Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 6,165 times

Advertisements

I've been an empty Nester now for about 3 years and Seriously have to make a change…
Want to buy travel trailer because I'm in my early 50s & husbands and I have home which is very nice but I'm a country girl & would like a small travel trailer to stay in more times than not. Have many relatives & father in the state right next to ours, about a 5 – 6 Hour drive, whom I love to go see and spend some time with. My father is in his 80s and my husband has no problem with me spending a week at a time with my father. Only problem my father has no place for me to sleep any longer but enough land for me to park a travel trailer for periods of time. Also, husband works so much during the week & I can work from anywhere. Live in a beautiful state thinking that I can take it to nearby places, Parks, campgrounds etc. Have realized at this point in time in my life I want to get out a house and do a little local traveling, fishing and be outdoors as well. Thinking that I can come home during the week when want/need to & husband can come up on weekends & we can go boating, fishing and hiking. Husband's open to the idea.
We have daughters that live out west Utah and Tahoe California that at some point in time we would like to take it on vacation out that way too. We love in Southeast.

So what do I need, what do I look for in purchasing a 16 ft. Travel trailer? As it would be used as a home away from home as well as for travel for mostly myself. I've done most of my looking and comparing online. I know I want a full shower/commode combo, electrical/propane. I do know that I would need some type of Wi-Fi connection but I'm thinking that that could be to my carrier, right? As for cable TV you can do like dish, satellite? And I've seen someone else mentioned something about digital? There is so much that I don't know what to look for. Later this year I'm going out to Utah for the birth of my second grandchild and would like to take travel trailer. So I know that I have some major issues to consider with heating not to mention what I need to do from keeping water lines from freezing as well as myself. What would be the must haves for this type of use?

I grew up a big-time tomboy, driving trucks, four-wheel-drive's etc. and hunting, fishing, boating & camping, along with three older brothers. Raised my kids as a single mother. Did many of my own car and home repairs. So feel somewhat confident that I can handle small travel trailer, driving, parking, securing, changing tires etc. and I know there's a lot of etc.

Will be deeply grateful for any and all constructive info. I'm already grateful for this forum is a lot of useful information on here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 12:47 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
To answer the easy questions ...
Quote:
I do know that I would need some type of Wi-Fi connection but I'm thinking that that could be to my carrier, right?
I use my Verizon Jetpack, also known as a hotspot. The surrounding terrain has a lot to do with how well it works. If you're in a valley with cliffs, it can be iffy. Many people use their smartphones as a hot spot. Do not count on campgrounds having decent WiFi, no matter what they advertise
Quote:
As for cable TV you can do like dish, satellite?
I have an antennae on my roof to pick up local channels. If I'm in a campground that offers cable, I have a connection. If I'm in the boonies and can't pick up anything, my 12-volt flatscreen has a DVD slot on the side.
Quote:
So I know that I have some major issues to consider with heating not to mention what I need to do from keeping water lines from freezing as well as myself.
The Little Buddy Heater is popular. Runs on the little 1-lb. disposable bottles of propane. Note - most factory installed heaters are noisy. Open cupboard doors so the heat can get in there. For plumbing in the basement, some people use a light bulb Some people camp 'dry' - plumbing system blown out and tanks drained - and they use bottled water. But that also means they don't use the black tank. I just stay away from cold places, LOL.

I also have solar on my roof and batteries and an inverter/converter to run stuff (and recharge cell phone, computer, and Kindle) where there are no hook-ups. My fridge is a 3-way -- can run on propane, DC power (for solar), and AC power (plugged in, AKA shore power).

I carry wasp spray as protection. Never needed it, but I have it.

Both RVSue and Becky have 17 foot Casita trailers. There's also the Scamp trailers, the EggTrailer, the PaloMini, the WolfPup ...
Edited to add - floor plan is everything.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:24 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,591,884 times
Another thing to consider is, it's all well and good for your trailer to have plumbing and electrical wiring, but will the places you're hoping to park it (at your relatives' homes) have the facility to extend water and electricity out to your trailer? And what about sewer dumping?

In addition to things like Casita and Scamp and EggTrailers, there are more deluxe - and more expensive - small trailers. We have a Lance 1575 (more expensive than most except Airstream, but also better quality than most except Airstream) which is 15'. It has a slide-out for additional space. But then, we're anticipating two of us spending extended time in the trailer, so that might be over-kill for your purposes.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:43 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Another thing to consider is, it's all well and good for your trailer to have plumbing and electrical wiring, but will the places you're hoping to park it (at your relatives' homes) have the facility to extend water and electricity out to your trailer? And what about sewer dumping?

In addition to things like Casita and Scamp and EggTrailers, there are more deluxe - and more expensive - small trailers. We have a Lance 1575 (more expensive than most except Airstream, but also better quality than most except Airstream) which is 15'. It has a slide-out for additional space. But then, we're anticipating two of us spending extended time in the trailer, so that might be over-kill for your purposes.
Yeah, I agree. Always carry good-length drinking-water hose and long heavy duty extension cord Oh - and a surge protector too.

A 15' with a slide? Sounds nice!

Old 06-26-2014, 02:39 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,465 times
I'd also recommend you taking a look at the Escape trailer line.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:32 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
Sounds to me like you've got the experience to know what you need to satisfy your extended camping needs.

I've found that I can get by for most of my Rocky Mountain region states travels with my 3G iPad2 for 'net connectivity and communications. My package from Verizon works about as well as anything I've seen ... as long as I've got the 'net connectivity, I'm good to go. I bought a LG 17" TV/DVD player unit, so I can watch DVD's when I'm parked (I rarely watch commercial TV). I understand that I can tether the iPad to the TV, but haven't had the need to do so. IMO, best to buy a conventional 110V TV and use a converter if you're on 12vDC power from your house battery in your travels.

Finding a winterized camper with a floor plan that optomizes your 1 person traveling needs for long term stays will be the challenge. Most are set up for more people than fewer, and that typically cuts into your storage for essentials and such over the longer time frame. You may need to have a camper interior built or modified for your needs.

My preference for hot water supply is to get an on-demand water heater rather than the typical suburban (brand) 6-gallon tank heater. You'll save space and operating cost to heat your water.

You'll also want a well insulated trailer with upgraded windows. Standard trailer windows are woefully inefficient, which makes them difficult to heat in the cold months. Again, upgrading over standard for the climate you intend to operate in will pay dividends over your uses.

While radiant heaters are nice and generally much quieter than gas-forced air units, finding the space to safely use one with appropriate fire safety clearance from combustibles within the confines of a small trailer can be a challenge. Another concern is your fresh-air make up supply; you must have a combustion air source (slightly open window?) or you'll run out of oxygen in the trailer even with a radiant heater. My solution when I've got shore power is to use a couple 1200-1500 watt small ceramic cube space heaters. They are fairly efficient and the circulating fans are much quieter ... less obtrusive ... than the fan of my Surburban forced-air propane furnace in my RV. Capable of keeping my 19' Class B RV comfortable in sub-zero weather.

Try to scale your appliance and utility use to a 30 amp maximum, with a 20 amp target max use. Why? Because your Dad's place will not likely have a 30 amp outlet for you to plug an extension cord to; a typical 110v garage outlet will have a 20 amp circuit breaker (and you've got to deal with the voltage drop if you're any distance away from the outlet). Normal trailer park outlet boxes have 30 amp and 50 amp protected circuits. Most residences won't have these for an RV unless they have an electrician wire one up from the main circuit breaker box.

As mentioned above, where do you intend to hook up your gray/black water outlet from the RV when at your Dad's place? If he doesn't have a place for you to connect to his household sewer line, you'll be needing to dump your holding tanks every few days if you're showering every day and using your indoor facilities. Don't forget to use a water pressure regulator on the inlet hose to your RV to protect it from any excess pressure from your source. Which brings up the concern for winter time freeze up for your source water connection and potable water hose (these are generally white hoses to identify them as used for potable water use only). You've got to get an insulated/heated hose from the hydrant (or water source) to your RV. Same for your wastes tankage, the drain hose has to be insulated/heated during the winter months.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:20 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Please try a few before buying.

What is your tow vehicle, and it's weight and rating?

A 16' can actually be a handful at times (single axle bounce and sway)

Tandems are SO much nicer to tow (and live in) And same price (used). More for tires every 7 yrs. and more for fuel (maybe, depends on your tow buggy)

I had a friend that bought an 18' 5th wheel (tandem) That was a swell rig, was quite roomy and handles excellent. He did lots of back-country fishing so could get into small sites. I don't like the idea of dedicating the rear cargo capacity of the pickup to a hitch, but... the 5r handles very nice and I consider it a safer combination to tow. (Even for tomboys..) I have see too many male and female drivers crash their bumper tow trailers due to not properly responding to sway from a truck passing them or heading downhill or braking too fast.

Take an RV class / Rodeo from Escapees.com

You WILL want an Awning and an outdoor shower, and mountable BBQ.

Consider some other options.

With high fuel costs... you might consider planting an RV (as a guest house) at your Utah or Tahoe locations and flying back and forth via Reno, SMF, or LV discount flights. Used RV and decent tow vehicles are CHEAP.

Or... guest houses that you can stay in short term. (maybe a neighbor of your daughters has a garage or basement apartment). We have retired friends that rent a UT apartment for 2 - 3 months / yr for LESS than the fuel to drive there in RV.

My DW likes to Camp, so I got her a 'woman's camper (Rialta) truly a class C, in the package of a Class B. My Mom used a Roadtrek (B) to augment her HUGE RV. She eventually switched 100% to the Roadtrek and lived (still@age 85) happily ever after solo RVing to her life's content..

We often fly / drive the RV, as it fits in a std parking spot. ($3/ day COVERED at Tucson Airport!!). It has stayed in LV, PHX, ELP, SAT, SAN, SMF, so we could come back and enjoy the best time of yr in different locations, while getting home often or visiting elsewhere while we wait for Desert Flowers to bloom.

Verizon 4g with hotspot will be pretty good for internet and wifi. and web TV if you can afford the data!

I have both USB modem (3g) and 4g Sim Card (smart phone with hotspot tether (Which I am using tonight in Asia)). Between the 2, I usually get reception while RVing in USA (except in remote located national parks ... like Big Bend, and parts of Canyonland). Sometimes I have to go to visitor center to get a signal (Death Valley).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-28-2014 at 11:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing