U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:49 PM

588 posts, read 2,560,682 times

Advertisements

We've been camping with a popup for 3 years now, exploring the beautiful state of Oregon. Ours is 22 feet long when popped up, but I easily store it in the garage, with room to spare. It's nice not to have to worry about paying for storage or having a house with a storage pad.

The other thing I really like about them is the effect on fuel economy; unlike the 40 foot hardside behemoths, popups have a much smaller impact on your gas mileage.

Another advantage to popups over the hardsides: it's easier to hear the sounds of nature when you are camping; the tent walls make me feel like I am "roughing it" at least a little bit. Not so with the hardsides. And if the "sounds of nature" include late night music and laughing from your inebriated neighbors, well, I've got ear plugs for that.

YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 12:43 PM

5,839 posts, read 9,487,775 times
Definitely can be towed by a small car. Pop up tents are pretty cool and a neat alternative to sleeping on the grand. Haven't priced one recently but you could probably get a good used one for maybe $1,000

Old 07-26-2009, 11:46 AM

47,573 posts, read 60,658,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
Was wondering what one of those smaller sized pop-up campers that can be towed by a small car (hopefully)) would cost USED and in general how are they? I'm a complete newb to any type of camping but have developed a love of the outdoors since traveling the country 5 yrs ago and was making plans to buy a tent but started thinking about these smal pop-ups as perhaps a nice cheap alternative to sleeping on the ground. What can anyone tell me about them and how are they for someone on a budget like me, thanks.
I bought mine new for $4500 a few years ago and I got the 8 foot one without a shower or refrigerator.

You can buy them for $2000 or so used and they could still be in decent condition. I prefer them over tent camping but I still sometimes use a tent, and I would prefer them over bigger trailers or RV's that you can't park close to a stream or off the road.

I decided to go with a pop up after camping near Santa Fe and being flooded out of my tent and traveling across country and having to quickly pack up sleeping bags and a wet tent in pouring rain. They take about 5 minutes to put up or down and you don't have to remove sleeping bags or supplies so they're very convenient and easy.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:12 PM

460 posts, read 3,116,397 times
What is the smallest pop-up or tow camper available? It would most likely only be myself or perhaps 1 other person so small is good. In fact if I had a large SUV or a pick-up truck with a cap I wouldn't even be asking about tow-alongs.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
What is the smallest pop-up or tow camper available? It would most likely only be myself or perhaps 1 other person so small is good. In fact if I had a large SUV or a pick-up truck with a cap I wouldn't even be asking about tow-alongs.
The teardrop campers are about the smallest you'd see with a car.

Teardrop Campers - A Complete Guide To Teardrop Trailers | CampingEarth.com

But I've seen campers for motorcycles also that sleep just one.

Lite Tent Camper - Pull this lightweight tent camper/trailer behind a motorcycle or car.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:17 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,081,348 times
Pop up campers are great for towing with smaller vehicles.
My first one only cost $500.00. It had a broken cable that raised one corner. I replaced it myself. Used it for almost 3 years.
The next one cost $4000.00. Almost new. Now I have an old Covered Wagon trailer. I actualy liked the pop ups better. So much easier to tow and see behind.
If you look around you might find someone who decided they don't like camping and will sell for a good price. Just make sure the canvas is good and all screens and zippers are in good shape.
In the autumn time of year is usualy when you find the best deals. Maybe for $1000.00 or less if someone wants a quick sale.
I'm seriously considering selling the trailer and getting another pop up.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:54 AM

128 posts, read 577,590 times
Does anyone know of a pop-up that has only one bed? For a couple it seems to be a waste of space. I'm at a crossroad concerning getting a pop-up (of which seems more available) or a smaller RV. Since I drive an Outback it would be convenient right now to have something I can tow with it. Thanks.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:09 AM

11,941 posts, read 12,836,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob swanson View Post
Does anyone know of a pop-up that has only one bed? For a couple it seems to be a waste of space. I'm at a crossroad concerning getting a pop-up (of which seems more available) or a smaller RV. Since I drive an Outback it would be convenient right now to have something I can tow with it. Thanks.
I know this is no help but I have seen a pop up camper with only one bed at a state park. At the time I thought it was silly not to go ahead and have the extra space.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob swanson View Post
They have little one-bed and real easy to pop up campers:

Welcome to Columbia Northwest, manufacturer of the original Aliner pop up camper. Copyright Columbia Northwest 2008. (http://www.aliner.com/design/homepage5.php - broken link)

Making products for people who like the outdoors. Copyright Columbia Northwest 2008. (http://www.aliner.com/design/products_detail_aliner.php?prodid=1 - broken link)

Old 08-02-2009, 07:32 AM

1,246 posts, read 2,989,228 times
We have a Columbia A-Liner. These are hard-bodied popups that can be put up and taken down in 5 minutes or less (and that's including the jacking). All you have to do to take down, is clear your counter space, reach up and detach the stays and fold right down. You never have to worry about drying off canvas. They are a little more expensive than traditional tent popup campers but they have all the same amenities, plus a heck of a lot more headroom. They are quite sturdy although in extremely high winds you should be careful (we're talking 50+ mph).

After 3 or 4 seasons of use, we are extremely happy with it. The only downside? (if you can even call it a downside) You will attract stares at almost any campground, and curious people who will have lots of questions.

Here is a video of the setup process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqi7wOAxp4c

Last edited by Jeromeville; 08-02-2009 at 07:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing