U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2009, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
597 posts, read 1,156,992 times
Reputation: 414

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinuteMan View Post
These are from Pittsburg Nh., summer of 06. A beautiful area indeed!

Perry Pond, just a couple miles from the Canadian border.



Scott Bog



Conn. river between First Lake and Lake Francis.



Atop Diamond Ridge w/ Second Lake in the background.
Hi MinuteMan,
Very nice!! Your country has beautiful places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2009, 04:14 AM
 
Location: Nova Scotia
458 posts, read 1,172,425 times
Reputation: 455
I love to camp! we go from May to October/November in fact we are going this long weekend coming up. We can go for 10 days to 2 days we don't care. Our camping gear is always packed and ready all we have to do is throw it in the back of the truck, great for last minute planning. we too have to watch for bears where we go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2009, 04:29 AM
 
Location: Wandering in the West
817 posts, read 1,952,350 times
Reputation: 900
Hi Belinda. Got any pictures of your area? I'm packing up some gear for my truck too. Can't wait to get out there and explore the back woods! I'd probably live in the woods like a hermit, if my husband would go along with it.

We drove Rt. 3 (Moose Alley) up to the Canadian border last weekend. Didn't see a single moose. We stopped at Third Connecticut Lake and Lake Francis, but we don't have a tent yet and most of the rental cabins up there wouldn't allow a dog, so we didn't stay the night. We went to a motel in Lincoln and drove the Kangamagus Highway the next day. What an awesome trip! Would've been better if I'd known in advance where to go off the highway and explore, but I didn't have a lot of time to research before we went.

Tin Knocker - do you know of any places up north where we can (legally) pitch a tent outside of a campground? Or is it not allowed? Even a campground would be ok if we can go off trail to camp and if guns are allowed. I'll be camping by myself sometimes during the week and I don't care to be out there unarmed. We had no cell phone signals up there at all.

MinuteMan - very nice pictures, thanks for sharing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2009, 06:43 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,504,939 times
Reputation: 2569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post


Tin Knocker - do you know of any places up north where we can (legally) pitch a tent outside of a campground? Or is it not allowed? Even a campground would be ok if we can go off trail to camp and if guns are allowed. I'll be camping by myself sometimes during the week and I don't care to be out there unarmed. We had no cell phone signals up there at all.
Cell phones go out pretty much for good above Colebrook. If you dont mind stopping a little further south theres a chunk of the WMNF (white mountain national forest) just below Groveton (Cell phones usually work in Groveton) In the national forest you can camp anywhere you want. I havent explored the forest much down there but I'm certain theres plenty of great spots to camp. Heres a link that may help, White Mountain National Forest- Recreational Activities Heres another, the Kilkenny area is the one I was talking about. http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/whit...inal/index.php
You might contact the paper companies up there & see if any of them allow camping, I'd be surprised if they dont. Pittsburg is the only place I'v seen up there that states no camping outside of campgrounds. I bet if you asked you would get permission.
NH has a tax status they call current use. You get an awesom tax break but have to leave it acessable for passive recreation, thats one reason so little of it is posted. Nobody I'v asked has denied me acess for any reason, be it hunting, fishing or camping.

Theres a spot in Columbia right on the CT river that folks camp on sometimes. Its private property but the owners dont care. During the week theres usually nobody there. Its just north of the Stratford/Columbia line on the west side of RT3. If you are going north its a few miles north of North Stratford, you will see a small drive in burger joint on the right & then maybe 1/2 mile or less theres a pull off on the left. At the end of the pull off theres a dirt track that goes over a hill, across the railroad tracks & right to the rivers edge. Its a nice spot with a sandy beach & a large cobbly area. Thers an old dam there thats collapsed now but it created a nice swimming/fishing hole. I think its called Lyman falls or Lyman dam, you might find info googling it. Theres a farm directly across the road from it that I believe it belongs to. If you get to a slall cemetary you went by it.

Far as I can tell nobody up there cares if you have a gun. For me thats a must, I wouldn't go if I couldn't bring guns. I carry openly up there alot & so far nobody has blinked.

Last edited by Tin Knocker; 05-14-2009 at 06:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2009, 06:27 AM
 
Location: Wandering in the West
817 posts, read 1,952,350 times
Reputation: 900
Thanks for the info again. I really appreciate it. I'll add those places to my map and see if I can locate contacts for the paper companies.

I saw a sign in the White Mountain Forest last weekend that said "no guns in the back country" (oops). I thought that rule was changed, but it must have got undone. A web search shows that it's now tacked onto the credit card reform bill and awaiting passage. So I'm waiting to camp in the forest until after it's a done deal.

I'll be open carrying too because my gun is too big to hide in summer clothes. And, well... just because I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2009, 05:33 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,504,939 times
Reputation: 2569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Thanks for the info again. I really appreciate it. I'll add those places to my map and see if I can locate contacts for the paper companies.

I saw a sign in the White Mountain Forest last weekend that said "no guns in the back country" (oops). I thought that rule was changed, but it must have got undone. A web search shows that it's now tacked onto the credit card reform bill and awaiting passage. So I'm waiting to camp in the forest until after it's a done deal.

I'll be open carrying too because my gun is too big to hide in summer clothes. And, well... just because I can.
I'v never heard anything about guns being a problem on national forest land, heck you can hunt the entire forest with firearms & theres always something, even if its coyotes, in season.

That bill was regarding National parks to the best of my knowledge not forests. But I have been given conflicting info before. I just shot off an e-mail to their info e-mail & will let you know what they say.

Leave it to the feds, you have a state that lets you carry with very reasonable restrictions & they need to screw it up for no stupid reason except they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 03:56 AM
 
Location: Wandering in the West
817 posts, read 1,952,350 times
Reputation: 900
Hmmm... that's right - it was forbidden in "national parks and wildlife refuges". The sign I saw referenced a statute, but I don't remember it. It was in a parking area with a bathroom on Rt. 112 right next to the river. It wasn't new, it was pretty weathered.

The only thing I can find on the Forest Service site about guns is this, under General Rules:

"Fireworks and Firearms:

  • Firing a gun is not allowed: (1) in or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area; (2) across or on a road or body of water; or (3) in any circumstance whereby any person may be injured or property damaged"
I'll be curious to see their response to you.

It's the Brady bunch and one federal district court that's screwing it up, according to NRA-ILA. The Brady Campaign, and a couple other groups, sued to stop implementation of the new rule allowing carry in those places (which actually went into effect in January). On March 19th, a federal district court in DC granted them a preliminary injunction against implementation of the rule. The NRA is filing an appeal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 06:07 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,504,939 times
Reputation: 2569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Hmmm... that's right - it was forbidden in "national parks and wildlife refuges". The sign I saw referenced a statute, but I don't remember it. It was in a parking area with a bathroom on Rt. 112 right next to the river. It wasn't new, it was pretty weathered.

The only thing I can find on the Forest Service site about guns is this, under General Rules:

"Fireworks and Firearms:

  • Firing a gun is not allowed: (1) in or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area; (2) across or on a road or body of water; or (3) in any circumstance whereby any person may be injured or property damaged"
I'll be curious to see their response to you.

It's the Brady bunch and one federal district court that's screwing it up
, according to NRA-ILA. The Brady Campaign, and a couple other groups, sued to stop implementation of the new rule allowing carry in those places (which actually went into effect in January). On March 19th, a federal district court in DC granted them a preliminary injunction against implementation of the rule. The NRA is filing an appeal.
Yup. & theres people that actually believe they are "reasonable" Reasonable I think would be letting state law have precedence. Just like you can drive in a park if you have a license or a state permits it so should you be ale to carry if you have a permit or the state allows carry without a permit. Some areas inside the forest are parks but in NH you can hunt in state parks too.
No response yet from them but I bet if you have a hunting license your covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
Reputation: 36087
I just do car-camping. I sleep in my car, to avoid paying a motel $5 an hour to sleep. I have a minivan with back seats taken out, and a mattress in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2009, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Wandering in the West
817 posts, read 1,952,350 times
Reputation: 900
jtur88 - do you have curtains or anything for privacy?

I'm thinking of setting up my truck for sleeping too, for those times when it's just the dog and I camping. I'm kind of impressed with this guy's set up:

Tacoma Camper

My truck is bigger than his and has a taller cap, so I could probably fit a ton of stuff under the platform. I just need to figure out something for curtains that wouldn't require drilling into the fiberglass cap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top