U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 06:12 PM

13 posts, read 35,717 times

Advertisements

First Time Driving 35' RV from Pa to Az Advice in planning such a trip
my family of six rented a RV to travel from pa to az for the first time
driving such a intimidating machine.
we're heading out july 4th and i would love some helpful hints on what to bring
and what to plan for.
we are traveling through the smokey mountains and then head towards
new orleans and then to texas to hit a wonderful water park.
then head up towards grand canyon and back to phoenix for a 4 day pit stop
then back home direct route to PA
I did book one reservation at a koa campsite in new orleans.
is it better to try to just play by ear and pull over at one i see or book
ahead a time as we travel towards phoenix arizona.
any advice would be great thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 06:33 PM

895 posts, read 2,548,833 times
Hi
We are former full time rvers,
This time of year make reservations, if in doubt about how far your going to travel in a given day, call at noon for your next night....I hope your prepared for some big time heat tooo.

A dumb bit of info but usefull one of our biggest expenses was laundry...Go to the bank and get $100 worth of quarters and use them only for that you'll be surprised
how fast they get used up.

Most important is just take your time and enjoy the country and the neat people you'll meet...

Old 06-21-2008, 04:56 PM

13 posts, read 35,717 times
Hey thanks a lot for the wonderful tip about the laundry and reservations!

i am sure we would have forgot about the coins.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:25 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,387,199 times
We've done about ten thousand miles in a couple of RVs. If you are a member of AAA, get their campbooks and campmaps. If not, buy a campground directory at a place like Camping World. You will find that information about restrooms, size of campsites, availability of dump facilities, hookups etc. will get very important to you.

We seldom make campground reservations. At about 7 miles per gallon, I would guess that there will be lots of space in campgrounds this summer. It will cost me about $400 to fill my tank this year.

Hank

Old 06-21-2008, 06:49 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,638,509 times
Buy your self a Woodall's Camp Directory. Trailer Life also makes one. This will be your bible. It lists every camp ground and every single scratch of information you will need to decide. These books can be purchased in Camper World. Many if not all RV rentals come with one but it may be a year outdated but will still be fine.

You said you rented an RV. It is quite rare to find a class A for rent so I must assume you rented a class C which make up 99% of all rentals. One big reason for this is ease of driving them. You feel just like you are in a pick up truck. A class A can be intimadating the first time you sit in one and does take some driving to get used to. Do dont worry at all. Before you even drive that rig off the lot they give you a one hour orientation on how to run it. Dont forget rear swing-out !!

RVers are some of the friendliest people you will ever find. They are always helpful.

You mentioned KOA. You are already talking about $8,000 for gas in your trip. You may want to pass over the KOAs as they are traditionally the most expensive camp grounds.

I dont know that you need to make reservations. Not in the south anyway. Campgrounds slow down when it is over 100 outside. Today it is 116 in Las Vegas and 120 in Laughlin which gets heavy RV traffic but not with those temps. Gas prices are keeping RVers closer to home too, in many cases....staying home.

Good luck with your trip.

I betcha the trip will leave such a soft spot in you that within a couple years you will buy your own. It will do that to ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing