U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 06:24 PM

9,421 posts, read 17,411,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva1925 View Post
Has anyone rented an rv for a trip and then flew home at the end of your trip?
I once flew to Anchorage and rented a motorhome to travel/camp in for awhile before flying back to Wyoming. But I suppose you're talking about dropping the camper off at the end of the trip and flying back on a one-way ticket. Haven't done that....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 06:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,638 posts, read 40,010,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva1925 View Post
Has anyone rented an rv for a trip and then flew home at the end of your trip?
I would check with the major companies that rent (Like CruiseAmerica) and see if they need some MH 'relocated', (after rental season they need to reposition some units)

Old 12-29-2009, 06:24 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,784,031 times
We will be doing a series of cross country trips in our new RV very shortly. We plan to load up our dogs and just take off for warmer climates (its COLD here in Maryland). We're retired travel bums and intend to ramble the US and Canada until we get tired of it.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:48 AM

14,939 posts, read 10,232,767 times
I loved having the RV! When I was married, we drove from Florida to Alaska for three months. I believe my son learned more from the traveling than he did rushing back to the first day of school to attend the first semester. Later after school began, I was talking to the (small town) Principal and he asked me why I did not make him aware of our summer trip beforehand because he would have given my son extended time off and credit.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:48 PM

4 posts, read 8,082 times
Smile I thank each of you

Thank you everyone for giving me some of your experience. It's a dream but not sure if it's a reasonable enough dream.....money wise. I'm learning all that I can to see if it's feasable for us. Sincere appreciation for your thoughts and wisdom.
Jackie

Old 10-08-2012, 11:55 PM

4 posts, read 8,082 times
Default Thank you.

I forgot to check email notification. Not sure how except to reply. I Thank each of you again.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,257 times
Im thinking of buying a motorhome and using it as my primary residence. I think I could do it affordably if I bought land in my home state and just parked it there and lived in it. What is the cheapest way to park it though when I travel? For instance if I want to go to Florida for 6 months? Can anyone help me out?

Old 04-19-2014, 10:52 PM

284 posts, read 421,574 times
Jack1366, I lived in a motorhome for about a year, but didn't travel much. Try cheaprvliving.com. They have a lot of information that might be helpful to you.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:59 AM

34,406 posts, read 41,518,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Has anyone on this board gone across the country in an RV and lived in the RV? I had a Dr. friend who did abortions who hid out from right-to-lifers for 6 years this way, and he seemed to not mind it.
I got to wondering if anyone on here has done that, and how hard was it on you?
Guessing people shower at campsites (eeewwwww icky?) and cook in the RV, but I was curious as to how living like that is? Supposedly there are people who do this in Florida all the time, moving around to another site when necessary.
Opinions?
I wonder what this would cost you yearly to do? And how many repairs there would be to the RV? Surely the costs to fix an RV would be higher than a car but I have no real idea.
IMO its not a lifestyle to jump right into, you should get into it gradually to see if you actually like the lifestyle.
This is not a cheap way to go as maintenance and repairs on rv's can be expensive,so to can parking fees, electrical hookup is almost mandatory for comfort especially in the summer as the vehicle quickly turns into an oven without air conditioning.then theres the plumbing issues of dumping and cleaning your tanks.
Then theres the actual cost of the rv which can range from a $5K beater that needs major repairs to a half a million $$ Prevost bus.
Fulltime rving isnt everyone cup of tea.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:24 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,913,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Has anyone on this board gone across the country in an RV and lived in the RV? I had a Dr. friend who did abortions who hid out from right-to-lifers for 6 years this way, and he seemed to not mind it.
Yes. I went from NYC all over the western states and saw many of the famous tourist attractions. We lived 31 days in a Class-B van conversion.

Quote:
I got to wondering if anyone on here has done that, and how hard was it on you?
That depends how much you drive around. That can get stressful after awhile. We would take brakes of a couple of days at certain campgrounds.

Quote:
Guessing people shower at campsites (eeewwwww icky?) and cook in the RV, but I was curious as to how living like that is? Supposedly there are people who do this in Florida all the time, moving around to another site when necessary.
Opinions?
Most RVs have small bathrooms where you can shower. Very few of the newer RVs have no bathrooms or toilets. We stayed in FL for 3 1/2 half months this winter in a 28' X 8' TravelTrailer and had no problems at all. There are several million Americans living in RVs fulltime. It's a cheap way to live.

Quote:
I wonder what this would cost you yearly to do? And how many repairs there would be to the RV? Surely the costs to fix an RV would be higher than a car but I have no real idea.
A Class-C or B is no more expensive to have repaired than a van or pickup truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or