Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 05:25 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,611 times

Advertisements

Ive really found this site to be extremely helpful : RV Park Reviews :: Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 06:29 PM

66 posts, read 155,959 times
I been using that site for several years now. I have many many reviews on it. When we travel it helps us decide if we want to go to a specific place or not.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:52 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
I love that site. It is the tripadvisor of rv parks. An RV park can always have a nice pretty website, but you here the truth from the average Joe's who post on rv park reviews. We once decided to not listen to a review and go to an RV park in Half Moon Bay, CA where everybody on the site said the manager was a crazy jerk. We learned our lesson because the manager was indeed a control freak/psycho. He knocked on our door and told us the lights INSIDE our RV needed to be off by 10PM saying "park policy for light pollution". Since then, I have trusted rv park reviews and ALWAYS check it first.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:59 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
I love that site. It is the tripadvisor of rv parks. An RV park can always have a nice pretty website, but you here the truth from the average Joe's who post on rv park reviews. We once decided to not listen to a review and go to an RV park in Half Moon Bay, CA where everybody on the site said the manager was a crazy jerk. We learned our lesson because the manager was indeed a control freak/psycho. He knocked on our door and told us the lights INSIDE our RV needed to be off by 10PM saying "park policy for light pollution". Since then, I have trusted rv park reviews and ALWAYS check it first.
WOW...thats a pretty unusual policy ! Unless theres a group of Astronomers nearby who need it very dark . Other than that, I wonder what exactly he meants by 'light pollution' ?? Polluting what ??? And was this policy written in the Park Rules that he gave you ?

Old 08-03-2009, 07:26 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
He had a problem with the lights inside your RV on. Wow, that is almost as strict as the communist HOAs people who live in stick built homes have to swallow.

Great site!! Been using it since about 06.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:42 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,383 times
I don't know why people camp at private parks, especially in the states where the state parks are much better run and more consistent in their rules. That's the #1 reason why I don't bother with private campgrounds. They're more expensive, too much like suburbia, and then you have to worry about whether or not the owners are control freaks or capricious in their policies.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:34 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
I don't know why people camp at private parks, especially in the states where the state parks are much better run and more consistent in their rules.
Because we don't have that option. Our rig will not fit in 99% of the state parks, and we are working full-timers who cannot deal with most of the parks 14-day rule. Not everyone falls into the "weekend" camper mold. I agree that for the average camper state parks are a great solution, but for a lot of us it is RV parks or boondocking at the Wal-mart on the way through town....

I too have used RV park reviews for several years. I think you have to learn to read between the lines. I'm kind of like the Olympic judges... I throw out the top.. throw out the bottom, and use the middle of the road posts as a true indication on the park.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
I don't know why people camp at private parks, especially in the states where the state parks are much better run and more consistent in their rules. That's the #1 reason why I don't bother with private campgrounds. They're more expensive, too much like suburbia, and then you have to worry about whether or not the owners are control freaks or capricious in their policies.
Well state parks almost never have sewer, water or electric. Some have a central dump and still some have a central water fill.

We usually stay for longer periods so state parks are not feasable. But we have stayed at state parks for one or 2 nights if power was not needed for the AC. They almost never have any ammenities.

Few state parks are well run anymore. They are broke. You are right that a good many public RV parks are run by control freaks. That is a fact. I hate control freaks. Our society is heading that way isn't it.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Because we don't have that option. Our rig will not fit in 99% of the state parks, and we are working full-timers who cannot deal with most of the parks 14-day rule. Not everyone falls into the "weekend" camper mold. I agree that for the average camper state parks are a great solution, but for a lot of us it is RV parks or boondocking at the Wal-mart on the way through town....

I too have used RV park reviews for several years. I think you have to learn to read between the lines. I'm kind of like the Olympic judges... I throw out the top.. throw out the bottom, and use the middle of the road posts as a true indication on the park.
I just added several reasons why state parks are not good options for full timers but you have another important one. All state parks have a 14 day limit. I know there was a time we would switch from one to the other and back again if there were 2 nice parks near eachother. What a stupid rule. I HATE RULES!!!!

Old 08-04-2009, 03:50 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVer View Post
Well state parks almost never have sewer, water or electric.
Then you're going to the wrong states. :-)

Quote:
But we have stayed at state parks for one or 2 nights if power was not needed for the AC. They almost never have any ammenities.
What do you consider an amenity? (If it's satellite TV hookups, full-service snack bars, and camp stores, I think we're definitely not on the same page about what we prefer in our camping. But that's fine!)

However, I find it frustrating, as a trailer camper (can take electric hookups or leave them), to find that every campsite guide is geared either toward (a) the hardcore wilderness tent camper or (b) the hardcore large motorhome folks who expect all the comforts of home (and may need them, if they are always on the road). I belong to neither group. It seems to me that many decades ago, most people who went camping were popup trailer folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing