U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 06:40 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,301,620 times

Advertisements

For additional info check out travelinwithus.com.......
there is a lot of info there in ref to RVin.... fulltime or otherwise.
Look under "Travelin' Maps" and "Travelin' Resources" at the top of page.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 04:07 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,541,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
This rarely happens in private campgrounds, even state and COE CGs have strict rules about noise, loud music, barking dogs etc. Not all CGs and resorts allow fires. We've been traveling and camping and snow-birding since 2008 and only had two bad experience with noisy neighbors. One call to the Camp Host and they were told to shut the music off or leave. The other place closed the office at 6 PM so we were out of luck. Only 2 experiences in all that time. I've stayed at Hotels and Motels just as noisy.
Ditto. People wanting to party and get rowdy don't stay at private RV campgrounds because they cost money and have pretty tight rules. I've never had any problems with noise in a private or state park RV campground (basically any place with hookups). In fact, usually the opposite is true, most other campers are older and on extended trips so they tend to retire at dusk and the whole place is like a ghost town after 8pm.

On the other hand if you're boon-docking out in BLM land, or staying at some un-hosted campground (especially if it's free or very low fee) expect that it may get loud if the wrong group decides to show up at the wrong time. But the worst noise problems I've ever had, by far, has always been at motels or when visiting family and 'camping' in the driveway.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:05 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,917,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Ditto. People wanting to party and get rowdy don't stay at private RV campgrounds because they cost money and have pretty tight rules. I've never had any problems with noise in a private or state park RV campground (basically any place with hookups). In fact, usually the opposite is true, most other campers are older and on extended trips so they tend to retire at dusk and the whole place is like a ghost town after 8pm.
Yes, this is what we found also. The only time we heard what could be called "noise" by the sensitive people are on Holiday weekends when the CGs are full of families - younger people. But by quiet time, around 10 PM, the CGs do indeed become like a ghost town. Most campers are very considerate people. Now retired we choose to skip camping on the holidays not because of noise, but because it's just too darn crowded.

Quote:
On the other hand if you're boon-docking out in BLM land, or staying at some un-hosted campground (especially if it's free or very low fee) expect that it may get loud if the wrong group decides to show up at the wrong time. But the worst noise problems I've ever had, by far, has always been at motels or when visiting family and 'camping' in the driveway.
I hear that!

Old 04-24-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Now retired we choose to skip camping on the holidays not because of noise, but because it's just too darn crowded.
Oh I'm not even retired yet and I already do that. I'll still do it when my kids start school, though the total number of days we can be out are limited compared to what I could do if retired.

I have a friend down in San Diego that said he recently decided to give his 'local' camping a try. He started going to county or state parks pretty close to the city instead of driving hours away to the sierra or down into mex. He said that so far 3 out of 3 experiences were horrible, with lots of noise, police showing up in the middle of the night for domestic disputers, wild parties… etc. So maybe if you camped in or near cities regularly (especially in SoCal) you would have some real problems. I never have, but I NEVER camp in or near a city either.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:36 PM

7,201 posts, read 11,917,487 times
Quote:
Oh I'm not even retired yet and I already do that. I'll still do it when my kids start school, though the total number of days we can be out are limited compared to what I could do if retired.
I understand. We love retirement - it's total freedom.

Quote:
I have a friend down in San Diego that said he recently decided to give his 'local' camping a try. He started going to county or state parks pretty close to the city instead of driving hours away to the sierra or down into mex. He said that so far 3 out of 3 experiences were horrible, with lots of noise, police showing up in the middle of the night for domestic disputers, wild parties… etc.
He's going to the wrong places. He needs to get on RV or iRV2 Forums and ask if anyone knows of any good places in his area. We haven't been to Calif so have no clue what your public CGs there are like. Your friend may be happier in private CGs as that kind of craziness isn't allowed.

Quote:
So maybe if you camped in or near cities regularly (especially in SoCal) you would have some real problems. I never have, but I NEVER camp in or near a city either.
We camped many times near Nashville TN and other cities with no problems like you're describing. In fact the worst place was a private CG called Buttonwood in NewMexico PA. It was out in the Boonies. The office closed at 5 or 6 PM so there was no one to call when a bunch of hysterical screaming foot-stomping drunks went completely insane over a ballgame. We'd never go back there again....

Old 04-24-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
He's going to the wrong places. He needs to get on RV or iRV2 Forums and ask if anyone knows of any good places in his area. We haven't been to Calif so have no clue what your public CGs there are like. Your friend may be happier in private CGs as that kind of craziness isn't allowed.
No, he doesn't RV and won't need iRV2 suggestions. It was just an anecdotal story that he told me after he decided to give certain types of campgrounds a try which he'd avoided for years. Privately run RV campgrounds or other places with hosts are always a different story because they have lots of rules and people to help enforce them and they don't usually attract troublesome crowds anyways.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:31 AM

6,075 posts, read 9,543,766 times
Quote:

I have a friend down in San Diego that said he recently decided to give his 'local' camping a try. He started going to county or state parks pretty close to the city instead of driving hours away to the sierra or down into mex. He said that so far 3 out of 3 experiences were horrible, with lots of noise, police showing up in the middle of the night for domestic disputers, wild parties… etc. So maybe if you camped in or near cities regularly (especially in SoCal) you would have some real problems. I never have, but I NEVER camp in or near a city either.
We've been camping in San Diego County parks and forest service campgrounds for years. We never had any instance of "horrible" noise. Worst we had was one group of young adults, but even they settled down around midnight. I've never seen police show up at a campground - closest was a towtruck that took a new-looking sports car. Oh - and there was the four-year-old who's loser dad didn't prevent him from shrieking at 6 AM right behind our camper.

As your friend seems to attract noise and trouble, please warn me where he's camping so we can stay away from there.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
We've been camping in San Diego County parks and forest service campgrounds for years. We never had any instance of "horrible" noise. Worst we had was one group of young adults, but even they settled down around midnight. I've never seen police show up at a campground - closest was a towtruck that took a new-looking sports car. Oh - and there was the four-year-old who's loser dad didn't prevent him from shrieking at 6 AM right behind our camper.

As your friend seems to attract noise and trouble, please warn me where he's camping so we can stay away from there.
He doesn't do anything to attract trouble, it just happened. It was just a story, not meant to be a forecast for all SD County camping, and I camped plenty of times out there back in the day with no issues. But if you're camping with other people around, especially without walls, there will eventually be noise problems. The more people around (like, IN a city) the higher the likelihood. And in a camping area with no host, ranger, rules, etc… which is still easily accessible my many people, then your chances go way up.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:50 PM

4,771 posts, read 3,202,850 times
Last summer we went across country in the camper van. We were gone for 6 week-did the national parks & visited family. It was a GREAT trip but it was good to get home.

Cat

Old 05-07-2014, 05:51 PM

206 posts, read 131,504 times
I haven't done it, but I think it would be fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or