Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 12:32 PM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times

Advertisements

If you're really cold averse, try one of these tents.

Elk camp this past fall. Boulder Montana.

The next day-

single digits that night. I kept the fire going in the tent and jumped to the camper around 2a.m.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 12:35 PM

Or one of these on the ice- slept in there once this past winter. Again single digits.

I can sleep anywhere outside as long as the wind is kept at bay!

Old 04-01-2013, 08:48 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Default What's wrong with a tent?

Nothing at all, I love camping in a tent

Old 04-01-2013, 10:14 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Surfing the threads and thought I'd see what had been posted on here. lol One thing on tents is I would love to have one of the old canvas tents instead of these super thin ones that drown you in the rain. But checked on some and they are way to expensive. Not too many people want to sell the old ones any more.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:04 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
If you're really cold averse, try one of these tents.

Elk camp this past fall. Boulder Montana.

The next day-

single digits that night. I kept the fire going in the tent and jumped to the camper around 2a.m.
I thought about dragging the camper out for an overnight adventure a couple weeks ago. It snowed 8" that weekend. I couldn't get my wife talked into it.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:26 AM

Aww man! It's awesome to winter camp! That's the best time of year in my book.

Nothing beats snowshoeing for a while then coming back to a cozy evening in the camper with a little wine, light dinner then a good nights sleep while the wind blows around you..

When I was elk hunting I was by myself during that storm that blew in (dumped several feet overnight with low temps). But I still had a good time with a buddy!

My friend has the most awesome black lab..

Old 04-03-2013, 09:01 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Surfing the threads and thought I'd see what had been posted on here. lol One thing on tents is I would love to have one of the old canvas tents instead of these super thin ones that drown you in the rain. But checked on some and they are way to expensive. Not too many people want to sell the old ones any more.
Yeah I had a canvas tent for many years, they are much warmer than the thin nylon tents of today.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:37 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
The last few years I've camped off an adventure motorcycle, hitting the backcountry. Great (and inexpensive) way to see places few people do.

This year, the wife and I are going a different route, with a "Class B" motorhome (aka camper van). I like that the setup consists of putting it in "park" and teardown="drive".

Old 04-03-2013, 11:51 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,991 times
I have never had luck with tents. Then again, all of my tent experiences have been on the beach (Texas coast) and have involved insane amounts of wind, inability to keep the tent staked, missing poles, etc. Did I mention that the tents were always my mother's tents and she always swore that they had all the parts and were ready to go? I spent too many trips waking up to a tent that had collapsed on us all. I'm tent inept, or just need a better tent anyway.

I still think I'd like to give it another shot. My only other objection is the heat. Most of our free time is in summer, so tent camping in summer means never-ending hellishly hot temps. Makes me think about a popup instead. Or moving out of Texas.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:21 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I have never had luck with tents. Then again, all of my tent experiences have been on the beach (Texas coast) and have involved insane amounts of wind, inability to keep the tent staked, missing poles, etc. Did I mention that the tents were always my mother's tents and she always swore that they had all the parts and were ready to go? I spent too many trips waking up to a tent that had collapsed on us all. I'm tent inept, or just need a better tent anyway.

I still think I'd like to give it another shot. My only other objection is the heat. Most of our free time is in summer, so tent camping in summer means never-ending hellishly hot temps. Makes me think about a popup instead. Or moving out of Texas.
If you're borrowing a tent, it's always a good idea to set it up in the yard, before you go. It's like borrowing a jigsaw puzzle....there's always a piece missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing