U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 05:20 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,475 posts, read 13,829,760 times

Advertisements

I've never shipped two cars at a time ...dunno if they do discounts or not. This was from Thomasville, Ga to Sammamish, Wa. I believe the price is different depending on location - from/to. If I recall, in 1998 I paid 'em to move my car open container from Colorado Springs to Georgia and it was ~$600 bucks. I know open container is a lot cheaper....and a lot dirtier, at least in the winter months. All that dirt they use to cover the snowy passes in Colorado. My car looked like it had went bogging.

Incidently, I priced a moving company to move my house junk and they wanted $7,000ish...I think it was Mayflower, but can't recall, since I didn't go that route. I got the Uhaul for $1600 and it took me a little over ~$900 bucks worth of gas plus hotel room/food for 5 nights.

Anyway, back to your question, in March, 2007 in a covered container truck the car moving cost was $2535.00.

If you want to eliminate the TnT moving broker (or if you can...I dunno.) the company that moved my car was Hog Haulers. You might be able to check with them. Looks like they have a "quote" link at the bottom of their page.

http://www.hoghaulersinc.com/ (broken link)

Last edited by 70Ford; 10-11-2008 at 05:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 01:30 PM

7 posts, read 21,718 times
I have a small 97 Nissan Altima. How much (estimate) to ship a car from Seattle to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida?

Old 10-25-2010, 03:54 PM

59 posts, read 202,493 times
All the best scenery is up north on I-90, which I would avoid in the winter. Basically you drive for days thorough some of the most boring country you'll ever see, then you hit the western part of South Dakota and it's good from there on.

Badlands
Mt. Rushmore
Black Hills
Custer State Park
Devil's Tower
Beartooth Highway
Coeur d'Alene
Cascades

Some of that you don't want to tackle in the Winter. Some of it (like the Beartooth Highway) isn't even open in the Winter.

I've also driven the Southern Route I-10 and cut up through Colorado - it's not as scenic. I suspect I-10 all the way to LA is pretty boring, althogh LA to Seattle would have some pretty parts, esp. if you head over to the coast and take 1/101 up to Seattle. I've only been as far down as Big Sur, but from there North is lots of stuff to see, but that's a leisurely trip.

edit: btw, I really enjoyed my two cross country drives. The best advice I can give you is to not be in a hurry. If you have the luxury of time, take it. Nothing will turn a cross country trip into a soul crushing grind like a secession of 10 hour days. We tried to limit ourselves to 7 hours, but a couple times pushed on to 9 and it wasn't fun. Also, plan ahead and find a decent place to eat in each place you stop. You'd be surprised what you can find if you try. We found some good Chinese restaurants in the some unlikely places - beats fast food, Denny's, and the like. Not just dinner either, breaking up a long drive with a good lunch rather than McDonald's makes a big difference.

Oh yeah...The Corn Palace.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:13 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
You know what still amazes me? The Interstate-Highway posters, who say:

1. Get on the nearest Interstate Highway.
2. Drive to the nearest east-west Interstate.
3. Stay on it until you see an ocean.
4. Use your GPS to tell you which exits have gas/food/lodging.

Unless a poster specifically says they need to get from A to B in the shortest possible time, I think it is safe to say that they are looking for a route that offers something more inspirational than 5,000 big green exit signs.

This comment doesn't specifically reference this post, but it seems like every time there is a post asking for advice about a cross-country trip, there are replies telling which Interstate to take. Since they are all virtually identical in nearly all respects, the choice of interstates is pretty fundamental. This poster indicated wanting to see some of the good ole USA. This cannot be done from the vantage point of any Interstate highway.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-26-2010 at 09:23 AM..

Old 04-27-2011, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,528 times
I never drove across the states Seattle to Floridia. It has been my dream. What is the flattest way to go I will be hauling a 15 ft camper and 2 dogs and 2 adults .I am looking forward to this drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing