Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 09:39 AM

946 posts, read 775,777 times

Advertisements

I've been toying with the ideal of buying an RV for several years and now I'm only about 1-3 years away from retirement, so it's coming up in my mind more and more. I already do a lot of things outdoor such as hike and bike practically every weekend and I could foresee living in an RV on the road for several months a year in retirement.

I'm pretty sure it would be a 25-30 foot trailer style. I've already looked several times. I could not foresee living for an extended time in anything less than 25 foot.

I guess one of my main concerns is I'm by myself and I'm worried about my ability to handle everything about the RV on my own. I'm able bodied mid 50s and have taken care of most everything in my life on my own for a very long time, but I'm worried that I might be overlooking something about an RV. I certainly know how to ask for help if I'm at a campsite or service station. I'm not shy. But I'm still slightly concerned.

Looking for advice or experience from others? Is there any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 09:45 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Rent one for a week at a time.
Get basic instruction from them.
Expect to have a hiccup or two.

Go to one of the NEARBY County or State Parks with RV space.
Make friends with other campers and talk about it all.
Any specific "how do I...?" Q should be answered easily. Most are in the books..
Cook some burgers and have some beers.

See what is what and if most goes well try going farther away and staying longer.
Rinse & Repeat with different sizes/types of equipment.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Rent one for a week at a time.
Get basic instruction from them.
Expect to have a hiccup or two.

Go to one of the NEARBY County or State Parks with RV space.
Make friends with other campers and talk about it all.
Any specific "how do I...?" Q should be answered easily. Most are in the books..
Cook some burgers and have some beers.

See what is what and if most goes well try going farther away and staying longer.
Rinse & Repeat with different sizes/types of equipment.
This sounded like good advice and I'm not sure why I didn't think of it. LOL

But I've already called two dealers in my area and they don't rent and don't know who does. So I guess I may not live in the right area to find a rental.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:20 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I agree with renting... Will weed out those not at all interested in the hassle. (once exposed to the details)

Once committed...
Escapees club offers a RV Boot Camp that is very comprehensive.
(They also have an online version)

https://www.escapees.com/education/rvers-boot-camp/

Old 05-10-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I agree with renting... Will weed out those not at all interested in the hassle. (once exposed to the details)

Once committed...
Escapees club offers a RV Boot Camp that is very comprehensive.
(They also have an online version)

https://www.escapees.com/education/rvers-boot-camp/
Thank you for this link. Glad to see something like that exists.

Old 05-10-2021, 12:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Our trailer is 25' and I would never consider driving it alone. I have a rear-view camera, but still with a total of 45' of truck and trailer behind me, it's great to have another person watching when changing lanes. You will also find that backing into a campground space or your own driveway is difficult without a "spotter" since you cannot see where you might be hitting when the side of the trailer blocks your view.
If I were you, I would consider a smaller low-profile trailer such as an A-Liner Expedition, or Forest River Flagstaff, that allow better visibility, but still have most of the amenities, and hard sides.

https://aliner.com/campers/expedition/
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/campi...pop-up-campers

Old 05-10-2021, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Our trailer is 25' and I would never consider driving it alone. I have a rear-view camera, but still with a total of 45' of truck and trailer behind me, it's great to have another person watching when changing lanes. You will also find that backing into a campground space or your own driveway is difficult without a "spotter" since you cannot see where you might be hitting when the side of the trailer blocks your view.
If I were you, I would consider a smaller low-profile trailer such as an A-Liner Expedition, or Forest River Flagstaff, that allow better visibility, but still have most of the amenities, and hard sides.

https://aliner.com/campers/expedition/
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/campi...pop-up-campers
Thank you for replying. This is good to know. When you visit these RV dealerships they act like everything is a breeze. That's why I wanted to post for honest opinions.

I really don't have many relatives or friends that have RVs. So most of the experience would be new to me. But I spend 5 times more outdoors than most anyone I know so getting an RV is on my mind all the time.

I like the looks of those Flagstaff models.

Old 05-10-2021, 04:41 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,389,618 times
I certainly understand wanting to stay in your comfort zone.
I believe after you get started and gain some experience you will be much more confident in your abilities.
For starting out try to get campsites that are 'pull through' so you don't have to back in.

Large church parking lots or school parking lots are great places to practice backing and turning. With the rearview cameras available today things have gotten easier.

As a long time RV'er I can tell you that you WILL have 'oopsie' moments -- we all do.

Watch lots of youtube videos on camping and RV'ing. They really do help.

Old 05-10-2021, 05:20 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Practice is your best bet. When you are pulling a trailer you have to think ahead two or three steps. Keep an eye on what’s behind you. Backing doesn’t have to daunting. A 5th wheel is easier to pull. Less sway and easy to hook up and pull. I do not mind pulling alone.

When you are backing up a trailer hold the bottom of the steering wheel and small inputs is the best.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:47 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Isn't there a service out there whereby people can rent motorhomes from the owners? (like Air BnB on wheels)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing