U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 07:21 PM

20,517 posts, read 26,391,231 times

Advertisements

I am my husband's navigation system. I use a Trucker's Atlas and I haven't gotten us lost yet.

I don't care for all the new electronics when they aren't 100% accurate and I have to read a novel just to understand them. I'm old fashioned that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 08:24 PM

9,421 posts, read 17,408,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I am my husband's navigation system. I use a Trucker's Atlas and I haven't gotten us lost yet.

I don't care for all the new electronics when they aren't 100% accurate and I have to read a novel just to understand them. I'm old fashioned that way.
You sound a little like my wife. We got a GPS unit about 10 years ago, but my wife refused to learn to use it. Likewise, she refuses to let me use it while I'm driving. Oh yeah, and she won't drive. It didn't take me long to sell the GPS. I mostly use road signs.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:46 PM

20,517 posts, read 26,391,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
You sound a little like my wife. We got a GPS unit about 10 years ago, but my wife refused to learn to use it. Likewise, she refuses to let me use it while I'm driving. Oh yeah, and she won't drive. It didn't take me long to sell the GPS. I mostly use road signs.
My husband won't use the GPS either. He hates them. But I am much better with the Atlas than he is so I give the directions. He does the driving becasue I won't drive the motorhome unless we are on a straight highway, lol.
We are a perfect pair.

Road signs are good as long as I have my glasses on.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:09 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,324,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
We have Garmin Nuvi 350 and wonder if there is a better one.

Yes we updated the database a few months ago but it is already out of date. A recent trip through Tampa had it telling us to exit a non-existent exit. So we exited the next one and it was totally lost.

Other issues:
1) not enough notice on where to turn. It requires 2 people, one to drive and the other to look at the navigator, read the street signs and tell the driver what lane to be in in advance of the turn.

2) the street signs don't agree with the navigator. Example, the street sign has a name and the navigator gives a number. How can we know to turn there with nothing indicating what the navigator says?

3)we've vacationed in the Smoky Mountains and it continually tried to make us turn down roads that were dead ends. Not recent dead-ends, you could tell they had been that way for years.

4) It will not tell us which way to turn when we are in a parking lot headed onto the highway, even when we drive around the parking lot so it can get it's bearings.

So please, name your favorite. We can't trust Amazon reviews, that's why we bought the Nuvi. This is not our first Nav. system either. Our first one was Magellan 700, a bigger disaster

Thanks for suggestions.
I have had a Nuvi 350 for about two years and have had no problems. I drive in both big city and out in the boonies on one track roads. The audio and visual always gives me a turn alert in plenty of time. I didn't update it until this month and haven't been out since then. I bought mine because a coworker had an earlier model and it was great. We do archeology work and are on all kinds of remote roads as well as Interstate. Perhaps you got a "lemon".

Old 07-10-2009, 02:35 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,352,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I have had a Nuvi 350 for about two years and have had no problems. ... Perhaps you got a "lemon".
That's what I have thought on many occasions
We've used it on many trips and probably 12- 15 states. It has given wrong turns on many a trip and caused much grief.

Thanks for the reply.

I also use maps to plot our course but the navigator has many pluses in helping to find parks, restaurants, gas, etc when we are in unfamiliar locations. Like having google.maps along, just a little stupider version, lol.

To the man whose wife won't use it: I was slow to warm up to it, just like the computer 10 years ago but it is a great tool. Don't let the kids call you an old fogey, it's fun (when it works well).

Old 07-10-2009, 03:15 PM

6,076 posts, read 11,020,102 times
For the road traveling we have a "TomTom One" that I won at the last company Christmas party as a door prize. But as far as the woods go or on a lake fishing, I have a pretty good sense od direction, lots of Military years of land navigation training to pull from .

Old 07-17-2009, 02:15 PM

3,530 posts, read 8,740,199 times
good god what is wrong with people, someone asks about a gps and they get all kinds of lip about maps and whatnot. jeez.

I'm looking at buying one for my DH. I was looking at the Garmin 255W at best buy. There's a package that includes a mount and holder. It's a portable gps (he wants a portable) for $199, $239 for the package.

There are so freaking many to choose from I can't figure it out. I don't want to spend more than $200. Do I really need to spend that much?

We don't travel in the US, much anyway. He does have to travel in our city constantly for work though. He's always switching vehicles which is why he wants portable. Anyone?

Old 07-19-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I have had a Nuvi 350 for about two years and have had no problems. I drive in both big city and out in the boonies on one track roads. The audio and visual always gives me a turn alert in plenty of time. I didn't update it until this month and haven't been out since then. I bought mine because a coworker had an earlier model and it was great. We do archeology work and are on all kinds of remote roads as well as Interstate. Perhaps you got a "lemon".
Today I used my 350 for the first time since update. I traveled from Interstate 40, to a State highway, to a county road, to a no-name one track dirt road, looking for a "lost" cemetery that had been found. My contact had given me her nearby address and the location of the cemetery. Before I left home I had entered that info and when the 350 showed the flag I looked up through the woods, and there was the cemetery. That's the normal experience I have with my 350.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
good god what is wrong with people, someone asks about a gps and they get all kinds of lip about maps and whatnot. jeez.

I'm looking at buying one for my DH. I was looking at the Garmin 255W at best buy. There's a package that includes a mount and holder. It's a portable gps (he wants a portable) for $199, $239 for the package.

There are so freaking many to choose from I can't figure it out. I don't want to spend more than $200. Do I really need to spend that much?

We don't travel in the US, much anyway. He does have to travel in our city constantly for work though. He's always switching vehicles which is why he wants portable. Anyone?
It's hard to advise someone on something like this. I like a Ford but you like a Chevy, etc. I love my Nuvi 350 but it's more than you want to spend; so, I went to December 2008 Consumer Report. Here's their list of best buys within your price range. Garmin Nuvi 200/50/70 $150 - Tom Tom One 130 $170 - Garmin Nuvi 200W/50W $200 - and, as expected, the lower the price fewer the features. One thing for sure though; he will need a portable. That's the reason I bought mine as a portable because when I get up in the morning I never know what I'll be driving. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
I have a Garmin nuvi 350 and haven't stopped long enough to download the new maps... but I'm pretty satisfied with it overall. Nothing's perfect, but it gets about a 95 out of 100 in my book.

The biggest quirk I've found about it is when I'm going north and have to pass thru Boston, it wants me to exit I93 to take Route 1 which is all red lights and not a highway at all anymore... makes no sense to me!!! lol
It will often take you the shortest route and that doesn't always work. Also, if the road looks from the satellite like it goes through, it will send you that way. That's the only problem I've had so far in my work in the boonies. The satellite, and old Topo maps, shows the road crossing the river/stream, but for various reasons it doesn't anymore. I've learned to anticipate that and make alternate plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing