Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 08:02 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,896,255 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody, so my wife and I are considering doing Rving full time, well sort of, we will probably winter somewhere South, probably Florida. We are not very old, both early 30's. But we have rental properties to bring in enough income for our budget and no debt. We don't plan on being perpetual Rv'ers either, maybe 1-2 years and travel all over N America visiting friends and family. We are self employed and have decided to close our business when our lease is up in 2 years. Life is too short to work this many hours and we both feel we are missing out on too much. We also have an online business we can do from anywhere. My wifes mom will likely be traveling with us for a few months each year, she currently lives with us and has for years.

I've been doing research on Rvs and travel tips. Right now I'm liking a shorter Class A Diesel, maybe 32-34 feet with a small tow car. Our vague goal is to civrcumnativage North America, probably in parts, wintering in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 01:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Hey everybody, so my wife and I are considering doing Rving full time, well sort of, we will probably winter somewhere South, probably Florida. We are not very old, both early 30's. But we have rental properties to bring in enough income for our budget and no debt. We don't plan on being perpetual Rv'ers either, maybe 1-2 years and travel all over N America visiting friends and family. We are self employed and have decided to close our business when our lease is up in 2 years. Life is too short to work this many hours and we both feel we are missing out on too much. We also have an online business we can do from anywhere. My wifes mom will likely be traveling with us for a few months each year, she currently lives with us and has for years.

I've been doing research on Rvs and travel tips. Right now I'm liking a shorter Class A Diesel, maybe 32-34 feet with a small tow car. Our vague goal is to civrcumnativage North America, probably in parts, wintering in Florida.
I concur with your idea

of course it will be tight with MIL, but you can escape in your toad. (maybe a small (older) jeep cherokee / similar)

These are pretty new (for me)
https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/sma...esel-pusher-rv

I like the Safari Trek, and you can find many for under $30k <50k miles
Do a nationwide CL search, or ... the usual... (I usually search in 'rust free' Retiree centric locales (AZ, TX, NM, NV, CA)
https://www.rvt.com/New-and-Used-Cla...nce=Any&s_by=3

Good luck,

retire early, retire often!

Old 09-26-2018, 10:51 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
We are doing the same thing (research this concept for retirement). However we are leaning more to a 40 - 45' RV. My wife says a second bathroom is important to her. She is concerned about having to share a bathroom when someone is sick of has diarrhea.)

The disadvantage is there are places you cannot go with an RV that big, however there are a lifetime of places that you can go. Also if you cannot get in someplace, you can usually set up nearby and drive your toad to the place. Also we want a lot of storage space and weight capacity. We want to be able to bring lots of toys with us as we travel.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I concur with your idea

of course it will be tight with MIL, but you can escape in your toad. (maybe a small (older) jeep cherokee / similar)

These are pretty new (for me)
https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/sma...esel-pusher-rv

I like the Safari Trek, and you can find many for under $30k <50k miles
Do a nationwide CL search, or ... the usual... (I usually search in 'rust free' Retiree centric locales (AZ, TX, NM, NV, CA)
https://www.rvt.com/New-and-Used-Cla...nce=Any&s_by=3

Good luck,

retire early, retire often!
Thats funny, I was just watching their videos series a few days before posting.
I haven't look at the Safari Trek before, but that is a good candidate in our price range. We hope to spend in the $20-40K neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We are doing the same thing (research this concept for retirement). However we are leaning more to a 40 - 45' RV. My wife says a second bathroom is important to her. She is concerned about having to share a bathroom when someone is sick of has diarrhea.)

The disadvantage is there are places you cannot go with an RV that big, however there are a lifetime of places that you can go. Also if you cannot get in someplace, you can usually set up nearby and drive your toad to the place. Also we want a lot of storage space and weight capacity. We want to be able to bring lots of toys with us as we travel.
Thanks for the reply, I don't think we want something that big, Ive read a lot about RVs that size being difficult to get into places, plus I just don't think we need something that big. The only substantial thing I would like to get is a 2 person kayak and have enough room for our bicycles.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
... The only substantial thing I would like to get is a 2 person kayak and have enough room for our bicycles.
The correct toad, will help you tote a kayak and bicycles. I mount a light weight and very capable Motorcycle on my toad. (No extra 'cargo (axle) weight' burden on MH) Toad has plenty of axle capacity.

If more states would allow 'triples' you could haul a toad + a utility trailer.. But that comes with more complexity than you desire for being mobile / portable. Do consider guest home rentals at desirable hubs / destinations (not in tourist centric areas, think SMALL town, 30 min to bigger services). Small apartment / shop with bath / MIL cottage can be a great chance to get to know and area and reduce wear on the MH.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
The correct toad, will help you tote a kayak and bicycles. I mount a light weight and very capable Motorcycle on my toad. (No extra 'cargo (axle) weight' burden on MH) Toad has plenty of axle capacity.

If more states would allow 'triples' you could haul a toad + a utility trailer.. But that comes with more complexity than you desire for being mobile / portable. Do consider guest home rentals at desirable hubs / destinations (not in tourist centric areas, think SMALL town, 30 min to bigger services). Small apartment / shop with bath / MIL cottage can be a great chance to get to know and area and reduce wear on the MH.
We have a 2013 Rav4 right now, which if usable, I wouldnt mind keeping as a toad.

Im curious, is there something similar to Airbnb for parking a RV.

We prefer small towns outside bigger towns or cities so thats a good idea. I have a feeling we will spend a lot of time out West.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
We have a 2013 Rav4 right now, which if usable, I wouldnt mind keeping as a toad.

Im curious, is there something similar to Airbnb for parking a RV.

We prefer small towns outside bigger towns or cities so thats a good idea. I have a feeling we will spend a lot of time out West.
on the commercial side...https://harvesthosts.com/

As a family, we have used these for 25+ yrs; thousands of great stays (these are rooms / guest homes Free to $20 / night WW) RV has always been free, tho could be $20 / night. I usually chose farms, and often stay and help with projects.
https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange

House / farm, pet / plant sitting (Free) (I see 20+ ads on just a couple House-sitting sites)

Free camping - project based ministries. (there are many)
https://www.okanagangleaners.com/

Many camps / youth, church, rehab - spiritual facilities.

https://www.campendium.com/free-camping
https://freecampsites.net/

I often stop by a farm store / grain elevator / hardware / and ask for someone to host camping / needing free help.
Many small towns in USA west allow free camping at city parks and fairgrounds. (WY used to be really great about this, some towns had well developed FREE campgrounds in / near the town.) Got abused, so some cities were forced to cancel. Powell, WY even fed us with free breakfasts on select Saturday mornings! (~15 yrs ago)
Homesteader Park - Powell, WY - RV Park Reviews
https://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds...ampgrounds.htm

Maybe you could write / duplicate the Campermate app (NZ). It is wonderful (real-time feedback on all things camping related in New Zealand); # of sites remaining available, weather, view, wildlife, services, parties, fun / interesting stops, surf, hot springs, road conditions and full details / reviews on each camping area.

Your plan is NOT tough... we only stayed in (8) hotels / hostels / official places and were gone from USA for a yr.

Good luck,
have fun,
Learn lots.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:34 AM

424 posts, read 579,928 times
Quote:

We had no problems starting out in a 32 foot Class A gas with no slides when we went full-time (Point..You and your spouse must be best friends). Our toad was a Honda Civic for many years until we went with a Jeep Liberty 4x4 (by then we had a 40ft diesel pusher). I agree with your idea of a diesel engine; however just one very important fact to remember.

"Diesel engines control engine speed and power output by throttling the amount of fuel injected into the engine. A diesel has no air throttle. Because it has no air throttle, a diesel engine offers virtually no engine braking when the driver lifts off the accelerator pedal.'

Do not let some know-nothing salesperson tell you that you do not need an exhaust brake. Suggest you read the following:
https://www.bankspower.com/tech_arti...t-brake-works/

Note: I am not endorsing Banks. Our 40ft had a "Pacbrake"

Old 10-05-2018, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have some experience driving diesel trucks and dump trucks, it was a job I had during and for a short time after college. I guess I would have assumed exhaust breaks come standard on diesel Rvs, but thanks for the heads up.

It looks like there are lots of places to stay without spending too much money.

Who do you guys use for internet? We don't need any tv channels or anything, just something with unlimited data would be great.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:49 PM

Verizon hotspots (for western USA). Currently getting 15gb / mo / device (3x) , then slows down. Don't stream any movies, but you probably could in low resolution.

Get a booster if you are spending time in National Parks (you may want satellite internet if you are in really remote areas a lot of the time)

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/overview/

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-05-2018 at 08:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing