U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 04:17 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,510,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
jtur88 - do you have curtains or anything for privacy?

I'm thinking of setting up my truck for sleeping too, for those times when it's just the dog and I camping. I'm kind of impressed with this guy's set up:

Tacoma Camper

My truck is bigger than his and has a taller cap, so I could probably fit a ton of stuff under the platform. I just need to figure out something for curtains that wouldn't require drilling into the fiberglass cap.

I'm sure you could rig up curtains with that velcro tape!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 12:02 PM

817 posts, read 1,954,331 times
That's probably going to be my only option. I have the Leer model 122 with the slanted windows and the top and bottom of the windows are different lengths. Plus, the walls aren't vertical, they slant outward at the bottom. I haven't been able to find any rods that will work.

Unless I just mount a long dowel around the top and bottom perimeters of the cap. That might be handy to hang clothes and other things on too.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
That's probably going to be my only option. I have the Leer model 122 with the slanted windows and the top and bottom of the windows are different lengths. Plus, the walls aren't vertical, they slant outward at the bottom. I haven't been able to find any rods that will work.

Unless I just mount a long dowel around the top and bottom perimeters of the cap. That might be handy to hang clothes and other things on too.
That sounds like a good plan. That would be easy to slide aside if you wanted to look out too.

Heres the reply I got from the forest website e-mail.
I think you'll be fine as long as you are acting responsibly.

Quote:
[SIZE=2]Visitors to the White Mountain National Forest are asked to follow the rules of the State of NH. Please refer to NH Fish & Game for rules and regulations for firearms. [/SIZE][SIZE=2]http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/hunting.htm[/SIZE]

Old 05-19-2009, 08:30 PM

I've been scouring the F&G website for half the day and can't find a word about guns, except in relation to hunting in the forest. It says that hunting is allowed in "most areas", but they don't have a map or anything to show where it's not allowed.

I think I'm going to contact them and ask right out if we're allowed to have guns there for personal protection or not. And if so, are we expected to put them away at any specific times?

I don't dare count on hunting as my only excuse if a ranger sees me carrying. What if he sees me sitting by the campfire at night with a gun on my hip? I believe night hunting for coyotes ended in March.

I'll just feel better if I get some details from the horse's mouth. I don't want to do anything illegal and lose my CCL (which is why I was hesitant to even get one - it gives them something to take away!).

Old 05-20-2009, 06:00 PM

Hunting as far as I can tell is allowed everywhere except established campgrounds & within 300 feet of them. The state law says open carry is legal. I guess if I was you I'd call them & the state police. If you do please let me know what they say.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:21 PM

I will. Didn't have a chance to call today, but I will before the week is done.

I just went to the range. There was a cop in uniform at the counter there when I came out. I don't know which agency he was with, but he had a white car (not from the 2 nearest towns). He didn't pay any attention at all when I walked out with the .357 on my hip. God, I love NH!

So to get back on topic... looks like it's going to be a good weekend for camping, at least in NH.

I thought maybe we'd go pitch a tent somewhere, but my husband's decided to stay on the road this weekend and work. Don't know what I'll do now. Maybe go without him.

I've been agonizing for weeks over which tent to get and I think I might go with this one from LL Bean:

King Pine Dome Tent, Six-Person: Family Tents at L.L.Bean

I'm torn between that one and the Eureka Copper Canyon, but I really want a screen room and the Copper Canyon will probably stand out like a sore thumb in the woods. I like to be camouflaged. Don't want to spend more than about $400 on the tent because I still need a canoe (as soon as I convince my husband that I need it).

Old 05-21-2009, 03:31 AM

That king pine looks to be nice & comfy. At 33# It'll get old quick if your packing in.

We'll be heading up Sat AM I think. Maybe Fri night, we'll see.
I'll post some pictures if theres anything to look at.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:34 AM

We'll probably be doing most of our packing in with a canoe or camping fairly close to the truck. We're not young enough to sleep on mountain tops anymore.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:36 PM

Its been awhile since we really camped. We call it camping but we sleep in beds.

Probably go canoeing on one of the lakes or ponds.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:06 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,087,395 times
I'm loving all the camping pictures and the different ways to go camping. I love camping. When the kids were little we'd go to Assateague National Park in MD. We also enjoyed the PA state parks especially Ricketts Glen with all the waterfalls. We started out in an old canvas tent then went to a popup and then a 21' travel trailer. It was great but I found we let it limit us to campgrounds with hookups. After I got divorced I moved to New Mexico and I went back to a tent.

In New Mexico my son and I began doing fur trade re-enactments and that became my camping because as a woman, I don't like going alone and also because I like history and the lifestyle of that time period (1780-1840.) I enjoy the camaraderie of the rendezvous' and getting away from modern conveniences. I especially enjoy cooking over an open fire and having people who enjoy eating it! I love sitting at the fire and hearing people laughing, telling stories, and having a good time around a campfire.

Next weekend friends are visiting from PA and WA and I took a few days off of work to explore southern New Mexico during the time they are here. Today I bought a cheap tent at Walmart because my tent will only fit two. The first night I made reservations at Bottomless Lake State Park for after we visit the UFO Museum in Roswell. Camping one night at a place isnít my favorite way to camp but I appreciate how inexpensive it is and I still prefer it to hotels. I can cook and be outside really enjoying the geography of where I am visiting even if only for one night. After that weíll be heading to Carlsbad Caverns and itís going to be spontaneous after that, Iím hoping for Lincoln National Forest the second night and the Gila National Forest the last two nights.

The difference from camping in PA to NM has been interesting. I never realized you could go camping without having to be in a campground until I moved west. Hereís a few pictures. some are in WA state.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k218/dancingearth/IMG_7404-1.jpg (broken link)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k218/dancingearth/IMG_7456-1.jpg (broken link)
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k218/dancingearth/IMG_1430.jpg (broken link)
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k218/dancingearth/Christi-Shiloh2.jpg (broken link)
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k218/dancingearth/Scratch-Me-JimOlalla05.jpg (broken link)
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k218/dancingearth/IMG_7483.jpg (broken link)
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k218/dancingearth/BlackMesaGhostRanch.jpg (broken link)
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k218/dancingearth/IMG_0321.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing