U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:40 AM

817 posts, read 1,952,123 times

Advertisements

Earthbound - you should check out NH sometime. Lots of great places to camp here. We haven't been to any parks though, we only stay in primitive spots.

This is from Easter weekend ( cell phone pic).
Attached Thumbnails
Camping and RVing Open Chat Thread-easter2010.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 05:59 PM

6,076 posts, read 11,013,762 times
I see you have your own Port-A-Pooper, I think that I would have had it a little farther away if that's what it is.
How's the fly fishing up there in your neck of the woods?

Old 04-12-2010, 06:51 PM

That's the shower. The pooper is back ordered, but I won't keep it that close. Even though it has WAG bags.

I haven't tried fly fishing myself, so can't say for sure. Lots of people come here to fish though. And hunt and hike and leaf peep. NH is an outdoorsman's paradise. Other kinds of people might find it boring.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:49 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,446,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Earthbound - you should check out NH sometime. Lots of great places to camp here. We haven't been to any parks though, we only stay in primitive spots.

This is from Easter weekend ( cell phone pic).
I just commented about your campsite in the "favorite item" thread, but thought I'd add another comment here. I don't know if you've thought of it, but a piece of indoor/outdoor carpeting makes a great entryway for your tent. (Maybe you already have one on the back side of the tent - I can't tell.) It gives you a place to wipe your shoes or feet, so you don't track dirt inside, and it gives a nice "homey" feel to the campsite, as well. If you have a large enough carpet, you can even place it between your tent and your camp kitchen, so you can move between them without walking in the dirt. This helps to keep the campsite clean, but also adds to the load of what must be carried and setup in camp.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:23 PM

And the puppy's like the carpet too

Old 04-12-2010, 10:37 PM

15,926 posts, read 7,178,949 times
Hey! I got a bit of a dilemma. My hubby is a hard core, out door river man. Him and his friends go kayaking about 3 - 10 times a year, for 3 - 14 days/nights. They pull over on the river on some gravely/rock shelf and catch, clean, and cook their supper. Make their sleeping bunks, some with tents, most with not. Well he really wants to take me on a one or two night-er, but seriously I don't know if I can "hang" or not. I need a comfy cozy bed, and am not sure if I could sleep comfy, cozy under the stars and wilds of the river camp. What would ya'll do if you were me???

Old 04-12-2010, 11:03 PM

jdavid - the part of the tent you can see in the picture is just the screen house. It has no floor attached. We have a footprint under the tent though and an area rug just inside the door. That's where the dog sleeps, so she can smell or see any critters approaching (that green thing laying beside the tent is Her Highness' bed).

We just take shoes that we can easily slip out of when we step in there and no shoes or dogs are allowed in the area we sleep in. The footprint gets kind of muddy when it rains, but I can just hang it on the clothesline and spray it down. I need some kind of rubber mat for outside of the shower though. It's hard to dry your feet in there when the floor is still wet.

Not sure I'd want a rug outside... the ground around here is mostly sand.

Sweetie Pie - get yourself a sleeping pad or piece of memory foam from Walmart (if you have room) and go along! You won't know if you can stand it until you try.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:59 AM

(Be Free) is right Sweetie Pie, you don't know unless you try it just once. Besides, you may find that it much more fun and relaxing than you thought. I'm sure they don't expect you to keep up and much as they would of you to just enjoy yourself.

And that's what be out doors is all about, HAVING FUN.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:32 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,423,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post

Sweetie Pie - get yourself a sleeping pad or piece of memory foam from Walmart (if you have room) and go along! You won't know if you can stand it until you try.

Nix on the memory foam......open-cell foam while traveling in a kayak leads to visions of a damp (or worse) mattress.

Get yourself a good quality sleeping pad -- either an inflatable or one made of closed-cell foam that won't absorb water.

All you have to lose, SweetiePie, is maybe a night's sleep, while you may gain a whole new life interest.

It might be a good idea, though, to make your first trip with just your husband so that he isn't trying to "show off" for the guys and you won't be embarrassed when you inevitably aren't perfect right out of the gate.

Have fun.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:07 AM

15,926 posts, read 7,178,949 times
Thanks for your encouragement BeFree, EarthBound, & Cornerguy!!! Yeah my husband's pretty squared away, when it comes to kayaking/camping on the river. I'm sure I'll do it before too long, will let you know how it was........................unless a mountain lion eats me!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing