U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 02:30 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,890,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Thank for the interesting info. I got on a few RV websites, and was just surprised at the cost of repairs and all the problems with driving big rigs across country. And the cost of a good, new rv is the cost of a condo most places! I had no idea it was so expensive. This is not a cheap lifestyle, that is for sure.
Go for used and avoid diesels as they are much more expensive to have repaired. Look at Class-Bs and Cs. You can find older Class-Cs for as little as $5,000. Check on Craigslist for your area. There are plenty of people with little money living in RVs of all kinds.

Quote:
My girlfriend from college and her husband rv around the country in a Silverstream. Now that I have found out how expensive this hobby is, I promise to quit making fun of them.
It doesn't have to be expensive!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post

My worry about the RV thing is inconsiderate 'neighbors'. By that I mean noise, bonfires, music, etc. People can be incredibly obtuse about those things when they're on vacation. It's the main reason why I'd never go on an RV trip.
This rarely happens in private campgrounds, even state and COE CGs have strict rules about noise, loud music, barking dogs etc. Not all CGs and resorts allow fires. We've been traveling and camping and snow-birding since 2008 and only had two bad experience with noisy neighbors. One call to the Camp Host and they were told to shut the music off or leave. The other place closed the office at 6 PM so we were out of luck. Only 2 experiences in all that time. I've stayed at Hotels and Motels just as noisy.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstanya View Post

.....we spent a lot of nights at walmart parking lots or other parking lots that we were allowed to stay in for free. that enabled us to stay traveling longer. ate a lot of hamburger helper! good inexpensive meal....
We also "Wally Dock" when on the road. It saved us a bundle over the years. We also like WM lots because we run in and buy cooked rotisserie chicken and potato salad or whatever for dinner and not bother to cook. The only time we'll pay for a CG is when we either need a few days break from the road or need to do laundry, dump the tanks and take on freshwater. We've also spent nights in Truck Stop RV areas and Rest Areas that allow overnight parking.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose4him View Post
Can anyone out there who has done this give me some pointers and best places to see and how is living in a RV and in campgrounds. I have lived in an RV for 2 years but it was a park model and I didn't travel in it, but as a single person I think I would love it. But I also want to be safe and comfortable.
A few good sites to learn about hitting the road are forums at RV and iRV2 Forums as there are hundreds of people there with many years of experience to answer all your questions.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
To all you RV-ers: We truckers sure appreciate the courtesies (blinking lights, moving over, etc.) that you extend to us! We feel like you all are our best allies out on the road because you understand what driving a large vehicle is like; Happy RV-ing!
Thank you. We also appreciate the courtesies from truckers we share the roads and truckstops with. You guys (and ladies) are the best.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
Atlanta is horrible...we drive out of our way to avoid driving the MH thru there anymore.

We have to go through Atlanta on our way to FL in the winter. We make sure we don't hit Atlanta until later in the evening when traffic is very light. Sometimes we hit the city at 10 or 11 at night. That's the safest time and avoids the suffocating traffic and lunatics on the road. As soon as we get past the city we look for a WalMart to spend the night.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1366 View Post
Im thinking of buying a motorhome and using it as my primary residence. I think I could do it affordably if I bought land in my home state and just parked it there and lived in it. What is the cheapest way to park it though when I travel? For instance if I want to go to Florida for 6 months? Can anyone help me out?
Make sure you can legally do that before you buy land. On the road the cheapest place to spend the night are Truck and Rest Stops and WalMart lots. Look for signs that say No Overnight Parking in the WM lots - if you don't see one, go ahead and park.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:09 AM

22,656 posts, read 28,672,666 times
Quote:
..........if I bought land in my home state and just parked it there and lived in it. What is the cheapest way to park it though when I travel? For instance if I want to go to Florida for 6 months?........,
First thing is to be sure you buy a place where it is legal to live in your motor home for 6 months.

If you want to keep moving around for 6 months in Florida, maybe there is a cheap way to park, or maybe there isn't; I don't know about Florida. But there is very unlikely to be a place where you can park for cheap for 6 months.

If you want to snowbird, the easiest and least stress way to do it would be to buy land in your home area and set that up for your motor home and then buy another cheap lot in Florid where you can legally live in your motor home for 6 months out of the year.

Both locations could have a storage building where you could leave things like lawn chairs and barbecues and not have to haul them back and forth. The storage building could contain the electric and sewer hookups so they could be locked and not invite squatters to live on your land as soon as you move off. You could have a permanent covered porch area where you can set up an outdoor living area while you are there.

If you get back away from the beaches in Florida, there are some extremely cheap lots available.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:01 PM

That place in Silver Springs is only $150 a month if you pay by the year. A little more for 3 or 6 months. It's in the ONF and only 5 miles from the city and about 12 miles from Ocala. Some folks who don't have a lot of money live in these places and seem very happy.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:16 PM

1,477 posts, read 5,028,611 times
Quote:
Im thinking of buying a motorhome and using it as my primary residence. I think I could do it affordably if I bought land in my home state and just parked it there and lived in it. What is the cheapest way to park it though when I travel? For instance if I want to go to Florida for 6 months? Can anyone help me out?
Jack full timing in an RV is a great lifestyle but why would you want to buy a motor home and then buy property to put it on.....first you would have to see if your local zoning Laws would even allow that (doubtful) and second you would still have to run the normal water, electric and sewer lines to the property so it would be cheaper to place a double wide or prefab home on that piece of land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or