U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 10:50 AM

6,076 posts, read 11,020,102 times

Advertisements

WOW!!!

It's quiet around here , did Camper1 get stuck and stranded out on her last camping trip? I could talk all kinds of trash on this thread and no one would know the difference, because there's no one around to read it.

Hey everyone, I hear that Camper1 is one hot little potato . He! he! he!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 07:28 AM

11,941 posts, read 12,837,939 times
Hot maybe ( well in the old days anyway), little, not so much anymore but thanks for the shout out!ha ha

We did have an interesting trip. The guy next to us ran out of propane so he decided it was OK to borrow our extra tank at 4:30 in the morning!! He did leave us a note like we were best buds ( didn't even know him) but still...

I guess we're home for awhile now. Got things to do around the house now that the weather will be improving. It's going to kill me not to go but there is always the yard for me to camp in ( at ? on?). I can sit at my own picnic table and watch the world come to life again while counting all the money I will save not paying for gas or campground fees.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:28 PM

6,076 posts, read 11,020,102 times
Cool Omg!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Hot maybe ( well in the old days anyway), little, not so much anymore but thanks for the shout out!ha ha

We did have an interesting trip. The guy next to us ran out of propane so he decided it was OK to borrow our extra tank at 4:30 in the morning!! He did leave us a note like we were best buds ( didn't even know him) but still...
I guess we're home for awhile now. Got things to do around the house now that the weather will be improving. It's going to kill me not to go but there is always the yard for me to camp in ( at ? on?). I can sit at my own picnic table and watch the world come to life again while counting all the money I will save not paying for gas or campground fees.
Now this is a good reason to have a camping thread strictly for the "strangest, dumbest things that has ever happen to you" while out camping.
Someday I'll tell you the story about the six lesbians that were camping next to the DW and I. Don't get me wrong, they were really nice funny folks, who just like to have lots of fun .

Old 02-19-2010, 05:52 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,240,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Now this is a good reason to have a camping thread strictly for the "strangest, dumbest things that has ever happen to you" while out camping.
Someday I'll tell you the story about the six lesbians that were camping next to the DW and I. Don't get me wrong, they were really nice funny folks, who just like to have lots of fun .
Campfire stories!

I'll bring the marshmallows.

http://bestsmileys.com/camping/3.gif (broken link)

Old 02-22-2010, 07:41 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,668,530 times
Campfire stories? Geez, all the many many miles and many many campgrounds and I can't think of any. I can come up with many stories of the boat launch where 40% of all divorces originate but can't come up with anything while RVing.

The worse thing that happend to me was in Flagstaff, AZ. Got up in the morning to go outside and open the dump valves. My sewer hose was gone. Some idiot actually stole my sewer hose.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:53 PM

I finally thought of a good campfire story. This goes pretty far back.

We were heading south on I-75 in north central Kentucky heading to Lexington. It was late and we were almost out of gas. In those days there were few 24 hr stations anywhere. We decided to stop at a rest stop on I-75 to sleep till morning. Then we would have no trouble finding gas at any interchange.

All night long was this loud engine running like some one was just playing around. It was loud. Sounded like a car engine running at a constant 4000 RPMs. We were too tired to investigate it so just went to bed despite the noise.

In the morning we woke up just after first light and walked to where this engine was still racing. Inside this car we seen a woman with curly white hair sitting in the drivers seat. Inside the car it was pure smokey white. She was obviously dead. We concluded she left the engine running to stay warm as she took a nap and the carbon monoxide got the best of her. When she died she probably stiffened up and pushed the gas peddle down.

In those days cell phones were not invented yet. We stopped at the next exit to find a pay phone to call the pigs. As we continued south, within 5 minutes we saw the ambulances racing north.

It's been some 25 years and I will never ever ever forget what I saw in that car. It was 3 days before Christmas.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:10 PM

55 posts, read 134,887 times
A good place to go in NY is Letchworth State park. Not too difficult to get to. Has a beautiful gorge with huge falls. Has many hiking trails, pools for swimming. Nice towns close by to eat out or shop for food. Lots of things to do there.
I heard a robin today and makes me think of spring. I can't wait to get out there. We have our first outing at Little Pine State park in Pennsylvania Wilds. It is one of our favorite spots to go to.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:17 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,240,703 times
desertsun41 ...

http://bestsmileys.com/paranoid/1.gif (broken link)

Old 02-22-2010, 08:32 PM

11,941 posts, read 12,837,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Campfire stories? Geez, all the many many miles and many many campgrounds and I can't think of any. I can come up with many stories of the boat launch where 40% of all divorces originate but can't come up with anything while RVing.

The worse thing that happend to me was in Flagstaff, AZ. Got up in the morning to go outside and open the dump valves. My sewer hose was gone. Some idiot actually stole my sewer hose.
My dad used to go night fishing... all he ever caught was a new wife.

Hubby will never go night fishing.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:12 PM

On a fishing trip I wont soon forget:

July, 1986

It was just another one of those days, no sign of life in the water. Probably the result of a cold front that passed the other day. My 8" black plastic worm was dragged through every lunker spot I discovered over the years. Dropping down to a 6" worm soaked in fish formula I caught a small 15" Black Bass. Hours passed without another hit. To speed up the fishing if not the catching, a spinner bait was thrown toward every likely bit of shore line cover. Not even a tap. Nothing. Bored I felt ready to pack it in. But it was still early and the thought of going back to the RV where the wife was in a terrible mood was not my idea of fun.

Reaching for the motor pull cord to try just one more spot, I noticed the tackle box sitting there. No wonder I was bored, I had fallen into a rut. I must have a hundred different lures in that box all laid out like a precious coin collection. A couple more lures and the boat would sink yet the last time any of them got wet was when it rained.

I picked out a classy black and silver Rapala Fat Rap floating lure. Top water lures dont always produce but they are fun to play with. You can do all kinds of tricks with them. I casted to just past the edge of a patch of Lilly pads, stopped, then twitched again. Still no takers. Oh well it was not my day I figured. That's it. Fish ain't biting today.

Then just as the rings dispursed, I was completely unprepared, the Lilly pads parted and the huge jaws of a big hawg Bass slammed shut on the lure. A quick tail flip and a few surface somersaults propelled the big Brut deep into the Lilly pads that he calls home. He skillfully threaded the line around the Lilly stems and a tug of war was on. The Lillys shook violently and some were pulled under as the line slid up the stems. Soon the Lilly pads only moved in response to my fishing pole. The big brute Bass was free.

Now certain it was not my day I paddled through the jungle of weeds to fetch my lure which was snagged firmly on the Lilly stems. Reclaiming my lure, I headed back to the RV. While loading up the boat I concluded that catching one Bass on with a surface lure was worth catching 10 on a fake worm. A new love of surface fishing was born that day.

This cold miserable winter my fishing poles spend all their time under the RV safely hooked to their rubber clips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing