U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Just wondering.
I too am looking for people who want to go camping. I live in South Georgia and there is a Meetup site in Tallahassee, Florida, which is a hiking only site I think. (florida Trails assn in Apalachee National Forest).

I am single and would like to find people to meet up with somewhere - usually I tent camp with my truck, alone or with others, and recently got back from a trip from Georga to southern Utah with a girlfriend but we differed a lot on places to see and didn't seem to want to do the same things. Hard as we were sharing a vehicle. (Although in Utah, what's not to like.) Would rather have had my own truck so I could both do my own thing and meet up with people for companionship, just not constant companionship, and to learn things but not be stuck with only one person who wants to do different things than I do. Wonderful trip, though.I've camped all my life, usually in tents although have thought about getting a travel trailer. (Last trip was hard putting tent up every night before you could flop, then take it down next day or two) Just don't know enough about travel trailers or RV's. Need to learn and have been looking around. I am retired so pretty free about times to go. I like being alone as well as with people, just not too crowded.

All my close friends want to sleep in hotels and don't camp. I don't mind meeting up with with people some distance away from where I live.

I camp a lot on Cumberland Island on the Georgia Coast, which is nearby. No cars allowed on island, have to get there by ferry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 08:20 PM

1,379 posts, read 2,677,576 times
@suzanne. My husband and I also got tired of the work involved with tent camping (of which we've done a lot). We live in Oregon, so weather is also a factor. This year we bought a used TT and are excited about taking it out on the road. I think if I was single, I would prefer a small RV. The conversion type with the small truck cab. I think they would be easier to handle and more economical to drive.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,693 posts, read 40,062,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne.travels View Post
I too am looking for people who want to go camping. I live in South Georgia ... Would rather have had my own truck so I could both do my own thing and meet up with people for companionship, ...

Just don't know enough about travel trailers or RV's. Need to learn and have been looking around. I am retired so pretty free about times to go. I like being alone as well as with people, just not too crowded.

to meet LOTS of camping people (especially on east coast where these are more rare...
get a westy,

for a single gal I would recommend a more recent (post 1992) 'eurovan' conversion, than earlier Vanagon / or type II and Type III. (have a $100 tranny cooler added for GREAT longevity and few(er) repairs.)
WetWesties - A Pacific Northwest Camping Society (There are many groups on Internet and probably a few on east coast)

I use a Rialta, but it is very limited for off road sites.
Rialta Heaven - Welcome - Rialta Eurovan Camper, VW Rialta Camper, Used Camper Van

My Toyota Chinook got a lot of attention too. You can still find lots of them for under $1200.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Toyo...w=1260&bih=739

A more common (and not so economical solution is a 'Roadtrek' van conversion. Interested folks will flock to all these vehicles, and other folks that have them will be your best friends in every campground.

(BTW, (as usual) I highly recommend joining a private travel (guesthome) club (Evergreen or Affordable travel if over age 50). These are SO SAFE, and so nice to meet and learn from locals... $10 - $20 / night can be a nice 'camping' alternative, especially after weeks on the road / trail. I really enjoy my stays in 'Sun city' sites. I just hang out at the pool for a few days to recharge, then back to camping via http://freecampgrounds.com/

Old 12-15-2011, 01:09 PM

1,379 posts, read 2,677,576 times
Stealth, do they have those clubs in Canada, too?
We're thinking of traveling across Canada some day and that does sound like a nice respite, even from a TT. We have a dog. Are some places pet friendly?

Old 12-15-2011, 01:42 PM

11,943 posts, read 12,845,765 times
We joined a
Good Sams Club chapter and have loved it!

Old 12-16-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
Stealth, do they have those clubs in Canada, too?
We're thinking of traveling across Canada some day and that does sound like a nice respite, even from a TT. We have a dog. Are some places pet friendly?
Clubs for van campers? yes, many are made there (including Roadtrek).

Clubs for guest homes ? Certainly, foreign countries (even Canada) are some of the best places to use them. There are Thousands of places worldwide. (some countries not so likely, some countries (Scandinavia area) prolific.)

Yes, some are pet friendly or can direct you. In each of the directories I use, there is a profile of the host (accommodations, interests, smoking or non, pets, dining, length of stay, household size (kids and pets), RV parking...)

have a great trip.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
We joined a
Good Sams Club chapter and have loved it!
Escapees RV Club the club for all RVers also

Old 12-16-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
More like weekend warriors here. I'll be long dead before hubby can retire!

Old 12-17-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
More like weekend warriors here. I'll be long dead before hubby can retire!
Me too, thus we travel / camp separately (different tastes, different vacations / breaks.) We're in the mode of working for health benefits, no more career (left that at age 49). Work awhile, play awhile. We both meet lots of friends while traveling. (in fact we often unexpectedly meet friends from home.. while climbing Statue of Liberty, or getting off a subway/train stop in Boston...)

I just booked SAT for end of Jan, Spouse booked CA (Fly/Drive) Rental car is usually $80-$100/WEEK and lodging same. Eating is same traveling or home ($3/day) (For same $200, I can rent (7) $30/night campground sites, or drive 140 miles (2.5 hrs) each day for 7 days @ 20 mpg in RV.. or only 1 hr in an 8mpg RV).

The Rialta will stay home and wait for a spring trip to the Oregon Coast, or WA mtns.

Next year it may live at various airports across USA while we independently fly / drive to vacation / explore.

As soon as one of us is OFF for extended time (yrs) we will buy a used Thousand Trails Platinum (~$1000). Also use FreeCampgrounds.com and guest homes + farms / camps that offer free RV site for a bit of work.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Me too, thus we travel / camp separately (different tastes, different vacations / breaks.) We're in the mode of working for health benefits, no more career (left that at age 49). Work awhile, play awhile. We both meet lots of friends while traveling. (in fact we often unexpectedly meet friends from home.. while climbing Statue of Liberty, or getting off a subway/train stop in Boston...)

I just booked SAT for end of Jan, Spouse booked CA (Fly/Drive) Rental car is usually $80-$100/WEEK and lodging same. Eating is same traveling or home ($3/day) (For same $200, I can rent (7) $30/night campground sites, or drive 140 miles (2.5 hrs) each day for 7 days @ 20 mpg in RV.. or only 1 hr in an 8mpg RV).

The Rialta will stay home and wait for a spring trip to the Oregon Coast, or WA mtns.

Next year it may live at various airports across USA while we independently fly / drive to vacation / explore.

As soon as one of us is OFF for extended time (yrs) we will buy a used Thousand Trails Platinum (~$1000). Also use FreeCampgrounds.com and guest homes + farms / camps that offer free RV site for a bit of work.
Your going to San Antonio?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing