U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 05:10 PM

35,218 posts, read 32,177,752 times

Advertisements

I love getting away but sometimes work demands I check in. Anyone else have to stay connected? Right now I'm on a tethered cell transmitting from the boonies. Of course it's not all bad as it's near 100 out and we are hiding out in the AC until it gets cool enough to go fishing.

Sometimes I get lucky and some pricey RV live in will have an open hot spot but a tethered cell beats nothing for checkin in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 08:35 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,659,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I love getting away but sometimes work demands I check in. Anyone else have to stay connected? Right now I'm on a tethered cell transmitting from the boonies. Of course it's not all bad as it's near 100 out and we are hiding out in the AC until it gets cool enough to go fishing.

Sometimes I get lucky and some pricey RV live in will have an open hot spot but a tethered cell beats nothing for checkin in.

I never heard of a teathered cell. Today it is very very rare to find an RV park without WIFI. Most RVers seek out RV parks who have WIFI and ignore those who refuse or are too cheap to keep up with the times.

We used to have Verizon Wireless which was good everywhere and anywhere. I could just log on while sitting at a rest stop in the middle of no where.

If you want to know what RVers say about a specific park before you go you can find that info here: RV Park Reviews :: Campground Search
People always mention the quality of the WIFI since it is so important to them. I use this site all the time and always leave my rating of that park on this site when I leave.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:54 PM

3,696 posts, read 3,290,029 times
We keep connected two ways...

We have a motosat satellite connection. Pretty decent connection speed. The connection is provided by Hughes. You can go one of two ways with the satellite. Either tripod setup which is a more economical way to start up as far as equipment; however, the learning curve for setup is more difficult. We started with this system. And while it works well if you are in one spot for a long time, it isn't really practical nor convenient if you find yourself moving a lot. Then you can go to a motosat system. This system is mounted on the top of your RV and is computer controlled. When we get to a place, we deploy the dish, hit a couple of buttons and within 15 minutes or so, we are on line, usually with no problems. The cons to this system are cost for the equipment, but, if you spend a tremendous amount of time traveling, or do business it is the most convenient. The only problem with either of these setup's are usually trees or other obstacles overhead. An excellent source for all things satellite is Datastorm Users - The Premier Site For Mobile Satellite Internet and TV

For times when tree-cover make the satellite unavailable, we too have a wireless card through Verizon for back-up. Honestly though, we have had more trouble with this, because so much of the time we find ourselves not in a Verizon area. It works GREAT when your in a Verizon digital area, but like right now, we are in an Extended Service area, and it's mediocre at best. I can't speak for any provider other than Verizon, but we've also ran into the overage issue. We were told it was unlimited, but read the fine print and you'll find otherwise.

Safe travels!

Old 06-28-2009, 05:41 AM

11,436 posts, read 17,153,555 times
Quote:

this is really putting a hampering on me doing anything, our company decided to go lean with manpower and now i'm on call all the time, I have to be able to report to work within an hour so where in a normal year I would have been camping three times by now I've only been once and will only go one more time in August where I took off four days, i will have 14 off but only 4 that i wont be on call and where i camp I can't get cell reception and it's over a hour away. 20 years on the same job but if things don't change i may have to find a new job just to get some days off i can enjoy.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the replies. Depending on where I want to camp many don't have cable or dish for data as an option. If I only camped at parks that have data available I'd be limiting where I camp. Some of my favorite Mountains don't have full hookups.

A tethered call is using your phone as a modem. I get pretty good speed but forget downloading anything.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
this is really putting a hampering on me doing anything, our company decided to go lean with manpower and now i'm on call all the time, I have to be able to report to work within an hour so where in a normal year I would have been camping three times by now I've only been once and will only go one more time in August where I took off four days, i will have 14 off but only 4 that i wont be on call and where i camp I can't get cell reception and it's over a hour away. 20 years on the same job but if things don't change i may have to find a new job just to get some days off i can enjoy.

Check out the Satellite phones? I don't know if they have data but they probably do. Maybe your work can pick up the tab?

Old 09-13-2009, 09:08 AM

47,573 posts, read 60,651,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I'm sort of in that spot too. Is it possible for you to teach some willing co-worker some of what you know? Or find some kind of contract back up coverage?

Old 09-13-2009, 10:07 AM

32,089 posts, read 32,994,562 times
Quote:
Check out the Satellite phones? I don't know if they have data but they probably do. Maybe your work can pick up the tab?
Satellite phones are very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing