U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 09:26 PM

4,583 posts, read 9,843,308 times

Advertisements

I've never RV'd but with the economy the way it is and me being unemployed if I can sell my place I'm considering upgrading my '97 F150 and getting a tag along trailer about 25' and living in it for an extended time. I want to move back out west and I know where but I doubt I could get a job there.

Has anyone considered this?
The trailer I was looking at was a Bigfoot and now they've gone out of business it seemed the best built for all weather.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to put down roots again, but I also feel like I might be better off being able to go where the jobs are for a while.

I know I'd have a lot more questions if I decide to do this and I'd love to hear from anyone who is already there.

I'm an older single female so I'm not sure I can manage on my own, but it certainly looks good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 09:23 AM

10,425 posts, read 41,714,363 times
To hell with putting down roots. Once you hit the road you will forget all about that American pasttime. Nothing like having the ability to just turn the key and move if you dont like your neighbor. Or just get sick of the town.

Try your hand at workamping. Campgrounds across America do not hire just anyone. They hire RVers. They give them a free site and free utilities and sometimes a small paycheck. These are the ones you want to seek out. Getting your first gig will be the hardest one. So what you do is take on a volunteer gig for experience. Every state park, wildlife preserve and federal park across America take on volunteers every year and give a free place to park your RV with all utilities and food included. With one of these gigs on your resume you will have an easier time finding a paid position.

The best pay I ever seen was $8/hr an hour. That is certianly well below poverty level but not when you consider just about your total cost of living is free. Free rent, free utilities, free laundry, free phone, free cable, massive discounts in the camp store and in resort areas.....free passes to the resorts and so on. Try here for more info: Workamper News
You can also go to the KOA site for carreer opportunities.

We are a bit settled now but one thing is for sure, I can not see myself ever livng in a real house ever again. I have more luxuries in my home on wheels then most people have in their homes. Right this second I just turned my head and looked out the window to see the beautiful water. I have Great Blue Herons walking on the waters edge as well as White Egrets catching more fish then I ever can. And currently we both work a real job.

Oh yea....this RV park is full of people who have left a real home behind some where cause there is no work during this economic depression. They came here to find work and also live full time in their home on wheels.

Good luck

Old 06-16-2009, 02:58 PM

13,831 posts, read 18,776,642 times
Desert-Care to share where this RV park is that sounds so beautiful?? I would love to visit one day..

Old 06-16-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Desert-Care to share where this RV park is that sounds so beautiful?? I would love to visit one day..
Sorry but that would be like broadcasting my address and phone number. There are lots and lots of waterfront RV parks in south Texas. I am on a Bayou with open marshlands loaded with wildlife. I also have lake front property on my beloved lake which is shown in my heading. For now we use it as a vacation place to park but someday maybe we will build a real house to live in part time there.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
18,137 posts, read 33,609,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I've never RV'd but with the economy the way it is and me being unemployed if I can sell my place ,,, I want to move back out west and I know where but I doubt I could get a job there.

Has anyone considered this?...
I think you will do just fine IF you can sell the house (that's my problem too, and many others )

There is very little unemployment in SD, NE, ND, WY but... a tough place to winter in an RV.

Do you have any specific skills? Seems like a CDL license (for driving trucks,) might be good to have in those places. You could find something over harvest season, but winter might be sparse.

You can also get jobs at National Parks with Xanterra and get low cost / free hook-ups.

There are a few RV's built for wintering and for extended driving, (bouncing) you would best find one built with aluminum framework (rather than wood).

Old 06-16-2009, 10:21 PM

4,583 posts, read 9,843,308 times
I would be in Oregon, Washington or Idaho with visits down to So.Cal to visit my bro.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:51 PM

13,831 posts, read 18,776,642 times
LOL no problem. I will investigate that area. Thanks

Old 06-17-2009, 08:48 PM

887 posts, read 2,519,312 times
This sounds like a dream.. Me, my truck*, and my RV.. if my wife dies-- I may do this when I retire (she isn't....the type)

*so I can travel around the area around the campground*

Old 06-17-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
This sounds like a dream.. Me, my truck*, and my RV.. if my wife dies-- I may do this when I retire (she isn't....the type)

*so I can travel around the area around the campground*
Exactly the reason I now have an ex wife !!

Old 06-17-2009, 11:28 PM

8,597 posts, read 15,174,196 times
Quote:
I've never RV'd but with the economy the way it is and me being unemployed if I can sell my place I'm considering upgrading my '97 F150 and getting a tag along trailer about 25' and living in it for an extended time. I want to move back out west and I know where but I doubt I could get a job there.
Sounds like a great plan. I'd hold off on upgrading the truck until you find the camper you want. You might decide on a 5th wheel that'll require a 1-ton dually or more to haul it, or you might decide that a motorhome would be better for you.

Quote:
Has anyone considered this?
The trailer I was looking at was a Bigfoot and now they've gone out of business it seemed the best built for all weather.
Yeah, my wife and I are planning on it as soon as we can get the loose ends tied up, which might be a year or two yet. We'd hoped to be roaming the roads this year.

I've heard of the Bigfoot, but I'm not very familiar with them. Most full-timers prefer a 5th wheel or a motorhome. The "basement" in the 5th wheels hold a lot more stuff, and they're easier to pull. Talk to campers, full-time campers and dealers to get some ideas. A 25-foot camper sounds way small to me for fulltiming. We have a 27-footer now, but that's the smallest we've had in awhile, and it would never work for fulltiming. Besides the size, you'll also want a well-built camper for fulltiming. They're usually bigger, always insulated better, always heavier, and always more expensive, but they're not as likely to fall apart in the first year or two on the road.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I'd love to put down roots again, but I also feel like I might be better off being able to go where the jobs are for a while.

I know I'd have a lot more questions if I decide to do this and I'd love to hear from anyone who is already there.

I'm an older single female so I'm not sure I can manage on my own, but it certainly looks good.
We hope to sell both of our homes and never put down roots again until it's six feet under. My finances have tanked in recent years, but we figure we can workamp and get by pretty cheaply -- probably for less than we could living in our current stix-n-brix.

Your next stop on the web should be to rv.net. It's a huge site for RVers, many of whom are fulltimers. There are other sites, and there are organizations just for fulltimers, but rv.net will get you started.

Oh, and you'd be surprised at how many "older single females" are RVing full-time. You have a huge family of RVers waiting for you to join their ranks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing