U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 03:27 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,654,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't think all RV'ers are necessarily rich and spending $30 a night just to park because they don't need water or electricity or facilities gets too expensive. They could park in the rest stops too -- which of course many do and you can spend the night in those even just sleeping in your car -- but it's good business for Walmart to get them as shoppers. Plus Walmarts are almost always near restaurants and busy shopping locations. I've gone by and seen people sitting out on lounge chairs socializing and I'm always kind of envious -- it looks like fun.

You're right, Walmart should be allowed to have them and they hurt no one. I'm more likely to go into a Walmart at night that has them because the parking lot looks more occupied than if it is empty.

I know RV'ers sometimes are a bit creative when looking for a place to park. One woman told me that they wanted a quiet place for the night and would look for an empty lot with a for-sale sign or in a new housing subdivision going up. Usually they weren't questioned but if they were they'd say they were considering purchasing the place and were just checking it out. They never hurt anything and probably their presence in a housing subdivision was protection for the homes.
Yea but rest stops have big semis who leave their engine idling all night long. The smell of disel and the noise makes rest stops unattractive.

I have stopped in rest stops. I have never stopped at a Walmart parking lot but will not rule it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 03:39 PM

11,941 posts, read 12,834,485 times
This is one of my goals in life...I want to camp at a Walmart overnight!!! ha ha

Seriously, it is...

Old 07-26-2009, 04:07 PM

6,076 posts, read 11,016,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
This is one of my goals in life...I want to camp at a Walmart overnight!!! ha ha

Seriously, it is...
You have issues, don't you? LOL

Old 07-26-2009, 05:42 PM

11,941 posts, read 12,834,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
You have issues, don't you? LOL
naaaaa...I just enjoy the simple things in life!

Old 07-26-2009, 06:30 PM

9,421 posts, read 17,398,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post

Seriously, it is...
Mine too!

I parked and slept over in a truck stop once and at an interstate rest area once. Next time it's going to be a Walmart. Friendlier fellow campers, I think.

I doubt there are many campers who stay for more than a night at a Walmart, usually just traveling through. We look for campgrounds, but when you're driving until late and leaving early, sometimes finding the campground is more trouble than what it's worth, not to mention that the cost just to park for 6-8 hours is a little high.

Those who make Walmart their camping distination.... Is it fun? I've actually suggested it to my wife -- to go camping at our local Walmart a mile away. I'm not sure what I'd do if she agreed to it.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:45 PM

15,891 posts, read 15,299,608 times
I have a friend who has a button store (yeah, folks collect expensive buttons) in a strip mall on one of the old highways that goes through town.

Trucks and RVers pull in and hook up for an overnight stay. The operating words are "hook up." There are signs telling them not to but they do anyway.

As a result, the shop owners in the mall, all 8 of them, have to pay for the electricity used by these traveling folks. Personally, I would not mind paying for their electricity but in today's economy every expense hurts.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:02 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,892,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiest50 View Post
We have a 24 hour Walmart that's located 20 minutes from the fabulous Adirondack Mtn's and 20 minutes from the Saratoga Race Track.
Well I went shopping up there this morning around 6:30am and there had to be at least 8-10 RV's parked in the back parking lot.All set up.Curtains closed.They have signs everywhere that there's no overnight parking yet they still park there...
First of all I don't know why anybody would want to park in a Walmart parking lot for their vacation.
I mean I know it's alot cheaper than actually paying to stay in an RV park in the Adirondack's but if you can afford a very expensive RV you should at least be able to afford to stay in an RV park...right??
I don't know.It just seemed strange to see their parking lot turned into an RV park....that's all.
I know I shouldn't worry about it(and I'm not)it's not my problem(no it's not) but just wondering why anybody would want to spend their vacation in a parking lot?
All you RV'er's out there...is that the norm?
It's racing season up there in Saratoga and maybe most RV parks are full

Old 07-28-2009, 09:38 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,912,557 times
An overnight at Walmart isn't a bad idea if you need to restock or get some things. Many RV'ers don't have addl transportation in the form of a motorcycle or towed behind car which makes it difficult to get off site from where you're camping longer term.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:30 PM

66 posts, read 133,039 times
I am no fan of Walmart but they have a marketing plan. All Walmarts except for those in cities where local communist codes forbid it will allow overnighters. The theory is the overnighter will come in side to stock up.

Just this morning we pulled into a Walmart gas station and saw an large RV in the parking lot. There was a sign on it by security saying they been parked more then the 24hour limit and must move. I never seen that before.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:39 PM

6,076 posts, read 11,016,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVer View Post
I am no fan of Walmart but they have a marketing plan. All Walmarts except for those in cities where local communist codes forbid it will allow overnighters. The theory is the overnighter will come in side to stock up.

Just this morning we pulled into a Walmart gas station and saw an large RV in the parking lot. There was a sign on it by security saying they been parked more then the 24hour limit and must move. I never seen that before.
Maybe they didn't want the locals to feel that it was a new camp grounds that got started up . Besides, how much longer does one need to get rested and move on down the road. Or, they saw the movie about that girl that was living in the WalMart when she was prego's . And thought to themselve, "OMG, we ain't agona like that be a happenin here"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing