U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 06:05 PM

6,076 posts, read 11,028,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I can't imagine what could be so disturbing about playing bags (as we call it here in Chicago). I could see if this were going on at 3 in the morning... but in the middle of the afternoon? I guess you'll just have to cope with it. Camping in standard campgrounds means you're adjacent to a lot of people and the noises from various campgrounds are inevitably going to spill over onto one another; it's just part of camping life.

It's one thing if your camp neighbors are so loud and so noisy that no reasonable person around them can enjoy their own campsite. But I don't think the noise from bags falls into that category. Since you own a canoe, bikes and a fishing rod and those are such obviously superior means to occupy yourself when you camp, go occupy yourself with a canoe/bike/fishing outing when your camp neighbors undertake common camp activities that bother you so, such as having a beer and playing bags.
Its not so bad if they put the stupid thing on the otherside of thier camper, but no, most of the time they want next to yours and start playing the dang thing from sun up to sun down. And there is no alcohol allowed in Ohio's state parks, thank God.

One can only canoe, bike ride and fish for so long. There are times when all you may want to do is sit at the campfire and talk with you spouse and enjoy each others company, or sit back and read a good book. Most of them that have the game probably can't read anyway.

And around here they call it "Cornhole", the idiots don't even know that the term "Cornhole" has another meaning . Maybe I should take one of those games and paint a man on one and a woman on the other with thier bare bottoms pointed at you and the hole is where, well you get the picture . The dang fools probably still won't figure it out.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:16 PM

11,943 posts, read 12,847,066 times
I know I'm new here but you seem to be a bit harsh. As I stated earlier, we play the washers game and can read just fine. Maybe you could get to know your neighbors and let them know the sound bothers you. They just might be willing to relocate the game to try and accommodate you. It's worth a try.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
I know I'm new here but you seem to be a bit harsh. As I stated earlier, we play the washers game and can read just fine. Maybe you could get to know your neighbors and let them know the sound bothers you. They just might be willing to relocate the game to try and accommodate you. It's worth a try.
Not really, I love to see the kids playing, running, bike rideing with thier parents. And from time to time I've helped other campers out with tools or a little fix-it know how. In fact the last time my DW and I went camping "which is one a month", or neighbors were 6 lesbians. That sat up till one in the morning, "quiet time starts at 11pm until 6am", laughing and carrying on just outside our window and I simply asked, "Ladies could you please keep it down" and they complied with no problems. The next morning a couple of them come over and apologized for the noise they were making. Later on that day we sat around and shot the brease with them and past some good camping tips back and forth. Now as I stated in an earlier post, a couple camp sites up from them some drunks were throwing beer bottle into the river, the same river that canoers, boaters and others were going to be using the next morning. Ofcourse those camper had been reported for thier activities by other campers.
We all pay the same for our camp sites, they should ask if what they're going to be doing is going to bother thier neighbors. But not all campers are willing to show some respect for others. I won't even turn our music up if I think it may bother others, but thats me .

Old 07-09-2009, 08:57 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,437,239 times
Moderator's Note:

The last few posts illustrate perfectly how difficult it can be to keep everyone happy in a small space like a camp ground (or a forum).

Let's try and take some of that wished for camp courtesy and apply it here by allowing everyone to express an opinion while still remaining civil and polite.

Thanks for everyone's cooperation.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:16 PM

11,943 posts, read 12,847,066 times
I apologize. Sorry if I came across as rude or insulting.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:33 AM

3,696 posts, read 3,296,158 times
The problem isn't so much with the games I think... as much as it with the layout and availability of campgrounds.

State Parks tend to have more room, but they also sometimes don't have 50 amp service, may not have full hookups, and they have a 14 day stay limit. This becomes impossible for us to use because when we roll into an area, we will be there usually a minimum of 30 days. And for us... we are too long for most SP's.

Individual campgrounds can vary so much in the "space" department. Some have RV's packed in like sardines, trying to use every available inch. Some will nickle-n-dime you to death. I see the reasons why from a business standpoint...but honestly, come on guys... give us some room!! And it is hard to find a good campground anymore, even with reservations. "Sorry we are full," we hear just as often as not. Too many RVer's and not enough good spots.

Perhaps if we could find better spots... the games that have noise wouldn't be so annoying. (I set outside last night and could hear a baseball game over the hill... and it brought back such wonderful memories, so we are not all just old and cranky.)

Old 07-10-2009, 02:18 PM

Talking Your a nice person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
I apologize. Sorry if I came across as rude or insulting.
Not at all, you were being very nice as far as I could see . You had some good point that I may try, but we all know that from time to time you get stuck next to a person that just has no scruple about them.

Like the story about the mom in the next camp site walking on thier neighbors RV's roof to get a toy or what ever it was . I wouldn't have been so nice about it, I would have lit her (*#@) up over that act. She just tought her kids that they can do what ever they want to other folks property.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:17 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,410,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Out of all the wonderful games people love to bring along with them when they go camping, only one do I find annoying. (CornHole) If your not acquainted with the game, then your not going to the right camp grounds. You have two boards set at an angle and apart from each other. The players throw bags that are filled with bean or what ever at these boards and try to put the bags into a hole, flap!, flaP!, flAP!,fLAP!, FLAP! Is all you hear all day long while your trying to have a good conversation with your wife or friends. Or, if your trying to sit back and read a good book at the campfire. FLAP! FLAP! FLAP! FLAP! all day long . Many times I wanted to sneak over to the other campsite that has this stupid game. And spray some cooking oil on the bags and see if the local four legged residents want to play with the bean bags .
Now the real sad part about all this is, the people playing this annoying game obviously have no idea what "CornHole" really means, "hint- its a Greek act" , and I really want to tell them just to see the reaction on thier faces .
I pretty much hate all games that are loud past 10pm. Especially when you have a flock of rednecks playing country and drinking beer all night long while fighting and causing tons of trouble...(yep, speaking from experience) but I'm in Indiana so that whole scene is pretty typical of camping here.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I pretty much hate all games that are loud past 10pm. Especially when you have a flock of rednecks playing country and drinking beer all night long while fighting and causing tons of trouble...(yep, speaking from experience) but I'm in Indiana so that whole scene is pretty typical of camping here.
Well being that we're neighbors, you may want to try an Ohio state Park. Noises of all types stop at 11pm til 6am, if they get out of hand just talk to the park Ranger and they'll set them strait, or put them out. And there always something for the kids to do, especially around the holidays. Halloween all that parks have tons of stuff for the kids and adult alike .

Old 07-13-2009, 06:07 PM

458 posts, read 1,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
All state parks here in Ohio have a (No Noise Rule) from 11pm til 6am. And they do mean "ALL NOISES" too. If they get a complaint from any camper and thier complaint is justified, the offender is give only one chance to nock it off. If they persist the Park Rangers kick them out that night no matter how late it is, no refunds, by by. I love it.
That's how it is where we camp. The Camp Wardens walk around at 11pm to make sure radios are down and people are quiet. They continue to walk all night in shifts to make sure it stays quiet, and so that no campers had any visits from bears.

If you get one warning and continue out you go. They will even get the RCMP in to help if need be. But for the most part the people who are there camping are respectful and are all there to relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing