Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 01:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

I don't do boondocking + cities. (One of my places is near Portland Oregon, A 'swatters paradise". Tragic for the community and businesses / economy / police)

I keep a few rural props dispersed in USA regions with different climates that I prefer to visit.

Each property has main home rented out, and a free place for me and others to stay. All have shops, RV hookups, and separate living spaces. All all financially self supporting, including my main home. I have often bought rural view props and built a shop with apartment, hookups. I sometimes rent them, but usually sell to someone wanting to build their dream house.

I use retirees as responsible tenants. They are more friends, than tenants.
We often sell properties to tenants (if they desire to buy it).

By age 80, I expect to be a renter myself.
In a rural senior community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2021, 03:01 AM

80 posts, read 80,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If you're IN a city this is NOT "boondocking"
it's far more like just being a bum.

The sort of tolerance available to bums in years past has been abused too much.

You're use of the word "bum" identifies you as an old intolerant codger. You know the type. "GET OFF MY LAWN".

Old 11-15-2021, 04:18 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOlBear7 View Post
You're use of the word "bum" identifies you as an old intolerant codger. You know the type. "GET OFF MY LAWN".
You got the intolerant message. That's what matters.

Old 11-18-2021, 04:53 AM

Be sure to get your vaccinations, all of them.

Old 11-24-2021, 08:50 AM

1,419 posts, read 753,549 times
Quote:
Doesn't mean he's wrong.

Old 11-28-2021, 07:20 AM

2,480 posts, read 1,551,658 times
OP, Try YouTube. There are numerous boondockers on there that might have some info on this topic.

Old 11-30-2021, 04:47 AM

Default ok thanks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
OP, Try YouTube. There are numerous boondockers on there that might have some info on this topic.

I will.

Old 11-30-2021, 02:58 PM

319 posts, read 199,673 times
Quote:
I will.
Or Facebook. There are many-many people living the fulltime/boondocking life who prove the ignorant comments posted here wrong. Lord, people can be morons.

We've been RVers for years. Dabbled with the thought of full-time+boondocking, then decided on the more secure existence of a small condo and most-time travel.

There's boondocking and there's stealth camping. The latter is more easily done in the setup you propose - van conversion - but there are things to learn in order to not be so obvious and prone to harassment, while also being a respectful stealther. I've seen videos of the stealthers who aren't even trying to pass as stealth campers. They deserve the boot up the ass they get from authorities and make it hard for folks who just want to park/sleep/move on.

When people talk boondocking, it's typically out west on BLM land, or in approved places like Walmart, Cracker Barrel, and Carabela's. There are rules and etiquette to that kind of camping as well.

Do the research and follow the path of people who know how to be the best kind of stealth campers and boondockers. It will be less of a hassle.

Old 11-30-2021, 03:57 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
You may not want to include Walmart. There are many the post no overnight parking now. I have had a lot of success with truck stops, mainly Love's and Pilots.

Old 11-30-2021, 04:54 PM

319 posts, read 199,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
You may not want to include Walmart. There are many the post no overnight parking now. I have had a lot of success with truck stops, mainly Love's and Pilots.
True

Walmart is one place where it is definitely better to ask, even if there are no signs saying it's prohibited. Also, it's best to arrive at one before dark and scope the area and shoppers. I follow several youtubers who have begun to be very wary because of the behavior issues from people coming there after dark. Tip: to access the free Wi-Fi (if offered) I've read posts from several people who advise parking down at the garden center area. The signal will be stronger there.

Cracker Barrel - best to make sure it's in an easily accessible area. We recently got stuck at a light, waiting for someone with a huge 5th wheel to navigate the U-turn into the parking lot. Personally, I would have gone "nope" and headed down the road to the next CB, but someone was stubborn about getting into that particular one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing