U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:32 AM

482 posts, read 2,202,808 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just got a Class C and we love the beach, I was hoping we could get some good leads on RV parks that are right on or walking distance to the beach, near restaurants/shops so we can just bicycle to get around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 11:47 AM

92 posts, read 284,248 times
Myrtle Beach Camping : Pirateland Campground in Myrtle Beach, SC

I've never stayed there, but I have several friends that this is the only RV park they go to year after year. They love it!

Old 06-16-2009, 06:26 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,498,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlcompanygirl View Post
Myrtle Beach Camping : Pirateland Campground in Myrtle Beach, SC

I've never stayed there, but I have several friends that this is the only RV park they go to year after year. They love it!
That's sandwiched right between Lakewood and Ocean Lakes....all three are award winning parks....and all three are great!

Old 06-16-2009, 06:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Oregon State Parks has several beach front camping areas (Remember, OR has 100% public access beach, that is a plus). Might be a hike from FL, (and a tad cooler) but you asked for 'beachside'...

Old 06-17-2009, 09:35 AM

1,516 posts, read 6,049,899 times
There are actually five wonderul oceanfront campgrounds in Myrtle Beach. We've stayed at Apache and Myrtle Beach RV Resort on the northern end, and Lakewood and Ocean Lakes at the southern end. We've driven through Pirateland on the southern end also. Our personal favorite is Ocean Lakes. As far as I'm concerned you can't go wrong in Myrtle Beach!

In Florida, I'd recommend Bryn Mawr on the south side of St. Augustine (right on the beach) or North Shore RV Resort on the north side of St. Augustine (just across the road from the beach and right on the river, with a great riverfront "shabby chic" restaurant).

Old 06-17-2009, 12:05 PM

482 posts, read 2,202,808 times
Those Myrtle Beach RV parks looks great, I am also going to look into the other recommended near St. Augustine, once we get retired we'll have time to check out lots of beaches! I have not yet been to the closest beach for us once in Guntersville which is Gulf Shores, I am hoping to find a good regular place there to go, especially in September/October when the weather is still good and I can make sure no hurricanes are on their way the week I go!

Old 06-17-2009, 06:13 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,049,899 times
Some web sites to check out include Camping and Campgrounds - KOA Kampgrounds of America, Inc., RV and Tent Camping, RV Rentals, Campground Directories - Woodall's, and Go RVing - Home. You can look for campgrounds by state and narrow them down to coastal locations. Enjoy your Class C.

Also, I believe I gave the wrong name of the northern St. Augustine campground. Upon further thought, I think it's North BEACH, not North Shore. It's on A1A north across the huge bridge. The other one, Bryn Mawr, is on A1A south across the Bridge of Lions. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by Dawne; 06-17-2009 at 06:21 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 06:52 PM

479 posts, read 1,309,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Oregon State Parks has several beach front camping areas (Remember, OR has 100% public access beach, that is a plus). Might be a hike from FL, (and a tad cooler) but you asked for 'beachside'...
You are soooooo right! We're planning to be in Oregon sometime in August! We love the state parks and our favorite is Cape Blanco. Can't wait to get up to 60 degree weather in August! And if we get too cool, we can go inland 10 miles where it's 90!

To the OP...you might try St. Simon/Jekyll Island in Georgia. We stayed in that area a few years ago and it's beautiful! I can't remember the name of the campground though!

Old 06-17-2009, 06:55 PM

479 posts, read 1,309,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntersville Boomer View Post
Those Myrtle Beach RV parks looks great, I am also going to look into the other recommended near St. Augustine, once we get retired we'll have time to check out lots of beaches! I have not yet been to the closest beach for us once in Guntersville which is Gulf Shores, I am hoping to find a good regular place there to go, especially in September/October when the weather is still good and I can make sure no hurricanes are on their way the week I go!
Make reservations WELL in advance! Anything in Florida is booked by snow birds from around October - April.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:24 PM

7,185 posts, read 11,224,804 times
I have to throw my vote in for Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach as well. It's a great park right on the ocean.

I've also been intrigued by the parks located along Hwy A1A between Jax and Daytona Beach in FL. They are definitely right on the surf as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing