Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2020, 11:27 PM

7,018 posts, read 6,219,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Were you planning on going to Texas Hill country? I remember it as pretty, and I ate the best peaches of my life from an orchard stand, right down the road from LBJ Ranch.
Where is that exactly? I'm not sure but probably not unless it's close to El Paso. After that it will through New Mexico as quickly as possible and then Arizona for the winter. I plan to be there well before this election becomes fact. I want to be set up with a supply of food and water and sit out the aftereffects safe and secure. For this year I'll probably stay at one of the long term visitor areas and just listen and learn how to live this lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 06:20 AM

7,572 posts, read 8,977,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Tonight I said to myself, You're really doing this. I'm amazed I found the courage.

It all started with the grief and depression over my son's death. I was having a very hard time with it. Then, shortly after that,I fell in the snow and had a hard time getting up. This happened twice so I started researching moving somewhere south. I ended up in Arizona but was still depressed. It got worse when I went to the Senior Center and as the holidays approached, the talk centered around family doings. So I quit going there.

I started researching other places to move to and somehow stumbled on Cheaprvliving. It intrigued me and I through the website I read about solo women venturing out. I started asking questions and eventually joined a group of solo women travelers.

That started the journey of where I am now. A bunch of us will be meeting up in Arizona whenever we get there.

This trip is giving me back myself. I'm too busy to be depressed and looking forward each day to the newness of seeing our country. There's a lot I won't see on this first trip out and I look forward to traveling every state.

There's also a lot I'm missing by bringing Marigold with me but, she's already 7 or 8, they weren't sure of her age at the shelter, and she won't be around forever, sadly, and she's a joy to me. Personally, I think her heart would have broken if I left her behind. We've been together over three years.

So that's the story and I'm sticking to it.
Proud of you - instead of wallowing in your depression you found a solution. Glad you didn't leave your cat - that wouldn't have been good. Think of me this winter in MN while you're in AZ. P.S. The news guy just said the "S" word for tomorrow - SNOW - and then he had the nerve to say "shovel". Egads - not ready for that.

Stay safe.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Proud of you - instead of wallowing in your depression you found a solution. Glad you didn't leave your cat - that wouldn't have been good. Think of me this winter in MN while you're in AZ. P.S. The news guy just said the "S" word for tomorrow - SNOW - and then he had the nerve to say "shovel". Egads - not ready for that.

Stay safe.
Thanks Umbria. One thing you can say about Minnesota, most, if not all, buildings are well insulated. I lived most of my 67 years there. It's not warm in the winter, but is so beautiful.

I'm really surprised it's going to s word so soon, but then again, there was the Halloween blizzard.

Take care and stay warm.

Old 10-19-2020, 04:31 PM

Another Loves, further down the line. They said ok to stay. The ride here wasn't much fun. Over 100 miles of gusty winds. I feel like I've fought a battle. The speed limit was 80 - I went 70.

I just checked the New Mexico coronavirus thread. It does look like they're not letting anyone in, so I'm thinking of going north through Texas, through the bit of Oklahoma and into Colorado, over to Utah and down to Arizona. Kind of a pain but I understand their worries.

It shouldn't take too long I hope. I can't think of anyway else around it. If anyone has any other suggestions, please post them.

I should add that I'm currently in Fort Stockton, on hwy 10. I can catch 67 to McCamey and from there take 385 to Lubbock then 27. I'll just have to keep researching ways around New Mexico.

Last edited by meo92953; 10-19-2020 at 05:16 PM..

Old 10-19-2020, 05:14 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,977,808 times
Meo - Just went to the NM health web site and they say anyone coming from outside NM must self quarantine for 14 days. What if you gas up before you get to NM so you don't have to stop anywhere - could you make it through NM with full tank? Can you contact the NM govt and ask them via the web? That's a lot of extra driving.

p.s. It's been lightly snowing off & on most of the day and I'm out raking - yes raking - in the snow. Tomorow is weekly pick up day. Ain't life grand.

Last edited by Umbria; 10-19-2020 at 05:26 PM..

Old 10-19-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Meo - Just went to the NM health web site and they say anyone coming from outside NM must self quarantine for 14 days. What if you gas up before you get to NM so you don't have to stop anywhere - could you make it through NM with full tank? Can you contact the NM govt and ask them via the web? That's a lot of extra driving.

p.s. It's been lightly snowing off & on most of the day and I'm out raking - yes raking - in the snow. Tomorow is weekly pick up day. Ain't life grand.
Better a few more days driving than getting stuck in New Mexico for 14 days. I'm not going to chance it. Besides, it's still adventuring and seeing the coutry. Not exactly in my original plan but...doable.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:10 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,410,169 times
Quote:
Where is that exactly? I'm not sure but probably not unless it's close to El Paso. After that it will through New Mexico as quickly as possible and then Arizona for the winter. I plan to be there well before this election becomes fact. I want to be set up with a supply of food and water and sit out the aftereffects safe and secure. For this year I'll probably stay at one of the long term visitor areas and just listen and learn how to live this lifestyle.
It’s central Texas, the eastern end is near Austin, furthest north big city is San Antonio, home of the Alamo. I remember liking Fredericksburg, San Marcos, New Braunfeld. I-10 goes through part of it. If any Texans are reading they can add/correct.

I don’t know where you’re headed in Colorado, but there are fires near Ft.Collins & Boulder.

Take care & enjoy, meo. I love traveling but have been sitting it out this year, getting the itchy feet, so I’m living vicariously through you! . But, you’re no doubt wise to hunker down before the election.

Last edited by happygrrrl; 10-19-2020 at 08:50 PM..

Old 10-19-2020, 11:10 PM

208 posts, read 111,489 times
Quote:
Better a few more days driving than getting stuck in New Mexico for 14 days. I'm not going to chance it. Besides, it's still adventuring and seeing the coutry. Not exactly in my original plan but...doable.
I think you’re okay if you gas up and get drive in fast food. I-10 from TX to AZ is only 2.5 to 3 hours, so you can probably do it without stopping.

Old 10-20-2020, 12:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
I just did NM last week (From Texas)

IN and Out in 1 day. (22 hrs of driving in a 26 hr period)

Can stay overnight in NM, but you must not 'mingle' / hang around. (I had to go to stores, banks, Fuel, Food... no issues. )

If you intend to STAY in NM, only then must you Quarantine for 14 days.

Very quick to take I-10 through NM to AZ,

A Colorado 'bypass' is a zoo. (Everyone who planned to go to Northern NM is now in southern CO), as well as those fleeing No CO fires. (and about 1/2 of Texas is always in Southern CO)

Old 10-20-2020, 12:42 AM

522 posts, read 1,673,401 times
Quote:
Better a few more days driving than getting stuck in New Mexico for 14 days. I'm not going to chance it. Besides, it's still adventuring and seeing the country. Not exactly in my original plan but...doable.
Meo - From what I see on New Mexico's state website, since you are driving through the state, you DO NOT have to quarantine for 14 days. Below is a link to NM's COVID FAQ page. Relevant questions and answer are also pasted below.

https://www.newmexico.org/industry/r...19-impact-faq/

Will people who make overnight stops in New Mexico have to self-quarantine for 14 days?
No. The self-quarantine guidelines state that an individual must self-quarantine for 14 days or for the duration of their trip to New Mexico - whichever is shorter.

Are the borders closed in New Mexico?
No. The surrounding borders are not closed. State roads remain open.

Will travelers with out of state plates be stopped by law enforcement or turned away at the borders?
No. Unless law enforcement has reason to believe you are breaking the law or not adhering to the health advisory, you will not be stopped or forced to leave the state.

As someone pointed out, you would be driving for about 3 hours to get through NM, which seems shorter than trying to circumvent it.

Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

Last edited by Nancy-NJ-NY-ME?; 10-20-2020 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: Fix typo and spacing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing