Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 01:57 PM

11,550 posts, read 52,969,385 times

Advertisements

With only 2 1/2 weeks, I think your timetable and driving is way out of whack with the purpose of a vacation and getting to see the sights and wildlife, etc.

Especially with car camping out ... to be enjoyable, you'll need to stop early enough each day to locate a decent campsite, set up camp, cook meals, and actually see the scenery and wildlife in the area. In the AM, you'll still need time to cook, break camp, pack up, and hit the road again.

IMO, you'd be better off to head to Yellowstone and some of the other National Parks between your home and Yellowstone, and then camp out for a few days at each location. Hike, explore, relax, enjoy ... instead of just grinding out a lot of empty miles for weeks.

Leave your other destinations for another trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 02:41 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,393,487 times
That's a lot of driving for that amount of time. I would at least cut out Texas or California.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:13 PM

16,562 posts, read 17,334,480 times
You'll be wanting a vacation at the end of that trip!

Old 06-06-2009, 03:34 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,974,733 times
Several years ago I planned on taking a 3 week road trip. No real destination planned other than being back where I rented the car in 3 weeks. After 11 days and 3000 miles I was so burned out that I made a beeline back to my starting point and turned in the car. One of the highlights of my trip was New Mexcio. Had only planned spending 1 day driving accross. Ending up spending 7 days exploring the state.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:12 PM

4 posts, read 11,808 times
LOL, We know we don't have a lot of time. That's why I am posting here to find out the best places to go. We can stay more than 1 or 2 days in one place. I just know that we want to see some beautiful places without all the people and/or touristy stuff. So if there are some really special places let us know what we must not miss, We will drive for 2 days stop for 3 or 4.......Just wondering about those we must not miss!!!! Thansk for all your post

Old 06-15-2009, 07:43 AM

479 posts, read 1,451,901 times
I know the OP is already on the road, but that many miles in 2 1/2 weeks will make you want to take a vacation when you get home. We've driven from Florida to Oregon in our RV in that time limit, but there's no way I'd try to come back immediately thereafter. And we weren't trying to do a lot of sightseeing along the way. I hope you don't have any mechanical problems...

Old 06-15-2009, 11:14 AM

21,368 posts, read 37,955,819 times
Last month I drove my parents on a 17 day vacation from Anchorage to Montana to visit my brother. We didn't camp but we took many side trips around the surrounding states. Made a trip down to Mount Rushmore and Crazyhorse Monument. We also went to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and Jackson Hole Wyoming. It was a short quick trip but worth it! After all these places we drove back to Alaska in three and a half days from eastern Montana. Your trip sounds doable and you might want to break up the camping a couple times by staying in a hotel/motel somewhere along the trip to get some sleep on a bed to recoup and not to mention a hot bath or shower and to do laundry. Good luck!

Old 06-18-2009, 10:45 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,156,946 times
It's too many miles for the alloted time, but if you must....

High-tail it for the Black Hills. You're not too likely to see any bears roaming the roads in any of parks south of Canada, but you could do Bear Park just outside of Rapid City. The wildlife loop in Custer State Park in the Black Hills will put you up close with hundreds of bison, possibly mountain goats, Bighorn sheep, antelope, deer, elk, wild burros and a few others. Don't miss Rushmore or Chief Crazyhorse monuments. They may be tourist traps, but they're interesting and you shouldn't miss them.

You might find Devils Tower worth your time. It's in the northern Black Hills in NE Wyoming. We like to camp there regularly. A couple hours west of Devils Tower you'll reach the Bighorn Mountains. This is a beautiful mountain range that's ignored by most tourists. If you feel like a break at that point, pitch your tent in one of the Forest Service campgrounds for a night and relax. We love the Bighorns.

And then you'll be off to Yellowstone, Tetons and Jackson. Yellowstone would be the MUST SEE segment, but it would be a shame to miss the Tetons completely. That's also one of your better places to see moose. (Although we see them on most trips to the Bighorns too.)

I'd never plan a trip to the Grand Canyon area in June/July. HOT-HOT-HOT-HOT! And the west coast? Too darned far. Maybe you could go north from Yellowstone and see Glacier NP, but even that's pushing it with your time constraints. Honestly, I'd recommend a few days in the Black Hills and a week around Yellowstone/Tetons, then head to Austin, maybe via the Colorado Rockies.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:13 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,506,127 times
We're doing the same, but plan at least two years for the trip. I've posted trip highlight photos in my profile albums, if you want some samples of where we've been, or you are welcome to visit my husband's website (url listed in my profile).

Happy trails!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing