Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 27,323 times

Advertisements

I am an RN looking to retire in about 3 years and my dream is to buy a class C motor home and start traveling. I will be able to teach online as I will have my Masters degree in Nursing complete by then giving me the freedom and finances to do this. So I am hoping you can give me some pointers, and safe and fun places for a single woman to travel to. I love travel and have been looking forward to the day I would have the freedome to do it and feel this is a great way to do it. If I am tired or just love a place I can stay for as long as I want when ready to move on, just move on. Any thoughts or suggestions I will appreciate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 11:20 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
There are RV specific forums on the web that cover lots of that kind of stuff. Do a "google"..

DH and I have been RVing for years. Now we tow an airstream with 2 kids and love it. We are planning to "snowbird" If I am able to retire, if our health is good.

Good luck!

Old 05-17-2007, 11:02 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
To all you RV-ers: We truckers sure appreciate the courtesies (blinking lights, moving over, etc.) that you extend to us! We feel like you all are our best allies out on the road because you understand what driving a large vehicle is like; Happy RV-ing!

Old 05-17-2007, 07:02 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
You're welcome Crew Chief! I notice my husband always gives those signals. We've also found most truckers to be very courteous. Just scares me when we're in lots of traffic and I could reach out and shake hands with you! Atlanta is horrible...we drive out of our way to avoid driving the MH thru there anymore.

rose4him: What a great plan! First, learn all you can about the motorhome and how to operate everything. You can even purchase DVDs online showing how to hook up a sewer line, water, propane, etc. I saw one for about $25. Make sure you're insured well and have a road assistance insurance plan too. Just keep everything well maintained -- oil changes, tire rotations, etc.

Since you're single and traveling, I'd probably stay in trusted private parks (Good Sam approved or other similar parks) that are fairly close to main roads -- in case of a problem. With your work, you'll need internet services that some places do not provide -- particularly my favorite state or national parks. We've been in many locations where there's no cell service. Get a good campground directory. Trailer Life is one; Woodalls is another and I'm sure there are more. Hit the library for books on RVing.

I just found a website that may fit you perfectly: http://www.rvingwomen.org/who.html (broken link)

I hope your dreams come true! Oh, another thing. We are members of Good Sam Club and can go online and make our own trip plans within our chosen parameters. So you may want to check that out, too.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:38 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
You're welcome Crew Chief! I notice my husband always gives those signals. We've also found most truckers to be very courteous. Just scares me when we're in lots of traffic and I could reach out and shake hands with you! Atlanta is horrible...we drive out of our way to avoid driving the MH thru there anymore.
Driving close to other vehicles can get a little unnerving! Even after a million miles in a big truck, my "pucker factor" STILL increases in construction zones and places like the Brent Spence Bridge in Cincinnati (Locals call it the "B.S. Bridge" for good reason) Centering my truck in my lane and just watching traffic on my sides with peripheral vision helps a lot, I've found. And, YES, Atlanta is one of my least-favorite cities. Thru trucks are restricted to using I-285 (which may be for our own protection) and are restricted to the right two lanes. Since the traffic lanes are continually changing with off- and on-ramps and junctions with other highways, we truckers have to constantly be aware of what lane we're in. I worried a LOT about hitting a car in my blind spot becuase I was so focused on not getting a ticket for being in the wrong lane... Happy RVing!

Old 05-24-2007, 11:19 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
I love this topic...because we are doing this now! When the one and only son went off to college, we sold the stick and mortar house, all the "stuff" and I decided to travel with hubby's job full time. So now we live in what we affectionately call our "traveling hotel." We have all the creature comforts of home, including the big screen, washer/dryer, and satellite internet. We have met some of the most wonderful folks on the road and we often get to see those out-of-the-way, strange and unusual places that are not listed on any travel guide. So far... 4 years and counting and we still are not ready to settle down again soon.....

Old 06-04-2007, 01:47 PM

797 posts, read 2,991,386 times
16 days and counting until I depart on my 7 week journey from San Antonio to Seattle with my 4 kids and 2 dogs in our travel trailer! It will be the longest trip we've taken so far. Driving long distance with out the DH is quite the chore, too bad he's not closer to retiring, for now it's just me and the kiddos.

In January 2005 (we only had a pop-up trailer at the time) a good friend of mine and her 4 kids joined me and my 4 for a 3 week journey from Seattle to Peoria. It was the best vacation of my life and I expect this one coming up to be even better!

Our new Outback travel trailer (23ft) is small compared to the 5th wheels that the retirees tend to have, but its plenty for us. We love to see the country and staying at State and National Parks, the private parks are great for long stays because they usually also have a pool. The cost is worth it, and if you take care of your vehicles the biggest expense really is the gas. I also use the Walmarts along the way just to save money and get a nights rest when needed.

I'm not sure renting a unit is really worth the cost, but I guess if you just want to experiment with the idea renting is a good start. You really can buy a good sized new unit for less than the cost of a used SUV, and if you shop around you could probably find a decent used unit for a good price.

I'm glad I found this thread, it reminded me of a few other details I need to take care of before we hit the road. It can be a little nerving driving on the highways so we need to get a swaybar added to our set-up. Rv'ing is the best way to vacation, second to mai tai's on a sandy beach in the carribean of course.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:07 PM

740 posts, read 1,973,052 times
Default Soon to be a full time rver.

Well, sort of. I work in Anchorage alaska as a self-employed carpet installer. I am leaving early September down into the lower 48 for the spring, fall and winter. Snow-bird basically. Due to my job, I can easily find work just about anywhere. The winters up here get cold and very dark, and I am getting tired of it. I bought my travel trailer a few weeks ago and have already broken it in. I need my truck for work, so that is why I chose a travel trailer over a motorhome or fifth wheel. My plans are to do this for a couple of years and scout out the perfect place to settle down. My family in Alaska are all moving away in the next couple of years, so no real reason for me to stay. Originally I was hoping to find someone to join me, but no luck. Most people are not up to not living in a stick home. I am sure over time, I will find someone as a helper. At any rate, I know I will have a blast.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:32 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
We have not done RV across the country but have driven from NY to Vancouver, BC in December.

It was a wonderful experience and we cannot wait to do it again. Maybe the next time we will do it with a fifth wheeler.
Oh to take a summer off and just be free

dorothy

Old 12-26-2009, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,194 times
Has anyone rented an rv for a trip and then flew home at the end of your trip?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing