U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:20 AM

817 posts, read 1,952,595 times

Advertisements

A bed is NOT camping. Get out there and sleep on some tree roots with your sleeping bag.

I'm planning to get a couple of Therm-a-rest pads. If I slept on the ground now I'd probably need about 80 Glucosamines just to get back up in the morning. But when I was a lot younger and poorer, I used to sleep under a piece of 6 mil plastic thrown over some clothes line. Life was much easier then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 12:41 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,085,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
A bed is NOT camping. Get out there and sleep on some tree roots with your sleeping bag.

I'm planning to get a couple of Therm-a-rest pads. If I slept on the ground now I'd probably need about 80 Glucosamines just to get back up in the morning. But when I was a lot younger and poorer, I used to sleep under a piece of 6 mil plastic thrown over some clothes line. Life was much easier then.
No tree roots for me. My son use to give me a hard time about taking a foam pad to rendezvous but I told him if I don't sleep at night I won't be happy. I have tried almost everything--those Therm-a-rest didn't work for me. My favorite is 2" foam but it's bulky. If I don't have room for the foam I take an air mattress and put a wool blanket between me and the air mattress--those air mattresses get COLD. I only car camp so it's not a big deal what I take along. Next week my car will be full of people so I'll have to limit what I take.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:52 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,505,422 times
Quote:

We have a couple sleeping pads but they dont see much use. When we first built our camp we still used them because we were on the floor in a 12'X12' cube. Then we started useing air mattresses until it got done enough for furniture.

Life was alot easier before we had the boys. We used to just stop & camp.
I'm hoping to actually get some things acmplished up there this summer.
I broke down & got electricity, need to finish the wireing so we can finish the walls & it'll be done. Things slowed down alot once we could keep the heat in & be comfy. We've been there when it was 25 below outside, great fun if you can stay warm inside, not so fun if you cant.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:25 PM

Oh, sorry Dancingearth - I somehow missed your post with all the pictures when I responded the other night. I wasn't suggesting you should sleep on tree roots, I was just ribbin' on Tin Knocker. Looks like your camping is primitive enough!

I didn't go anywhere at all this weekend and didn't call the NH F&G about the gun thing yet either. Just got too busy with other things for the last couple days (and probably will be for the next couple too).

Today I finally ordered most of the camping equipment we need though and packed a few containers of camping supplies to keep in the truck. That was almost as fun as actual camping. We'll be sleeping in the LL Bean tent I linked earlier, on LL Bean camp bags (one 20 degree and one 40 degree to zip together) and the Cabelas Deluxe Camp Bed (no tree roots for me either).

I decided on the Camp Bed when I saw this:

O'Blog: In My Element - The Photomobile (http://www.rishio.com/blog/2008/06/in-my-element-bed-platform.html - broken link)

Amazing what people can come up with when they live in their vehicles, isn't it?

Should be cheaper and easier to make than the first one I linked to and can be removed quicker. I'm going to build mine in sections, I think, so I can stack them on one side if I need the room for something else. Just trying to think of a way to make the legs easily removeable.

So how was everyone else's weekend? No camping reports?

I know what you mean about staying warm inside, Tin Knocker. That's why we had a cabin in our woods. Too many cold deer seasons softened us up.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
So how was everyone else's weekend? No camping reports?
I worked on the house all weekend but I got my camping gear out for this Friday-Tuesday when friends arrive from WA and PA. Heading down to southern New Mexico and check out the UFO Museum and Research Center , Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands, and Silver City. I don't really call this camping --one night in each spot--but it is a cheap way to play tourist.

Looks like a fire ban so won't be sitting around a campfire. I'll make sure I don't sleep on any tree roots!

Old 05-27-2009, 05:31 AM

Let us know what you see in the UFO museum. Hope you have better weather than we're having. My husband is finally coming home tonight for a long weekend and it's going to be cold and raining for most of it. And I sprained my trigger finger this week, so I can't even pass the time at the range.

Maybe the tent will come by Friday and we can practice sitting in the screen room in the rain.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Let us know what you see in the UFO museum. Hope you have better weather than we're having. My husband is finally coming home tonight for a long weekend and it's going to be cold and raining for most of it. And I sprained my trigger finger this week, so I can't even pass the time at the range.

Maybe the tent will come by Friday and we can practice sitting in the screen room in the rain.
It's been raining and thunder storms here but we're heading to the lower elevations and desert so hopefully we'll have not too hot weather and no storms. Someday I'd like to learn how to shoot my 50 caliber black powder muzzeleloader. No time now. Maybe when I retire--at 80. Sitting in a screen room in the rain sounds like fun--get out the cards. When I camped in PA with the kids we use to sit under a tarp--on poles at the picnic table a lot watching it rain and playing cards. Good memories.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:55 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,505,422 times
Well, I'm back.
No pictures because we didn't do much except hang around camp shooting & burning things.
We did try to go canoeing out at Dummer ponds Monday but it got too windy.
Thats another area you might look into for remote camping Be Free. The ponds are in or ajacent to the Philips brook recreation area between Rt 110 & Rt 16. I'm not sure what recreation is allowed but I am sure I'v seen folks camping.
Still we had a great time. All I need is one good lottery tcket & I'd go up there & never come back.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:41 PM

11,436 posts, read 17,150,090 times
Love to camp, just went a month ago, froze my you know what off, the weather had been perfect and then a cold front came in but no matter we stuck it out and had a great time, went fishing and shooting.
I've pretty much introduced all my inlaws into camping and now I'm taking their kids, we've used tents, trailers and campers but now we leave the trailer home and it's back to a tent, ya just can't beat it.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:59 PM

59 posts, read 126,624 times
Private Shower/Toilet
Pound post into ground so at least 18 inches is above ground.
Set umbrella on ground post. (Most umbrellas are 8 feet wide)
Hang shower curtains around umbrella. (Go to Dollar Store - 3 or 4 will do)
Hang hand shower hooked to plastic collapsible water bottle to middle of umbrella. (Hot water - solar heated. you could have a spare)
Place Port-a-potty on spare tire on opposite side.
Can use mat or towel to step on for shower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing