Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 06:02 PM

1,437 posts, read 732,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
If there's ample parking and they're not bothering anyone, then I don't see the problem in some less busy, less used, streets outside of the city centers such as "mainstreet" but not to include "every street".
It appears there's some who are looking down on these people for no good reason except bias. If they are creating a problem, dumping or some other disgusting behavior, then yes, send law enforcement. If they are quietly parked for the night and don't claim the parking spot as their home for days on end, what's the big deal? I am definitely talking about them using streets outside of residential homes, such as industrial neighborhoods, something like that.
City centers can erect "no overnight parking" signs and the problem is solved. If a van dweller is parked during the day and has solar on the roof, do you desire to erect "no naps zone" signs? Perhaps each city or village needs city street parking areas that are designated for overnight. I don't believe these people are going to dry up and go away, it appears more are coming not less, and NIMBY extreme laws may be violating the rights of these people when these are public streets.
Exactly. I think some people feel that because they have tied themselves to sticks and bricks, and property taxes everyone else should or they should be cast out of society, basically they are elitist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2022, 10:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
Exactly. I think some people feel that because they have tied themselves to sticks and bricks, and property taxes everyone else should or they should be cast out of society, basically they are elitist.
Do you actually know someone who feels this way?

I don't. Maybe I have a small circle of friends, but no one would diss me for becoming a mobile nomad. Many of them have done so for a season or a few decades. I have a lot of weirdo friends, but no one has indicated wtshtf, there is a conspiracy for the USA gov to control each individual and circumstance. The USA gov is far from capable of anything close to that. But... When China, S Korea, or their many newly formed alliances show up on our soil, we (USA) will be in a real fix. (And no one to fix it for us).
van dweller?.... No problem if you can brew your own fuel.
Camo netting is your friend. I've been using it for the 30 yrs I have been living in a federal government restricted zone.

Just be stealth, no need to create a coalition. That brings the officials out to find out what you are up to.

Old 01-16-2022, 05:52 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
Actually he does not sound like one of the nomads that causes the problems...
He's parked. He's not a NOMAD. He's not a traveling vacationer or wandering retiree. Or even an itinerant tinkerer
He's not out in the woods or on BLM/Forest Svc managed open land.

He's PARKED on a city street and staying put. He's a bum. Everyone like him is a bum.
I suspect that you too are just another of these new age bums.

Old 01-16-2022, 03:40 PM

18 posts, read 9,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
He's parked. He's not a NOMAD. He's not a traveling vacationer or wandering retiree. Or even an itinerant tinkerer
He's not out in the woods or on BLM/Forest Svc managed open land.

He's PARKED on a city street and staying put. He's a bum. Everyone like him is a bum.
I suspect that you too are just another of these new age bums.
I doubt he parked in one spot and hasn't moved, I don't think he is a bum, he has a job, he is not harming anyone he simply found a way to live in and enjoy LA the second most costly city in the country on less than an Elksprings Wyoming budget, because the most expensive part of living in LA is "LIVING IN LA!!!!" take away the housing cost and it's not much more expensive than any place else. and I dont know if you have lived there before but there are apartments by the beaches and close to the down town area upwards of 2K a month that aren't much bigger than his delivery truck.

Old 01-17-2022, 04:21 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumNomad View Post
I doubt he parked in one spot and hasn't moved...
He's parked. He's not a NOMAD. You aren't either.

You too are just another of these new age bums

Old 01-17-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
He's parked. He's not a NOMAD. You aren't either.

You too are just another of these new age bums
you don't know what you are talking about, that guy makes more than the average income in the US he is clean and his rig is nicer on the inside than most studio apartments. don't be a snob.

And I have a job but travel all over this great land from city to city, I boondock AND stealth camp.
Attached Thumbnails
what percentage of the population would have to become van dwellers before governments would make it illegal outright?-my-home.jpg  

Old 01-17-2022, 05:04 PM

1,408 posts, read 748,130 times
Stealth camp is just another word for mooch.

Old 01-17-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Stealth camp is just another word for mooch.
I mooch nothing, I'm in public area's and pay for my supplies.

Old 01-17-2022, 05:26 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Quantum, don't bother trying to convince these people. You're not doing anything wrong and neither is the other guy. Some people do not understand vandwelling and they never will.

Old 01-17-2022, 06:48 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Tioga George used to post on www.rv.net
He has a Tioga class C MotorHome. He had 4 or 6 deep cycle Marine Batteries, & a generator, 2 solar panels. He traveled all over the Beautiful USA & Mexico. He parked overnight where he wasn't a bother to anyone (often commercial areas). He often asked for permission first when he could. He did this for a couple years. He had a YouTube blog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing