U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:58 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,462,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
Please clarify what an "ice cream ball" is???

Thanks!!!
Do you remember the old hand crank ice cream makers that used to require lots of ice and rock salt? Remember how hard they were to crank? Well, someone invented a hard plastic "ball" that you could place your ingredients into, along with salt and ice, and it would basically do the same thing just from being tossed or rolled about while sitting around camp (usually by a group of people). Remember the game Hot Potato, anyone?

Here's a link for more info:
Play and Freeze Ice Cream Maker | Have an Ice Cream Ball Party with Homemade Ice Cream Recipes | Play&Freeze Gourmet Ice Cream Desert Maker

I haven't tried the ice cream ball, but do remember using the hand crank ice cream makers. The ice cream ball looks to be much more user friendly, and easier on the arms, plus it can be used to get everyone involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 06:43 PM

35,346 posts, read 32,293,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Do you remember the old hand crank ice cream makers that used to require lots of ice and rock salt? Remember how hard they were to crank? Well, someone invented a hard plastic "ball" that you could place your ingredients into, along with salt and ice, and it would basically do the same thing just from being tossed or rolled about while sitting around camp (usually by a group of people). Remember the game Hot Potato, anyone?

Play and Freeze Ice Cream Maker | Have an Ice Cream Ball Party with Homemade Ice Cream Recipes | Play&Freeze Gourmet Ice Cream Desert Maker

I haven't tried the ice cream ball, but do remember using the hand crank ice cream makers. The ice cream ball looks to be much more user friendly, and easier on the arms, plus it can be used to get everyone involved.

I dunno, the amount my young ones can pack away it would have to be the size of a medicine ball. That sounds like work

Old 09-02-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I dunno, the amount my young ones can pack away it would have to be the size of a medicine ball. That sounds like work
Think of it as "exercise!"

Old 09-03-2009, 07:41 AM

35,346 posts, read 32,293,891 times
How about we create something that attaches to the outside of the wheel

Get to the camp site and it's already made.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:27 PM

15,927 posts, read 7,189,983 times
Quote:

Thanks Jdavid!!! I've never heard of it. And yes, I remember the old hand crankers, but not as "fondly' as our kids do. One time my DH got it all ready to go one summer evening, each of our three kids kept taking turns for about an hour. Hubby checked it................and sure enough forgot the salt. Needless to say that left a bad taste in their mouth. (pun intended)

But you sure can't beat the taste of home made ice cream!

Old 09-03-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How about we create something that attaches to the outside of the wheel

Get to the camp site and it's already made.
That sounds like a good idea. Any thoughts on design?

Old 09-04-2009, 01:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,708 posts, read 40,113,239 times
Quote:
That sounds like a good idea. Any thoughts on design?
That would be a 'sealed' (double layer for ice) baby moon hubcap with a stationary paddle, not a big problem to design

I think today's speed to campsite would be a problem. (centrifugal force too high). My granddad used to jack up one wheel of the model T and stick the crank handle of the Ice cream turner through a spoke, and go sit under a shade tree. (I also found him watering his garden from the front seat of his A/C car when he was over 90 yrs old). But a lifelong farmer, who left home at age 15 to work and send money back, I will give him a break.

Maybe there are some ice cream recipes in 'Manifold Destiny'
Cooking great meals with your car engine. The heat is on. | Wise Bread
http://www.supersoda.com/detail.php?id=00000000082

Old 09-04-2009, 08:19 PM

11,943 posts, read 12,851,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
Please clarify what an "ice cream ball" is???

Thanks!!!
If we ever get to do our M & G, I'll bring mine and show you!

Old 09-05-2009, 03:14 PM

15,927 posts, read 7,189,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
If we ever get to do our M & G, I'll bring mine and show you!
From now on..............I'll let you know when we go, and you let me know when ya'll go, and hopefully we'll meet up soon!!!

Old 09-05-2009, 04:38 PM

32,681 posts, read 16,717,742 times
Default In the lightweight department...

- my battered-but-beloved Trangia alcohol stove. Simple to the point of being austere, no moving parts, maintenance-free, packs well and pretty much just works.

Trangia Kök - Trangia Stoves 25 Series UL

This is the stove you can put in the hands of 12-16 year old scouts (who can break anything) and still get back in working condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing