Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 11:34 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,101,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
We camped three nights in Montana, all in different places. After spending a night in a hotel in Billings, we camped near Livingston, Holter Lake (north of Helena), and Glacier National Park. The scenery everywhere in western Montana is spectacular, and well worth seeing. We went there after having already traveled through east-central Nevada (Great Basin N.P.), Utah (Fishlake National Forest), Colorado, and Wyoming all on this same road trip. Basically, we've traveled and seen the sights by day, and camped overnight, then hit the road again in the morning. Today I'm posting from Elko, Nevada, after traveling down through Idaho yesterday. We'll be heading back to California today.
Thanks for sharing with us your travels, I hope the young'uns are have'in fun. Isn't Glacier National truly touched by the hand of the Creator? Good luck and please be careful on your way back to the homestead . Next time we won't to see pics of your travels.

Last edited by EarthBound?; 08-08-2009 at 11:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 02:23 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,563,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Thanks for sharing with us your travels, I hope the young'uns are have'in fun. Isn't Glacier National truly touched by the hand of the Creator? Good luck and please be careful on your way back to the homestead . Next time we won't to see pics of your travels.
Well, we made it home safe and sound this evening. I'll be getting those pictures downloaded to the computer soon, then I'll post a few of them.

Glacier is gorgeous, but I feel that way about most of the western U.S., as well. The Beartooth Highway (in WY and MT), and the Chief Joseph Highway (in WY), offer some of the most spectacular scenery I've ever seen. There truly are a lot of gorgeous places throughout the U.S.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:22 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,226,045 times
Default 1972 Champion Motorhome w/ a Mopar ?

I have a lady friend who just bought a Champion Motorhome at a auction in Sierra County New Mexcio, and we're wondering what size engine it has in it?

I do know this much, it is a Mopar/Dodge big block, but we're wondering if it has a 383 or a 440 cubic inch engine. We can't find any identifying stencils, tags, or anything on it. We only need to know this for ordering repair parts for it. Are 383's and 440's similar for ignition parts, filters, etc?
Can anyone help? Thanks!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:37 AM

66 posts, read 155,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
I have a lady friend who just bought a Champion Motorhome at a auction in Sierra County New Mexcio, and we're wondering what size engine it has in it?

I do know this much, it is a Mopar/Dodge big block, but we're wondering if it has a 383 or a 440 cubic inch engine. We can't find any identifying stencils, tags, or anything on it. We only need to know this for ordering repair parts for it. Are 383's and 440's similar for ignition parts, filters, etc?
Can anyone help? Thanks!
She bought it from an auction? Being that they stopped making Champions in about 1971 I wonder if she bought it from a scrap yard. I sincerly hope your friend did not pay too much for that thing. I really do. Did you see it? What does it look like?

Back in the 70s, safety was not an issue on automobiles, on RVs safety was unheard of. And even today Dodge/Chrysler dont know what the word safety is.

If your friend dont know much about rehabbing old RVs then I strongly suggest you sell that monster to a club who buys them... championfleetowners.org
Even if you have questions you can contact these people for free advice.

Even in restored condition, and I have seen the above menioned club staying at the same RV parks as I, they are still top heavy dangerous slush buckets. And like anything else made by Dodge/Chrysler, it's kinda like a Walmart quality product.

Sorry for not having much good to say but I had to say it. It's the truth. But I do wish your friend luck. Just be very careful driiving that thing and dont drive where there are curves in the road where you will have to turn the steering wheel. I also suggest driving it after hours because they dont do over 45.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:48 PM

Thanks for nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVer View Post
She bought it from an auction? Being that they stopped making Champions in about 1971 I wonder if she bought it from a scrap yard. I sincerly hope your friend did not pay too much for that thing. I really do. Did you see it? What does it look like?

Back in the 70s, safety was not an issue on automobiles, on RVs safety was unheard of. And even today Dodge/Chrysler dont know what the word safety is.

If your friend dont know much about rehabbing old RVs then I strongly suggest you sell that monster to a club who buys them... championfleetowners.org
Even if you have questions you can contact these people for free advice.

Even in restored condition, and I have seen the above menioned club staying at the same RV parks as I, they are still top heavy dangerous slush buckets. And like anything else made by Dodge/Chrysler, it's kinda like a Walmart quality product.

Sorry for not having much good to say but I had to say it. It's the truth. But I do wish your friend luck. Just be very careful driiving that thing and dont drive where there are curves in the road where you will have to turn the steering wheel. I also suggest driving it after hours because they dont do over 45.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:07 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,300,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post

Can anyone help? Thanks!
There should be some sort of tag in the engine compartment some where that will ID the engine, if not look on the engine or heads take the numbers and do a search with them on the internet, plenty of those big blocks around, should be easy to get parts.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
There should be some sort of tag in the engine compartment some where that will ID the engine, if not look on the engine or heads take the numbers and do a search with them on the internet, plenty of those big blocks around, should be easy to get parts.
Thanks. We looked for a tag, and after a google search, found most all champions have the 440 cubic inch engine.

I went with my lady friend to pick this rv up at the auction, and it was quite amazing. I pressed down on the accelerator twice, because I know it's carbuerated, just to give it some gas and to set the choke, and it fired right up, and, runs pretty smooth for it's age and size (440). I would like to think that any mopar 440 which runs nice might be worth at least a grand. My lady friend paid 500 for it, so, I don't think that's too bad. Anything's worth 5 if it runs and drives.
Thanks for the help.
roberto

Old 08-10-2009, 09:51 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,152,402 times
Heck no. It would make a great fishing rig, at least in some parts of the country. It would make a good guest room, play house, or maybe even beat a tent for sleeping out in the boonies. And it should be about finished depreciating.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:52 PM

Unhappy More Foreclosures

I watched the depressing news again today, and the ticker at the bottom of the screen said that foreclosures of homes was up 7% more than june, which is not good news at all.

Maybe people are thinking of opting to get an rv, a tent or whatever they can find to live in.
We lost our home in 2005, and have been living in a trailer ever since. At first we missed all of the amenities our home had, but, have become accustomed to having less.
Is there anyone out here in a situation of losing their home? or, has lost it already and are on the mend?

Old 08-13-2009, 03:31 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,562,208 times
Wow, sorry to hear you lost your home.

I just worry that a lot of people are thinking of going into the permanent RV lifestyle (voluntarily), then find out that they can't find any free or cheap RV parks to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing