U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 01:12 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,350,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
As a 'diesel-head' I wanted a 'Sprinter', but couldn't get into a new camper conversion for under $58k, so settled for a 20 mpg 'gas' Rialta in the $20k range.Rialta Heaven (there are some for rent on Craigslist; San Diego and Portland on West coast, haven't checked east coast.)
It is really roomy for 1 or 2 people, and the large rear window backed up to the beach makes a nice mobile 'cabin' for the 200+ days of rainy PNW weather.
I actually prefer to travel in my 52 mpg Passat and stay in private guest homes for $15 / night. But SO likes to camp... so...
I'd never heard of the Rialta. Looks interesting and you got a great price. The floor plan looks good and the only thing different from Sprinter is a shower and 1' shorter.

We like to break up long trips with hotel stops.

Would be fun to fly to west coast and rent a Rialta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 01:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
I'd never heard of the Rialta. ...The floor plan looks good and the only thing different from Sprinter is a shower and 1' shorter.
there are 4 floor plans in the Rialta and the 1' shorter comes off the ground clearance (they are not great 'off-road') ~ 4" clearance . They have a 'dropped' floor, so handy for elderly / disabled, and a 6' person can stand up in some 'work' areas. The extra width is really nice, as the Sprinter I wanted was one that had 'window' extensions for a full bed crossways in the rear

Quote:
We like to break up long trips with hotel stops.
I break up trips with frequent stops at Community Pools and if I can find a remote 'lodge' off season (we have been VERY lucky that way and are frequently the only guests in the whole lodge, especially nice if 'hot springs' is there too. ) Sometimes we stay and work a few days if they need some 'fix-it' help.

Quote:
Would be fun to fly to west coast and rent a Rialta.
Well... get on the internet and book a SWA flight !! (I just got one for $65 each-way!) PDX>DEN

I did Birmingham for $109 awhile back, MSP for $120 and SAT for $99 (that does not buy much fuel!!)

If you are really a 'gardener', then Portland is your 'heaven', come on out and enjoy the 'cool' summer nights. Free concerts in the park nightly, beautiful Rose Gardens and plenty of 'free' low cost places to camp. 1 hr to Mt Hood, Mt St Helens, Beautiful OR coast, Columbia Gorge, Salem gardens / Silver Falls + the greatest park area in an Urban city.

http://www.freecampgrounds.com/

check 'crazedlist' for Rialta for rent on west coast.
(There is one FS for $14800 from a FL couple who landed in Florence OR) It is the older 5 cyl version, which is not as economical (15-18 mpg) but you could 'transport' it to the NE USA as a 'rust free' and resell for a profit.

Motorhomes are REALLY cheap at the moment. I'm trying to get rid of an older Class A (Vogue) for an older couple I need to get into assisted living. It isn't easy to even get someone to look at MH.

For 'renting'

try posting a "craigslist" "wanted to Rent" it is legal to rent your MH for 40 days / yr w/o having to get special insurance, so some folks will do that. OR... ask a friend and offer to pay their insurance bill or licensing fee.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-18-2009 at 01:53 PM..

Old 06-19-2009, 06:24 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,350,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I break up trips with frequent stops at Community Pools and if I can find a remote 'lodge' off season (we have been VERY lucky that way and are frequently the only guests in the whole lodge, especially nice if 'hot springs' is there too. ) Sometimes we stay and work a few days if they need some 'fix-it' help........

Free Campgrounds for RVs.......

Motorhomes are REALLY cheap at the moment. I'm trying to get rid of an older Class A (Vogue) for an older couple I need to get into assisted living. It isn't easy to even get someone to look at MH.
thanks for all the ideas.

suggestion for the MH you are selling. people who have lost their homes use them for shelter and transportation. maybe change your target market?

this year we're headed to upstate NY (western) and Niagara Falls. Considered going out west but the cross-country part put that to rest (for now). Oregon and PNW is def. on our "want" list and those great western national parks in Utah, Wyoming, etc.

We love Florida but August-September are hurricane months and too hot to garden. So we travel. Except the fishing is good now and the DH hates to leave .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing