Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 01:30 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Hi Tin Knocker,
Very nice your pics too. I and my familly we love all about nature. I hope to live in a place like this some day.
How far is it from "civilization"??

Depends on your definition of civilization.

Its in New England, the northeaster corner of the US in the state of New Hampshire, perhaps 50 miles south of Canada or a little less. The town has about 900 people in it but they mostly live in a few pockets.

It takes us about 4.5 to 5.5 hours or 320 miles to get there but worth every minute. Someday when I dont need a job I'll live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 05:04 PM

597 posts, read 1,298,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Depends on your definition of civilization.

Its in New England, the northeaster corner of the US in the state of New Hampshire, perhaps 50 miles south of Canada or a little less. The town has about 900 people in it but they mostly live in a few pockets.

It takes us about 4.5 to 5.5 hours or 320 miles to get there but worth every minute. Someday when I dont need a job I'll live there.
That is great!! This is the paradise if you can live in a few pockets with all nature around you.
No cars, no cell phone, no stress, no job, no crime. A place like it is the "gate" of heaven, in Brazil or USA. The life will be better.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:48 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
I'll be camping and fishing this weekend, going to a out of the way little camp along a couple of streams.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:51 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,931 times
I camp all the time, though I haven't actually visited a proper camp ground in some time. Usually we just pack up the trucks and head to the forest service land around here (Sierra Nevada). My friends and I found a very beautiful spot that's exactly one hour from my house. It's well off the beaten path down miles of logging roads, and it's an expansive meadow with a swim-able (and fish-able) creek running through the middle of it. A five minute drive up the logging trail takes you to a waterfall with a natural granite water slide that lands in a 10-15 deep splash pool. It's awesome. We figure that the meadow is probably big enough to camp 100 people if we wanted to, and there are a ton of ATV trails all throughout the area. I'm looking forward to getting back up there once the snow melts.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:15 AM

32 posts, read 64,240 times
I always like camping, I haven't been camping since 1996. Hopefully one day I'll get to go back.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:26 PM

597 posts, read 1,298,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsonkicker View Post
I always like camping, I haven't been camping since 1996. Hopefully one day I'll get to go back.
Since 1996 you are loosing good life's moments. You must to go back right now!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 06:56 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,862 times
Hope it's OK if I bump this up.

Tin Knocker, I like the same kind of camping you do. The less people the better. Mind if I ask the general area where your pictures were taken (no need to reveal your secret spots)? Or if you have any recommendations on a nice, quiet spot to spend a weekend?

I haven't camped in years because we had our own little cabin and woods prior to moving to NH, but now we're renters and I need my nature fix.

Brazilian, thanks for posting those pictures. Looks like your family knows how to have fun.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:29 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Hope it's OK if I bump this up.

Tin Knocker, I like the same kind of camping you do. The less people the better. Mind if I ask the general area where your pictures were taken (no need to reveal your secret spots)? Or if you have any recommendations on a nice, quiet spot to spend a weekend?

I haven't camped in years because we had our own little cabin and woods prior to moving to NH, but now we're renters and I need my nature fix.

Not at all. Most of the are from up in Coos county. Our camp is in Stratford. Theres a campground just south of us on RT 3, Big Rock campground, theyre on the web if your interested. But I'm not sure I'd call it quiet. They cater to ATVers & snowmobilers, might be quiet now but in a few weeks they start getting busy.
There are however a couple different cabin rentals up the road in Columbia that might suit your needs.
Theres also cabins for rent/lease in Stratford bog. Those are fairly remote & while I'm certain it gets busy sometimes most times I go out there its very quiet, I like watching the loons & theres often moose in the bog pond. I dont know the perticulars, just that I always see for rent/lease signs on the camps.

Up a bit further in Pittsburg there are more camping spots & cabin/hotels too, many very close to or on the Connecticut lakes, its a truly beautiful area, a few of my pictures I posted were from Lake Francis & the First CT lake.

What I like the most about the north country up there is its all open, if you see something you think might be interesting to hike, hunt, fish, canoe or whatever its usually there for the taking.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:51 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,862 times
Thanks, Tin Knocker, that's really helpful! Stratford Bog sounds perfect, I'll probably look for places there first. Might take a ride up there tomorrow, in fact. I'd like to scope out some areas in case we get drawn in the moose lottery.

Thanks again for the help. Those pictures are just awesome. What a great state this is.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:56 PM

1,396 posts, read 3,442,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
What I like the most about the north country up there is its all open, if you see something you think might be interesting to hike, hunt, fish, canoe or whatever its usually there for the taking.
These are from Pittsburg Nh., summer of 06. A beautiful area indeed!

Perry Pond, just a couple miles from the Canadian border.

Scott Bog

Conn. river between First Lake and Lake Francis.

Atop Diamond Ridge w/ Second Lake in the background.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing