U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 09:13 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,318,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Are we talking about road travel navigation? Or wilderness? For road travel - Map, road signs...or print out directions from the web before hand.

Lets face it - for interstate highway travel, only an idiot would need a GPS road navigator and I would see them as being totally useless for ROAD navigation in some undeveloped areas. Highways are just too well marked, and dirt/logging/gravel roads would not be updated in the software. Off the interstate, in city travel, I can see how some of those would come in handy - but that would be a benifit for a taxi driver, not a camper.

For wilderness, which for me means somewhat developed trails - USGS topo maps or a local (NF or NP or national forest) trail map and awareness of the trail blazings in use in combination with a simple compass.
In my archeology work out in the boonies (wilderness), I rarely get on a road/trail that isn't on my Nuvi 350; and I have been on some very remote rough roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 08:52 AM

3,530 posts, read 8,734,353 times
Hi Arkansas and thanks ---

Well, I do know I want a Garmin and a portable like you said. I've looked at the ranges of Garmin you mentioned, it's just hard to decide which one. I like the speech to text option and the wide screen sounds nice but not totally necessary. Other than that I guess I'm not too picky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
It's hard to advise someone on something like this. I like a Ford but you like a Chevy, etc. I love my Nuvi 350 but it's more than you want to spend; so, I went to December 2008 Consumer Report. Here's their list of best buys within your price range. Garmin Nuvi 200/50/70 $150 - Tom Tom One 130 $170 - Garmin Nuvi 200W/50W $200 - and, as expected, the lower the price fewer the features. One thing for sure though; he will need a portable. That's the reason I bought mine as a portable because when I get up in the morning I never know what I'll be driving. Good luck.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:59 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,443,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Another vote for maps here.
Count me in on this one, too. I have Delorme atlases for most of the western U.S. as well as some Benchmark atlases for some of these same states. On top of that, I have state maps from AAA that are fairly decent for highway travel. The atlases, as well as several guidebooks and some USFS or BLM maps are what I use when I get off the highway and into the backcountry.

I do have a Delorme PN20 GPS that I have used on occasion, but more for trip data and marking waypoints than for finding my way. It isn't really a navigation system, but rather a portable GPS for tracking where you've traveled, and for showing what's ahead of and around you (but without giving directions, unless preprogrammed to do so).

Old 07-21-2009, 09:08 AM

No one asked which MAP they thought was best. Obviously there are people here not familiar with driving all over a city for their JOB. Why not only answer posts you can be helpful in???

Old 07-21-2009, 06:34 PM

12,251 posts, read 18,390,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
No one asked which MAP they thought was best. Obviously there are people here not familiar with driving all over a city for their JOB. Why not only answer posts you can be helpful in???
This is the RV and camping forum, not the "taxi driver" forum. The responses fit the forum and the people reading it. Recommending the non-technical solutions (maps and road signs) is entirely appropriate and useful to people considering the navigation device option for RV-oriented open road and country driving.

Seems some people are getting defensive, perhaps because they are starting to realize they spent $300 on a useless toy.

Now, lets discuss posts that are helpful (like yours perhaps?).

Old 07-21-2009, 07:07 PM

21,319 posts, read 21,867,229 times
We got a Garmin 260 a couple of years ago primarily to help my wife negotiate around the Twin Cities on her own. I think it is the lowest priced model they have that has the "text-to-speech". I have always been a map-guy but found it very helpful on many of our cross country trips as I do most of the driving and DW is not a map-girl.

The GPS devices are much more than a "TURN HERE! tool. Great to locate it's pre-programmed and nearby specific/general restaurants, car-washes, rest areas, etc. I'll also pre-load specific restaurants, intersections, way-points, tourist sites, etc., and find it pretty easy to adjust our route on-the-fly as the situation requires. It's computer function providing ETA, distance traveled, remaining distance, etc is very helpful. It can also be used as a hand-held device that can be set up as either a walking or biking mode is also helpful and I've used it on the bike trails in Acadia, touring the sites in Downtown Boston and Salem and hiking in Nat'l Parks and Forests. It's also fun to bring along on plane trips. Never to old to learn new tricks. Glad I ain't no fuddy-duddy like some destroyer man.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:15 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,443,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Actually, they specifically asked about which "navigation device" was your favorite. Specifying which map I prefer answered that question appropriately. As far as driving all over a city for a job, it has nothing to do with Camping and RVing, so that wasn't the reason for the response.

Though it has nothing to do with camping or RVing, I do drive all over the city for my job, but still prefer a map if I don't already know where I'm headed. In the case of the Los Angeles area, the Thomas Bros. maps are about the best available. Most of the time, though, I already know ahead of time where I'm going, so I have little need of a map. Same goes for when I'm on the highway, since I have already done my research before hitting the road. This allows me to take in the sights more readily.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:58 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,420,472 times
Moderator's Note:

Okay, folks, let's settle down a little and keep things civil.

Despite the thread title referring to "navigation device", the OP was expressing frustration with a GPS and was asking for advice on a replacement.

That said, many folks have had frustrating moments with their GPS and have had to fall back on the old-fashioned paper map, so posts referring to the wonders of the atlas aren't totally out of line.

Above all, let's keep things civil and polite.

Thanks for everyone's cooperation.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:19 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,349,400 times
As the OP I have been a little amused at the number of people that think a map is a navigation "device". I have appreciated those who commented on theirs (Garmins, etc) and passed by the maps reccommendations.

There are so many positive benefits to computer aided navigation. I just want a PERFECT one. It seems (so far) that the one I have may be the best on the market.

I use mine ALL the time when we are RV'ing, for directions, to find restaurants, gas, parks, points of interest. I use maps also but in a limited way, to get the big picture of an area.

So please respond with navigation device information. Thanks.

BTW when someone responds to my question with good info I take the time to "rate their post positively". I appreciate their valuable input.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:49 AM

Perhaps a review of the original post would be helpful. The person asked about the Garmin GPS, which by the way, has absolutely nothing to do with taxis. In addition, the person asked if there was a better Garmin, not if there was a better way.

I'm annoyed because the thread sparked my interest, I'm interested in purchasing a Garmin, yet there are many useless posts in this thread mentioning maps.

For clarification, I see the OP has again asked about GPS's, not MAPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
This is the RV and camping forum, not the "taxi driver" forum. The responses fit the forum and the people reading it. Recommending the non-technical solutions (maps and road signs) is entirely appropriate and useful to people considering the navigation device option for RV-oriented open road and country driving.

Seems some people are getting defensive, perhaps because they are starting to realize they spent $300 on a useless toy.

Now, lets discuss posts that are helpful (like yours perhaps?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing