U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2009, 12:50 PM
 
Location: The #1 sunshine state, Arizona.
12,172 posts, read 15,456,916 times
Reputation: 64033

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVer View Post
I am no fan of Walmart but they have a marketing plan. All Walmarts except for those in cities where local communist codes forbid it will allow overnighters. The theory is the overnighter will come in side to stock up.

Just this morning we pulled into a Walmart gas station and saw an large RV in the parking lot. There was a sign on it by security saying they been parked more then the 24hour limit and must move. I never seen that before.
Which cities have local communist codes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2009, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Texas
66 posts, read 133,039 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Which cities have local communist codes?
Las Vegas for one. That is not an RV friendly city. If you go south to Laughlin, NV it's the same thing but not quite as bad. If you cross over the river to Bullhead City all the RV parks there, and there is a lot of them, they have a sign that says Nevada RVers you are welcome here.

Long Island is another RV unfriendly place. The rules are so strict that less then 5 RV parks still exist.

By unfriendly I mean strict rules about RV parking, no Walmart RV parking, small gas stations where you cant fit.

There is a new universally accepted RV friendly state signs popping up on all highways. Some RV friendly states were quick to adapt this. It is a round bright yellow sign that says RV as the eyes and a big smile under it. Towns/cities/states have to meet some strict qualifications to be able to post this sign on their highways. Rvers will seek out states where these signs are posted.

Currently only these states are considered RV friendly whereby the states take extra care in designing roadways and adapting codes making service stations and rest stops more easily accessable and welcoming for RVers. They are:

CA OR WA ID NM TX LA FL GA TN IL WI VT IA and MI

Nevada is the worst with more local codes and restrictions then any other state. It is against the law to stay in the same RV park for more then 14 consecutive days. How's that for unwelcoming hospitality. This rule is generally ignored by a couple RV parks I know. When one checks in to an RV park, your DL is copied and sent to the pig station. This is also true with off strip hotels and especially the extended stay places. Some say this is because many criminals go to Vegas to hide out and check in to hotels. Whatever the reason it is a violation of our rights. Oops we dont have too many of those anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 02:52 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
11,941 posts, read 12,834,485 times
Reputation: 17187
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVer View Post
Las Vegas for one. That is not an RV friendly city. If you go south to Laughlin, NV it's the same thing but not quite as bad. If you cross over the river to Bullhead City all the RV parks there, and there is a lot of them, they have a sign that says Nevada RVers you are welcome here.

Long Island is another RV unfriendly place. The rules are so strict that less then 5 RV parks still exist.

By unfriendly I mean strict rules about RV parking, no Walmart RV parking, small gas stations where you cant fit.

There is a new universally accepted RV friendly state signs popping up on all highways. Some RV friendly states were quick to adapt this. It is a round bright yellow sign that says RV as the eyes and a big smile under it. Towns/cities/states have to meet some strict qualifications to be able to post this sign on their highways. Rvers will seek out states where these signs are posted.

Currently only these states are considered RV friendly whereby the states take extra care in designing roadways and adapting codes making service stations and rest stops more easily accessable and welcoming for RVers. They are:

CA OR WA ID NM TX LA FL GA TN IL WI VT IA and MI

Nevada is the worst with more local codes and restrictions then any other state. It is against the law to stay in the same RV park for more then 14 consecutive days. How's that for unwelcoming hospitality. This rule is generally ignored by a couple RV parks I know. When one checks in to an RV park, your DL is copied and sent to the pig station. This is also true with off strip hotels and especially the extended stay places. Some say this is because many criminals go to Vegas to hide out and check in to hotels. Whatever the reason it is a violation of our rights. Oops we dont have too many of those anymore.

GO TEXAS!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2009, 06:31 AM
 
5,822 posts, read 13,318,850 times
Reputation: 9290
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVer View Post
I am no fan of Walmart but they have a marketing plan. All Walmarts except for those in cities where local communist codes forbid it will allow overnighters. The theory is the overnighter will come in side to stock up.

Just this morning we pulled into a Walmart gas station and saw an large RV in the parking lot. There was a sign on it by security saying they been parked more then the 24hour limit and must move. I never seen that before.
We live in Saratoga and it is our understanding that Walmart's located near a highway (Northway in this case) do not allow overnight parking. This is because the RV Parks want the business. Walmarts located off the highways will allow overnight parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2009, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Wyoming
9,421 posts, read 17,398,135 times
Reputation: 14094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We live in Saratoga and it is our understanding that Walmart's located near a highway (Northway in this case) do not allow overnight parking. This is because the RV Parks want the business. Walmarts located off the highways will allow overnight parking.
That could be common in some areas, but certainly not all. Our local Walmart is within a half mile of an I-90 exchange, and they welcome overnight campers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2009, 10:23 PM
 
Location: Keonsha, Wisconsin
2,480 posts, read 2,877,629 times
Reputation: 575
They do the same thing here in southwest New Mexico. Sometimes our walmart looks like a campground. It saves people money because they don't have to pay over-nighter fees, and, they're not bothered by walmart managers, who probably welcome the business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2009, 10:34 PM
 
Location: state of enlightenment
2,390 posts, read 4,676,284 times
Reputation: 2435
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVer View Post
I am no fan of Walmart but they have a marketing plan. All Walmarts except for those in cities where local communist codes forbid it will allow overnighters. The theory is the overnighter will come in side to stock up.

Just this morning we pulled into a Walmart gas station and saw an large RV in the parking lot. There was a sign on it by security saying they been parked more then the 24hour limit and must move. I never seen that before.
Yeah, I just hate those communist codes that forbid people from burning tires on their front lawns and sanitary regulations for septic systems and throwing garbage out the window and forcing car companies to put brake lights on cars and forcing people to stop at red lights and all those other COMMUNIST codes! Is there no end to the foaming at the mouth right wing paranoia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2009, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Keonsha, Wisconsin
2,480 posts, read 2,877,629 times
Reputation: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Yeah, I just hate those communist codes that forbid people from burning tires on their front lawns and sanitary regulations for septic systems and throwing garbage out the window and forcing car companies to put brake lights on cars and forcing people to stop at red lights and all those other COMMUNIST codes! Is there no end to the foaming at the mouth right wing paranoia?
Yeah man, like seatbelts too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2009, 10:36 AM
 
Location: state of enlightenment
2,390 posts, read 4,676,284 times
Reputation: 2435
There are good regulations and bad regulations. I can understand regulating commercial vehicles but an RV is a personal vehicle like a car. How do they define RV? If I put a toilet and mattress in my van does that make it an RV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2009, 10:53 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
11,941 posts, read 12,834,485 times
Reputation: 17187
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
There are good regulations and bad regulations. I can understand regulating commercial vehicles but an RV is a personal vehicle like a car. How do they define RV? If I put a toilet and mattress in my van does that make it an RV?
yep!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top