Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:12 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVer View Post
Las Vegas for one. That is not an RV friendly city. If you go south to Laughlin, NV it's the same thing but not quite as bad. If you cross over the river to Bullhead City all the RV parks there, and there is a lot of them, they have a sign that says Nevada RVers you are welcome here.

Long Island is another RV unfriendly place. The rules are so strict that less then 5 RV parks still exist.

By unfriendly I mean strict rules about RV parking, no Walmart RV parking, small gas stations where you cant fit.
That is disappointing since I'm planning a move to Vegas or Pahrump which I hear is basically one big RV/mobile park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 01:04 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,927 times
I think it is far safer to park @ Wally World than @ a rest area, and more convenient as well, bcuz you can stock up on food, and supplies. When I lived in central Fla. I sometimes slept in my car and always got hasseled by the police. I wish I had known about the list of overnight friendly stores back then.

Actually there was one in Kissimmee that allowed me to do it but I was worried about the security messing with me so I didn't stay there again.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:46 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
I think it is far safer to park @ Wally World than @ a rest area, and more convenient as well, bcuz you can stock up on food, and supplies. When I lived in central Fla. I sometimes slept in my car and always got hasseled by the police. I wish I had known about the list of overnight friendly stores back then.

Actually there was one in Kissimmee that allowed me to do it but I was worried about the security messing with me so I didn't stay there again.
I agree. Rest stops and truck stops can be kind of seedy at times. Plus, at wally world, you can get your bp checked at the pharmacy.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:03 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
There are good regulations and bad regulations. I can understand regulating commercial vehicles but an RV is a personal vehicle like a car. How do they define RV? If I put a toilet and mattress in my van does that make it an RV?
Yes, they have vans that are complete RV's.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:43 PM

16 posts, read 113,953 times
I can't imagine "wanting" to overnight at a Walmart, but I would certainly stay there if I felt I was too tired to drive safely.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:10 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,927 times
Do they take reservations?

Old 08-10-2009, 09:44 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I read this in our local paper yesterday about Walmart boondocking. (http://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/articles/2009/08/10/news/yesterday/news05.txt - broken link) It kinda sums it up.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:55 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,049,517 times
Yes, there are at least three forums that I'm aware of that are devoted to discussing issues of RV Walmarting. Again, it's stressed that it's not CAMPING, it's a place to stay one night. They encourage not to use slides or set up a lot of outside gear to make it appear that you are camping ...all those things listed under "Parking Lot Etiquette" in the article that WyoNewk posted.

They definitely stress to buy stuff at Walmart before leaving as a thank you. And another thing that is stressed is leaving the place cleaner than when you arrived.

One guy told a story of some idiot emptying his black tank in the parking lot just before leaving. Shouldn't do that if we expect Walmart to keep accommodating us ...that of course goes without saying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing