U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 07:39 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,562,711 times

Advertisements

I havent been in so long, but I have a bunch of cushions from long gone couches I line the tent floor with, very comfy!

I have an old battered wok that is prefect on a fire or grill, a must have for breakfast tacos

I will also second the portable fans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 03:25 PM

263 posts, read 663,434 times
3 things popped into my mind first, a good sharp hatchet, my cast iron griddle, and a coffee press. i am also fond of my sleeping bag that is good to 20 below. a leatherman pocket tool is priceless.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:38 PM

11,941 posts, read 12,832,232 times
O.K.. I have to eat some crow here. A friend of mine bought this for his wife a while back and we made so much fun of it... untill last year. We have been under a burn ban here for ever and we love to winter camp. Guess what I got for Valentines day last year! We used it all winter and had the best trips.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...campfire/34763

Last edited by Camper1; 09-14-2009 at 03:47 PM..

Old 09-15-2009, 12:01 AM

3,040 posts, read 10,447,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebreadlady View Post
3 things popped into my mind first, a good sharp hatchet, my cast iron griddle, and a coffee press. i am also fond of my sleeping bag that is good to 20 below. a leatherman pocket tool is priceless.
All excellent choices. The Leatherman is almost indispensable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
O.K.. I have to eat some crow here. A friend of mine bought this for his wife a while back and we made so much fun of it... untill last year. We have been under a burn ban here for ever and we love to winter camp. Guess what I got for Valentines day last year! We used it all winter and had the best trips.

Little Red Portable Campfire - Item - Camping World
Wow, I've heard of those things (and even seen them online), but never from anyone that's owned one. I'm glad to hear you like it. I probably would not have thought about having one, only because I think the idea is somewhat silly, but after hearing what you have to say about it, I may have to reconsider my thinking. I'm not too much of a "campfire" person, so it probably wouldn't serve me well, but if it's so easy to set up, I could change a bit. It sure looks like s'mores or toasted marshmallows in the back yard would be very easy to do with it.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
All excellent choices. The Leatherman is almost indispensable.

Wow, I've heard of those things (and even seen them online), but never from anyone that's owned one. I'm glad to hear you like it. I probably would not have thought about having one, only because I think the idea is somewhat silly, but after hearing what you have to say about it, I may have to reconsider my thinking. I'm not too much of a "campfire" person, so it probably wouldn't serve me well, but if it's so easy to set up, I could change a bit. It sure looks like s'mores or toasted marshmallows in the back yard would be very easy to do with it.
I was really surprised at how much warmth it puts out. There were 6 adults ( 4 that tent camp) on the first trip and it was freezing and raining on Valentines day at Bastrop state park. We put up the e z up , added 3 side panels, one little red fire pit and instant cozy. A 20 lb tank lasted all weekend burning almost 24 hours a day. It was used as much for warmth as looks. The park ranger even came over and told us we had to put out the fire until he saw what it was. He took all the information so he could get one!

Watch for it to go on sale...

Old 09-27-2009, 07:34 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,575,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Mine is an item which I recently saw (inexplicably) poorly reviewed in a camping guide. It's a battery powered, tennis racket style bug zapper. Whoever was reviewing this item clearly didn't know what it was for: it's to quickly remove (er, kill) mosquitoes and other insects from inside small enclosed spaces (like tents, screen rooms, etc). Very effective. And chemical free.

The reviewer apparently thought you were supposed to use it outside in your campground - flailing away at bugs all night. No... but it sure clears out a tent in 60 seconds!

(personally, I don't like using it myself, but my dad just loves it. I enjoy the effect it has on making tents insect-free, however.)
OMG, my friends just got one of these at Ocean State Job Lot (don't know if that is a nat'l chain or not). The thing is great! I want to buy one for the house!

My absolute favorite item to bring camping is my Zero Gravity recliner. Once you sit down next to the campfire in one of those you will never want another chair. They're a little heavy, though.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:35 PM

15,926 posts, read 7,179,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
OMG, my friends just got one of these at Ocean State Job Lot (don't know if that is a nat'l chain or not). The thing is great! I want to buy one for the house!

My absolute favorite item to bring camping is my Zero Gravity recliner. Once you sit down next to the campfire in one of those you will never want another chair. They're a little heavy, though.
I just googled that recliner mommy!!! Suweet!!!! I know what I'm asking for Christmas!!!

And Camper, that fire ring sure looks good. Thank goodness we've had rain, so hopefully we'll be able to have the real deal this winter!!!

Old 09-27-2009, 11:06 PM

39,472 posts, read 40,779,124 times
When we used to do our 8 day canoe trips undoubtedly this chair topped the list as favorite piece of equipment.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:34 PM

15,926 posts, read 7,179,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When we used to do our 8 day canoe trips undoubtedly this chair topped the list as favorite piece of equipment.

Too cool coalman!!! We used to do the same thing many years ago when our kids were younger, and we camped with no facilities!!!

Good times!!!

Old 09-28-2009, 04:50 PM

OMG! Are you serious?? What a smart idea!!!!I would never have thought of that. Gotta show hubby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing