U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 11:22 AM

169 posts, read 526,750 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever rented a R.V. for their vacation? We're hoping to take a trip in the fall to the south & we're wanting to check all options between flying, driving, etc. I don't know if this would be economical or not for us. Got any stories to tell? Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 11:47 AM

7,339 posts, read 16,639,547 times
We checked into renting an RV once and found out just how expensive they are to rent. We decided to stick to flying or driving and staying at nice motels.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:52 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,909,466 times
I've both owned and rented RV's. When the kids were little we owned an RV that would fit into a regular car parking space. This was handy for a couple of reasons - we could without much problem drive anywhere we wanted especially handy if you were in a city, the other reason we owned one was it was a heck of a lot easier to change diapers, have our own bathroom, move around, and could feed the kids at any time. Cheaper than eating out and we could Bbq too.

We rented a much larger one when my mother came with us as we wanted to stay on the beach at a campground we went to every year. RVing is a lot of fun if you like camping or boating. You have to be able to pack the particular things you'll need in addition to merely taking clothes. I don't know if I can say that it's cheaper. It all depends on how many people are involved and where you're going to or want to stay. The cheapest campgrounds I've found were $10 a night, but most I'd say run around $30-40 and can go much higher in touristy places. You also should try for a reservation. Some places are booked by returnees a year in advance. Also, make sure you get thorough instructions on how to pump the thing out and all the other operating particulars. Most campers are very friendly and will help a novice.

Driving is nice, whether by car or RV as you get to see and interact with many more people. If you haven't done it I would highly suggest that route. You can rent an RV from your start point or pick one up at your destination.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:23 PM

1,775 posts, read 7,347,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb123 View Post
Has anyone ever rented a R.V. for their vacation? We're hoping to take a trip in the fall to the south & we're wanting to check all options between flying, driving, etc. I don't know if this would be economical or not for us. Got any stories to tell? Thanks for your time.

First how long of a vacation are you taking? driving will take considerable amount of time. Friends of mine rented an RV just for a 3 day weekend and it was $500 just up front to rent and that was a discount for them since they worked where they rented it but that's about the going price. it wasn't a big one. slept 4 people comfortably.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:00 AM

4,285 posts, read 14,423,569 times
Default bjb123

I see rental RVs quite frequently. They seem to be particularly popular with Europeans who are determined to see North America in 3 weeks.

Over the past 20 years in the RV park and summer resort business, I have found 2 common threads with rental RVs.

1. They are extremely expensive to rent.

2. They are pigs at the gas station.

Add in the relative inconvenience of driving them in tight spaces or in heavy traffic, dubious maintainence on many rentals, and the cost of paying for a camp site every night.

If your determined to have a driving holiday, it will be cheaper and likely more convenient to take your car and stay at a nice hotel every night.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:16 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,346,592 times
I have a story about some frat boys, an RV and the Florida Highway Patrol, but that's not really what this thread's about...

Old 03-31-2007, 09:31 PM

27 posts, read 131,923 times
My family rented an rv last summer. We had a great vacation. We got a good deal from cruise america. The deal was we would take the RV from spot A and drive it to Phoenix, AZ which is where their headquarters were. They give you a determined amount of free mileage, and number of days for $29.00 a day. Anything over that you are paying full price for.

We flew from Delaware to Seattle, WA, picked up the RV drove it to Phoenix and flew home. We have 3 small children in car seats and it was great fun for them. They got to look out the big windows and draw, color, play with legos on the table instead of just watching videos, all while still being in their car seats.

The deal was they needed their RVs moved from one spot to their headquarters. Some of them just needed cleaning, some were getting sold and others had things wrong with them. It is unfortunate that you do not know what you are getting until you get there. However, they are all supposed to be in running mechanical condition. You may have a microwave that does not work or a toilet that does not work but the RV will be running and safe to drive.

We own an RV that has broken down on us too many times for us to count so this was just another adventure for us. Fortunately, the one we rented was just a little dirty and old. The fridge did go out on us but if we were plugged into electric it worked.

One more thing, if you do rent an RV, it comes completely empty. They will be happy to rent you towels, blankets, dishes..... for a hefty sum. My suggestion is to make goodwill your first stop. You can get everything you need there for a lot less money than they will rent it to you. Then head over to the laundrymat and wash everything.

Good luck! I love RVing so I am rooting for you to take a trip!

Old 03-31-2007, 10:44 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,346,592 times
Mstanya, I've also seen a lot of CruiseAmerica rental RV's. They seem to be one of the biggest RV rental outfits. Their units look well cared-for on the outside. I've gotta echo Cornerguy's comments about Europeans trying to see all of North America in three weeks! (After you've been to Europe, you'll see why they misjudge the size of the U.S. and Canada!) When we visited the Grand Canyon in April one year, I'd be willing to bet we were the only U.S. residents anywhere in the park!!!

Old 04-19-2007, 09:48 AM

769 posts, read 1,983,806 times
We've rented motorhomes numerous times for anything from a 5 day trip to 3 weeks. And, like someone else said, it also depends on how many are going what the cost/savings benefits are. Our last one we would have had to get 3 hotel rooms each night if we'd have been driving, as well as having to drive 2 cars since there were 6 of us. It's also handy if you're going somewhere not so civilized - we used to go to Death Valley every Thanksgiving and while there are some hotels there, we found a motorhome to be better for us.

In addition, I love the flexibility that having a motorhome allows since you can usually find someplace to park no matter where you are. Another cost saving tip is to try state parks. We did that a couple of years ago and New Mexico has AWESOME facilities - Colorado isn't to shabby either. A lot of them have shower facilities so you can get a real shower. They are usually less expensive too than commercial or KOA campgrounds.

BUT, be sure you like the people you're with!!! It's close quarters!

Old 06-03-2007, 07:09 AM

2 posts, read 9,004 times
Thumbs down R.V. Rental

We have found that El-Monte RV has been a very good renatl company.
Lots of deals. see:
One Way RV Rentals, Luxury RV Rentals

The last time (Spring 2007) we tried Roadbear RV.
That was expencive and we did not like this company at all.
I would NOT recommend this RoadBear RV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing