U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:58 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,019,784 times

Advertisements

I think about doing that pretty much on a permanent basis. I am a nomad at heart and would quite happily travel forever.

I always wanted to do a "Travels with Charley" trip around the US and would also love doing the circuit done by Ernesto ( Che) Guevara and Alberto Granado around South America.

I used to travel a lot around the world and being in one place for too long is just not good for my spirit . I am 42 and have been stationary far too long. Unfortunately my Fiance's job and economic reality keeps us grounded but we constantly have this discussion about selling everything and simply taking off . He is the only person I could envisage as a travelling companion as well.

I think you become more "chicken" as you get older, call it cautious perhaps but the thought is always there. I suffer from Chronic Depression and the idea of upping camp and leaving everything behind is certainly very attractive. Both of us love the idea, being on the road, no boss to answer to, the Freedom of the open road , being able to truly be spontaneous at all times.

As far as I am concerned travel is the only lifestyle which keeps me sane and I always feel trapped not being able to be on the move constantly. I feel constrained and restricted despite the fact that I do like where we live very much.

I guess I get bored very easily and am incredibly restless by nature. I hope we do gather the courage to do so sometimes because there is nothing like being on the move for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 12:41 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,349,725 times
himain, I envy you and your BF! I've always had the wanderlust. Can't help you much with RV advice, but I've spent the last 13 years as a trucker and the folks in RVs are truly we truckers' best friends! You folks understand what driving a large vehicle that takes longer to start, stop and turn than a car. I find most RVers are very courteous on the road; signaling to tell us when we're clear to pull back in lane, etc. Most truckers try to return the favor.

My first five years were spent running all 48 states and Canada. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. Wife and I were able to see a lot more than you might imagine while dragging a 53' trailer around the country (renting cars on layovers, parking somehwere close or even returning in a car at a later date)

You'll love seeing this great big and wonderful country of ours. I think your oplan to get rid of most of your belongings and store the few irreplaceable things is a good plan. We did that for the first three years I drove long haul!

Hope you have a wonderful time out there and keep us posted!

Old 06-11-2009, 02:16 PM

14,123 posts, read 20,889,791 times
Thanks Crew..Funny thing, I was just talking to the bf about going to a truck driving school..LOL!! Im still thinking of it actually..

Old 06-11-2009, 02:23 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,199,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
himain, I envy you and your BF! I've always had the wanderlust. Can't help you much with RV advice, but I've spent the last 13 years as a trucker and the folks in RVs are truly we truckers' best friends! You folks understand what driving a large vehicle that takes longer to start, stop and turn than a car. I find most RVers are very courteous on the road; signaling to tell us when we're clear to pull back in lane, etc. Most truckers try to return the favor.
From the RV side of things we found truckers to be extremely courteous as well. It was neat to see the communication that goes on with a little light flash as a thank you or a sign that it was ok to pass. There's a lot of subtle non-verbal communication that goes on.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:41 AM

Yes, two big rigs fighting it out wouldn't be pretty Anyways, I always flash the truckers to let them know its safe to come back in the lane. Just common sense courtesy...

Old 06-15-2009, 07:57 AM

479 posts, read 1,309,854 times
I would try it for a couple of months before selling everything and going for a year. We do that about every summer but have our own RV. After 2-3 months, I want more room; I want HOME. I like having something solid and a place to come "home" to. But there are a lot of fulltimers out there who love the lifestyle. We actually like most State Parks better than other places to camp. I don't care for those "uptown" type RV Parks where people are afraid their precious RV is going to get a raindrop on it. Sheesh...

BTW renting an RV is not cheap though. Maybe you could look into buying a nice used one for a decent price...as others have said, prices have come down drastically. Have a trusted mechanic check it out first. We have friends who just bought a nice 34' with slideout for $29,500. The dealer came down from $41,000.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:10 AM

Acts-We would be buying an 09 used RV in Feb of 2010. I know that prices have been drastically cut but I still don't want to take that first hit on it. We've been doing a lot of research on the whole thing from best time to travel to different routes/parks, etc. This isn't something that just popped into our heads overnight. Its been 2 years plus planning and thinking. We are just tired of doing just that and not actually doing it.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:23 AM

21,338 posts, read 7,518,457 times
I just bought a used 5th wheel on ebay after actively researching them for a few months between dealers, Craigslist, and ebay. I was able to get a 38' Keystone Montana for 15k. It's an '01 and in remarkable shape. This Montana has three slides and enough creature comforts to be very cozy and at home in.

I have a tiny 24' Gulfstream lite right now with no bump outs. I will sell it and offset the pinch from the cost of the 5th wheel.

I will not tow it though. The seller is driving it to mid-coast Maine where I will leave it year round on a seasonal lot in a very small, privately owned oceanfront rv campground. It takes me 5 hours to get to it from Cape Cod where I live.

I've become friends with some really great Maine folk from C-D and I can't wait to get up there and have fun with them all. This 5th wheel is my 'condo by the sea' for realitively inexpensive out of pocket costs.

Imo, there are some really good bargains out there right now. Definitely look at ebay as a method of locating motorhomes, trailers, and 5th wheels. That's where I've found my last two with zero complaints!!! And you're covered with ebay's protection when and if you purchase through the site.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:25 AM

479 posts, read 1,309,854 times
Then go for your dreams! I know you're going to love visiting all those places you see and hear about all the time. We're hoping to leave around mid-July to go to the west coast. I'm still trying to figure out which route(s) to take. It will mean more miles if we go the most northern route, but there are places and things we haven't seen out there. I've heard Glacier NP is beautiful so we may go out the northern route and come back southern.

I'll check in here occasionally and see if you're ready to do it!

Old 06-15-2009, 12:07 PM

Oh yea, definately looking all over. Right now, I've seen the same rig with pricing from $222k-179K. We originally saw it at a dealer for $199k and did some research and found it at another for the $179K. I know by the time we buy, it should drop another $20-30K with it being used. I'll keep everyone posted and Im going to start a blog on it asap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or