and would sell in very expensive Alaska.

I'm gonna take a wild guess that you aren't a beginner or infrequent user. Close?

First time owning one. But I plan on getting my money's worth this summer. Then I'll decide on whether to keep it or sell it.

Old 06-02-2018, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Renting before buying is always a good idea when starting out as it gives you an opportunity to fine tune what you really need. We all know someone who went out bought an RV and it turned out to be the wrong RV for their needs or planned use. Renting gives a person a chance to actually use one to see if it fits what they thought it would fit in the way of their own need and lifestyle. What works for Fred does not mean it will work for Sally.
I do my research before I buy. It's an excellent way to prevent buyer's remorse. My actual usage has validated my decision on which trailer to purchase. As one person told me, I bought my second trailer the first time around.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:19 PM

4,142 posts, read 3,872,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
In your view... is RVing 90% as terrible as I seem to imply? 75%? 50%?

Can you accept a distinction between the day to day of a week or three excursion...
vs the ownership realities and costs for the OTHER 49 weeks a year?
This is the lesson that too few prospective RV buyers get until it's too late.
I have owned an RV since 2011 and have had very minor repairs. So cost of RV ownership has been minimal and the enjoyment I get out of the rig makes it all worthwhile.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:02 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,848,638 times
We've definitely got our money's worth out of ours. It's been a great life, traveling 4-5 months of the year. Because we've taken very good care of it, we'll probably get a good amount out of it when the time comes to sell.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:16 PM

7,727 posts, read 6,290,027 times
The magazines promote the largest and most expensive rigs, because that is what the advertisers want.

Renting a trailer would be a way to experience one, but what do you tow it with? We had a 17' travel trailer (small) and we had a mid size SUV to tow it. The SUV was equipped with a substantial hitch, wiring, and a very important transmission cooler. Muscular mid size SUVs have mostly disappeared from the market, Crossovers are not as strong.

A lot of folks buy a motorhome because they don't want to tow, but then they discover that it is a pain to break camp just to go to the market for groceries or to go sightseeing. They end up towing a small car.

Another hazard of the big rigs is that there are length restrictions in many national and state parks and forests.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:27 PM

402 posts, read 366,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Muscular mid size SUVs have mostly disappeared from the market, Crossovers are not as strong.
I know you said "mostly" but Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Durango, and Land Rover Discovery are mid-size SUVs that can tow >7000 lbs. You'll run out of payload capacity first unless you're careful though.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:29 AM

13,535 posts, read 9,953,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
My parents are retiring this year and want to buy an RV for the first time and explore North America.
I would like to get them a magazine subscription to help get them started since they really know nothing about this and do not do much web surfing.

Any recommendations out there for a couple of greenhorns?
I know you say they don't do much web surfing, but there are a few nomads out there, that have great YouTube channels.

Here's just one, and he tells it like it is, but his older stuff is often of more use.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtF...7SnVAFSQr-T2zw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing