U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:57 AM

6,569 posts, read 8,722,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Are you sure that wasn't a Wallaby, they are very small Kangaroos?

I take it that your not a big fan of Zoo's? If its was born in captivity like some many exotic birds, then it wouldn't be a wild animal.
Yes but there is a difference between a domesticated animal (developed from 1,000's of years of breeding and living with humans) like a cat and dog, and a non-domestic animal, even one born in captivity. Pet skunk is not a domestic animal. Yeah I guess you can make it a pet, but you can't expect the type of animal that will sit on your lap, play with you, and have any semblance of potty training. Instead you will probably have a pet that bites you without warning, craps everywhere, hides all day, and tears up furniture. That's OK for small docile animals like birds, turtles, etc. But a skunk can be a little bit too large, and some are mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 02:50 PM

9,614 posts, read 10,186,428 times
Alrighty then, lets see hows about food? do you find food is an important part of camping? do you have anything special you fix while camping?
I'm not a big eater at home, no breakfast nothing special most of the time but when I'm camping food is so good, a big breakfast, eggs bacon, sausage, shredded hashbrowns and roastbeef hash, lunch is normally a snack and dinner is a BBQ steak blowout with my special beans and potatos with garlic bread. I can't forget the salsa either and lots of it.
I don't know what it is about camping and food but it sure is good

Old 07-14-2009, 02:55 PM

115 posts, read 178,549 times
we are tent campers currently & I cant wait to be able to afford a rv I love going to new places & the whole camping experiance. but Im tired of the tent, sometimes I even get anxiety attacks while in the tent( no other times,I dont know what it is)

Old 07-14-2009, 04:00 PM

5,810 posts, read 6,898,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yes but there is a difference between a domesticated animal (developed from 1,000's of years of breeding and living with humans) like a cat and dog, and a non-domestic animal, even one born in captivity. Pet skunk is not a domestic animal. Yeah I guess you can make it a pet, but you can't expect the type of animal that will sit on your lap, play with you, and have any semblance of potty training. Instead you will probably have a pet that bites you without warning, craps everywhere, hides all day, and tears up furniture. That's OK for small docile animals like birds, turtles, etc. But a skunk can be a little bit too large, and some are mean.
Not really, I know a lady that has one as a pet and it loves to curl up on her lap, follows her like a baby, eat out of her hand and loves to be handled. Its potty trained like her cat is and sleeps whith the cat as well. If you provide them with a in-house kennel, it becomes thier little sanctuary. Skunks by nature are very docile creatures and only attack with provoked and they love to raom and explore.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:02 PM

6,569 posts, read 8,722,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Alrighty then, lets see hows about food? do you find food is an important part of camping? do you have anything special you fix while camping?
I'm not a big eater at home, no breakfast nothing special most of the time but when I'm camping food is so good, a big breakfast, eggs bacon, sausage, shredded hashbrowns and roastbeef hash, lunch is normally a snack and dinner is a BBQ steak blowout with my special beans and potatos with garlic bread. I can't forget the salsa either and lots of it.
There really is a serious disparity in this forum - tent campers, backpackers...and then RV's which are an entire different world all together. I guess we need a different forum. I just can't relate.

The point is I read this, as a tent and car camper, and thought WTF? The idea in even tent camping is to keep it simple, and backpacking you are limited by weight.

Backpacking - ramin noodles, dried food, MRE equivalents, grits, granola bars, pasta. You can have good meals backpacking, if you are creative, I've never had the patience. Spices come in handy here. The commerically available freeze dried backpacking food is a bit expensive but some of it is pretty good.

Tent camping - you can get a little more elaborate. Canned food come in handy here - heavy but easy to prepare. Anything that involves complex preperation means you are stuck with the hassles of cleaning your gear. You can cook steaks and hamburgers, but it takes valuable beer space in the cooler. Hashbrowns? Pretty tough. I prefer it simple.

Those powder pancakes, just add water, go pretty good however.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:45 PM

9,614 posts, read 10,186,428 times
Quote:
There really is a serious disparity in this forum - tent campers, backpackers...and then RV's which are an entire different world all together. I guess we need a different forum. I just can't relate.

The point is I read this, as a tent and car camper, and thought WTF? The idea in even tent camping is to keep it simple, and backpacking you are limited by weight.

Backpacking - ramin noodles, dried food, MRE equivalents, grits, granola bars, pasta. You can have good meals backpacking, if you are creative, I've never had the patience. Spices come in handy here. The commerically available freeze dried backpacking food is a bit expensive but some of it is pretty good.

Tent camping - you can get a little more elaborate. Canned food come in handy here - heavy but easy to prepare. Anything that involves complex preperation means you are stuck with the hassles of cleaning your gear. You can cook steaks and hamburgers, but it takes valuable beer space in the cooler. Hashbrowns? Pretty tough. I prefer it simple.

Your right there is a big differance in types of camping, we tent camp 99% of the time but I like to eat and drink when camping, I prepare my food before I go, everything is in it's own bag ready to cook, no prep time no big hassle cleaning, I've also backpacked with dried food but always packed into an area with good fishing for some good eats.
Beer space just means a dedicated ice chest which i always have Part of camping for me is the good meal and with a little prep time before I go I can have it. It's all about enjoyment.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Your right there is a big differance in types of camping, we tent camp 99% of the time but I like to eat and drink when camping, I prepare my food before I go, everything is in it's own bag ready to cook, no prep time no big hassle cleaning, I've also backpacked with dried food but always packed into an area with good fishing for some good eats.
Beer space just means a dedicated ice chest which i always have Part of camping for me is the good meal and with a little prep time before I go I can have it. It's all about enjoyment.
Wouldn't MRE's be easier? No pre-prep, no heavy cans, no extra sauces or spices to carry. And all kinds of different types of meals for you to choose from. Yum? Yum?

Old 07-14-2009, 07:44 PM

10,968 posts, read 6,621,858 times
Quote:
I think I gained 5 pounds just reading that! Sounds wonderful!

Old 07-19-2009, 06:18 PM

Thumbs up fire food

Quote:
Seems that food cooked over an open fire just taste better, somehow .

Old 07-19-2009, 08:20 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,021,542 times
Quote:
RD, we're a lot alike when it comes to food and camping. When I'm camping, I usually do it up big for breakfast and dinner, but only snack at lunchtime, like you do. This is nothing like what I do when I'm not camping, since I rarely eat breakfast, and don't go all out at dinnertime. Lunch is often my main meal of the day when I'm not camping. Crazy, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing