U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 01:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,608 posts, read 39,974,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Thanks Crew..Funny thing, I was just talking to the bf about going to a truck driving school..LOL!! Im still thinking of it actually..
This is not a bad plan, as you can get your CDL, good driving tips, / skills + a potential career if you need some job $$ enroute. It is fun to work at harvest for farmers and you get to meet another 'culture'. Many boomers are doing the 'truckdriving thing' instead of Full time RV. Some routing gives you latitude to see a lot of USA. Tho usually the pace is pretty restrictive. The alternative is to be an 'owner-operator', but you best have very good business skills and accounting. It is very expensive to license / insure / buy fuel authority / operate...

For the RV, there are lots of options, some folks really appreciate laundry on-board. You want a good dependable engine and tranny and fuel system with auxiliary filters (that you service frequently, clear RACOR filters are handy, as you can see the water / gunk). Newer the better for less repairs (remember you are bouncing along in a 'mobile' house with the full maint of a car + truck + house, and things break...)

The 1000 Trails membership (or similar) is good advice. Some earlier packages allow 365 days / yr 'in-parks', with 14 day max stay, most require you to be 'out-of-park' for 7 days after each stay.

some helpful sites to visit - Passport America & 'escapees'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 08:34 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,353,363 times
Being a "paid tourist" with a CDL works for some couples, but, like everything else, there's a LOT of the "Rest of the Story" that goes with getting a CDL and tooling around the country in an "RV" pulling a 53' trailer... Not sure, with the economy the way it is, if right now is the time to jump into trucking without a GOOD plan. But I do know that several of the large truckload carriers have deals where older couples (with other sources of income...) can work what amounts to "part time". The team would either share a truck with another team and switch off every 28 days or just turn their truck in at a terminal and get a new one when their extended time off ends. I know that U S Xpress and Schneider both have these programs. And I'm sure others do, as well.

One lesson, IMHO, that translates well from trucking to RV-ing is: can a couple spend a LONG time cooped up in a vehicle together? Many couples do well at it, some can't deal with it at all. Even in an RV at a campground, it may difficult to get that "space" that some couples need every once in awhile.

Bon voyage!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 02:49 PM

14,123 posts, read 20,895,508 times
Crew-LOL I was thinking of the position just for myself after our RV adventure. Its always something I've been interested in. Im actually leaning more towards the awesome huge tow trucks. FUN

Old 06-17-2009, 08:03 PM

7,186 posts, read 11,232,837 times
Himain - Sending you a PM.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:13 PM

9,420 posts, read 17,401,654 times
himain,
Go for it! I wanted to do that when I was your age 30 years ago. My wife refused to consider it. I divorced her. Second wife and I planned to do it. She died. Third wife now, and we're planning to finally start full-timing, hopefully in the next year. Don't put it off or you might be 60 before you get around to it.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:08 AM

20,517 posts, read 26,385,150 times
Quote:
Selling everything, buying an RV and traveling the country for a year?? The bf and I are considering doing it next year. Anyone done this or thinking of doing this?

I say go for it. Life can be too short not to try things when you are young enough to enjoy them. My DH and I bought our 40ft Winnebago Vectra at the end of 2004. We hit the road April 1st of 2005. We stayed on the road for 3 1/2 years. I was 38 at the time. We loved the traveling and living in the motorhome. It was a great experience and I'm glad we were able to do it. We are finished with full-timing but we will still travel. My DH and I are too active and like physical work too much not to have a home base. We like tinkering around the house and the yard. Although we don't mind changing yards or houses, lol.

Some things to consider. Just be sure this is something you can afford to do and it won't add any "stress" to your life. Big DP's are expensive and I love them but they can be hard to get into a lot of parks, especially State Parks. They are fantastic to live in and I love ours. We even customized it by taking out all the carpeting which is a truly dumb idea for campers. We put in a real washer and dryer with 220 electric. We also ripped out the junky RV furniture and put in 2 Lazy Boy recliners and a real Entertainment stand with a 42" TV directly across from us. We added a real mattress because the sleep # beds IMO stink.

It can be a very costly year for you. If you don't have any money concerns then go for it and enjoy. You might want to consider getting an RV that is 2-3 years old. By then a lot of the quirks are worked out and they "all" have quirks.

I strongly recommend 2 books for traveling. The first is "The Next Exit" which lists all the exits on the US Interstates and tells you what is at each exit. It lists gas stations(diesel and regular), truck stops, groceries, some campgrounds, shopping, and restaurants. It is a very handy guide.
I also like "The Trailer Directory" for campground listings. It is the only one that tells you the "size" of the sites at the campground which is very important when you have a big rig.

Good luck to you and if you have any questions just ask.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:11 PM

3,696 posts, read 3,290,029 times
The Next Exit is a great book!

Another great book to have is a trucker's atlas. The invention of the GPS has been great, but the doggone thing, a lot of times wants to take us on roads that just don't work. The truckers atlas will not only give you routes that should logically handle bigger rigs, but ours lists low clearance bridges, state weight limits, etc.

Aus
42' Tiffin DP

Old 06-20-2009, 04:41 PM

7,139 posts, read 13,185,426 times
Have wanted to RV for awhile now. And seriously looked at some trailers (Fleetwood). Probably when I retire will think about it more seriously, love to travel the southwest and mountain states. I stayed in a small trailer at RV park near Sedona several years back, and loved the time I spent there, very peaceful and serene.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:48 PM

3,966 posts, read 9,417,885 times
Quote:
Selling everything, buying an RV and traveling the country for a year?? The bf and I are considering doing it next year. Anyone done this or thinking of doing this?
It would be awesome if I had no bills or had no payment for the RV

Old 06-21-2009, 08:21 AM

14,123 posts, read 20,895,508 times
Young and W1, thank you for the advice! We are considering an 09 40ft Fleetwood Discovery with toad that we will purchase in 2 or 3/2010. We will be looking for one used but if we cannot and find a great deal on a left over 09, we'll just buy that. We will have money in the bank to travel on and will be making money from the internet businesses as well. No bills other than the rv and car and HD payment. I do appreciate the info on the books and will go and get them today. If you can think of anything else, I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or