Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 07:27 AM

747 posts, read 839,370 times

Advertisements

My parents are retiring this year and want to buy an RV for the first time and explore North America.
I would like to get them a magazine subscription to help get them started since they really know nothing about this and do not do much web surfing.

Any recommendations out there for a couple of greenhorns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 09:14 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,707 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Membership in Escapees (They probably have a newsletter or magazine) or go on their site and seek recommendations.

How about a gift certificate for an Escapees 'Boot Camp'? they will make new friends and get lots of tangible recommendations.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:35 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Loads of good forums around. I like IRV2. But many others seem good.

Do you mean a printed magazine on paper delivered by a postman? I am not sure they still make those.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:12 AM

747 posts, read 839,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Loads of good forums around. I like IRV2. But many others seem good.

Do you mean a printed magazine on paper delivered by a postman? I am not sure they still make those.
Yes a magazine since I can't get them to view any internet forums.
I did find one called Trailer Life that might work.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:37 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Too bad they're not on line. YouTube has lots of good videos. I find it much more informative than a bunch of mumbo jumbo written by professional writers with limited experience.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:08 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
I belive Motorhome Magazine is on of the only remaining print magazine devoted to motor homes. It's sister magazine is TrailerLife Magazine which is devoted tot he pull alone side of RVs. They are both a enterprise of the Good Sam Club so there may be a slight bias towards their holdings.

Motor Home Magazine

TrailerLife Magazine

Start with those if you must have a paper magazine. Also, many states put out tourist travel information either as a all encompassing such as Nevada https://travelnevada.com/ or RV specific information such as Arizona http://azrvguide.com/wp-content/uplo...017-18-web.pdf. It may take some searching and filling out request but you can end up with a mountain of printed information.

However, find the next major RV show (not dealer shows) where vendors from RV manufactures and other services and suppliers will be present. Take them to that to get a feel for everything. You can also order a copy of the RV Buyers Guide through TrailerLIfe or Motorhome Magazines.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:49 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
My parents are retiring this year and want to buy an RV...
Any recommendations out there for a couple of greenhorns?
Tell them to RENT a few different types of rig for a few weeks at a time each.
Once they've had some of the reality and it's out of their system ... they'll come to their senses.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:36 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,904,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Tell them to RENT a few different types of rig for a few weeks at a time each.
Once they've had some of the reality and it's out of their system ... they'll come to their senses.
RVing is not for everyone but it is hardly as terrible as you make it out to be.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:27 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
RVing is not for everyone but it is hardly as terrible as you make it out to be.
In your view... is RVing 90% as terrible as I seem to imply? 75%? 50%?

Can you accept a distinction between the day to day of a week or three excursion...
vs the ownership realities and costs for the OTHER 49 weeks a year?
This is the lesson that too few prospective RV buyers get until it's too late.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,707 posts, read 58,042,598 times
recommendation for a beginner RVer

Tread lightly, cautiously, economically....

Dealers / sales PREY on beginner RVer

don't dive in as a sales person THINKS you will be HAPPY...

try MANY options and see what best suits you.

Many folks utilize multiple RV / travel / camping solutions simultaneously. We do camping from Bike / canoe / hiking / Fly-drive / ferry / Car trips / motorcycle / 4x4 / RV... Both internationally and stateside. so ONE solution does not cover all these. If we had INVESTED HEAVY into a single solution, we would be very constrained in our freedom of choices.

As with my EXPENSIVE and bothersome bulldozer... it is OFTEN much more wise to RENT! (short term and Long term!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing