Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 02:05 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVer View Post
RVers are not stuck up. They welcome anyone.
You know.....they really aren't. I've been to campgrounds where for convenience we camped in the car and there was a caravan group of huge motorhomes next to us who were very friendly. You can be tent camping in a park and no one looks down, maybe they admire you even -- if anything tent campers might lord it over those in a motorhome a little. You can feel more authentic in a tent after all.

Many in big motorhomes had popup camper days before or maybe they have both and use one or the other depending on the circumstance. The whole thing about camping out is being adventuresome and flexible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 10:26 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Just wondering.
Be nice. Be yourself. Say howdy to eveyone you meet or see. Never discuss politics or religion when meeting fellow campers.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:21 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,824,997 times
I go camping to get away from people.

Which is why my camper has four wheel drive.

I can go where others can't and don't have to mingle with the masses at the developed campgrounds.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:44 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
That's why we go too. And we go to places which are less accessible to common folk. If people want to be around people, they can go to the State Parks and KOA. When we go to these less accessible places, occasionally we'll meet people who are woodsy, like minded.

Quote:

I can go where others can't and don't have to mingle with the masses at the developed campgrounds.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:00 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,588,506 times
Quote:
When I go camping, it's to get away from the crowds of people (not people in particular, just crowds of people) that seem to be almost everywhere these days. I also do so to escape the daily grind of everyday life. I don't mind having a few other folks around when I'm camping, though (unless I'm fishing).

Quote:
I don't have a camper, but my truck hauls all my camping gear quite nicely, and also has four wheel drive. It is nice for getting into remote sites, especially when I want to catch fish.

Quote:
I don't mind the developed campgrounds from time to time. The amenities they offer are sometimes very welcome, especially if the campground has things like showers, after I have been camping in a primitive site in the woods for several days.

I do enjoy traveling to remote sites for camping, particularly when fishing is involved, because crowds and fishing generally don't make a good combination. Backcountry lakes and streams almost always seem to have better fishing, at least from my experience.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:49 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,009 times
I go camping to get away from people, but some people seem to like to bring suburbia with them. They want to hang up decorations, put up a sign saying who they are and where they're from, and set everything up so it looks like a little version of their house back home. That's fine, but it's not for me!

The other extreme are the hardcore tenters/backpackers who want to hike into the backcountry and rock-climb and fish; that's not me either!

A "necessary amenity" to one person is needless extravagance to another. I personally don't understand the point of going camping and then trying to recreate your home comforts there - satellite TV, internet, etc? Don't get that. About the only thing I require in a campground is a toilet building with a door that shuts, and a water spigot somewhere in the campground. But to a backcountry camping enthusiast, that means I'm a hopeless suburbanite!

So, not only is it hard to find people who like to camp, it's hard to find people who think "camping" means the same thing that you think it means.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:59 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,136,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
I go camping to get away from people, but some people seem to like to bring suburbia with them. They want to hang up decorations, put up a sign saying who they are and where they're from, and set everything up so it looks like a little version of their house back home. That's fine, but it's not for me!

The other extreme are the hardcore tenters/backpackers who want to hike into the backcountry and rock-climb and fish; that's not me either!

A "necessary amenity" to one person is needless extravagance to another. I personally don't understand the point of going camping and then trying to recreate your home comforts there - satellite TV, internet, etc? Don't get that. About the only thing I require in a campground is a toilet building with a door that shuts, and a water spigot somewhere in the campground. But to a backcountry camping enthusiast, that means I'm a hopeless suburbanite!

So, not only is it hard to find people who like to camp, it's hard to find people who think "camping" means the same thing that you think it means.
I have to agree with you there,

But I do carry my canoe, bikes, hamock and fishing poles. I don't care if I catch anything or not, I just like to cast a line from time to time. We have TV in the camper, but usually on just for the weather and stays off the rest of the day. We have a few extra lights that we carry, like rope lights only because we like to sit outside and talk most of the night. And from time to time a passer-by will stop and chat about the system I have to carry all the extra's. Then you will find those that just live down the road from the camp ground and have been camping there every summer for 20 years in the same spot, and thats thier kind of camping.

As for the OP's question, its hard to find those type of folks that want to go out camp everytime you want too. So just go out on you own and stop and talk to folk. Heck, you never know, you may bump into them again sometime down the road.

We trying to hit most of Ohio's state parks thses next few years, then will branch out into some of the closer states parks. The nice thing about Ohio's state parks, they don't put up with campers annoying thier neighbors, such as loud music. All of them have a quiet time from like 11pm til 7 or 8am.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:16 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,989,621 times
Dang! Some of you guys are.... very definite about what you don't want going on when you go.

Maybe I should have titled it " how do you met others that like to go camping,maybe play some washers, dice or cards ( outside if the weather is nice) very quietly as to not disturb others that came for peace and quiet. Caution Have been known to occasionally put out party lights and play music. Like to drink some, not much. Must enjoy the sound of laughter and good conversation."

Whew...how's that. ha ha. I do thank each and everyone of you that made a suggestion. I was just wondering about maybe clubs or groups. Sorry i wasn't more specific in the tittle.

This post is meant to be light hearted. Sorry if I offend anyone, I'm just poking fun.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:37 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,136,707 times
Well, I hear that the KOA have groups you can get in on .

I just like state parks because they keep thing enjoyable for all parties and unlike private parks that allow all to just PARTY. But thats just me .

Old 08-10-2009, 04:48 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,097,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
When I go camping, it's to get away from the crowds of people (not people in particular, just crowds of people) that seem to be almost everywhere these days. I also do so to escape the daily grind of everyday life. I don't mind having a few other folks around when I'm camping, though (unless I'm fishing).

I don't have a camper, but my truck hauls all my camping gear quite nicely, and also has four wheel drive. It is nice for getting into remote sites, especially when I want to catch fish.

I don't mind the developed campgrounds from time to time. The amenities they offer are sometimes very welcome, especially if the campground has things like showers, after I have been camping in a primitive site in the woods for several days.

I do enjoy traveling to remote sites for camping, particularly when fishing is involved, because crowds and fishing generally don't make a good combination. Backcountry lakes and streams almost always seem to have better fishing, at least from my experience.
Hmmmm.......I'm noticing a trend here........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing