U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:35 PM

6,076 posts, read 11,021,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
My Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone backpack. Most comfortable backpack I have ever owned.
Damb, thats a mouth full , did you have to spell check it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 03:13 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,478,898 times
Default Granite Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
My Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone backpack. Most comfortable backpack I have ever owned.
Mine would be my Granite Gear Vapor Ki lightweight backpack! The most comfortable backpack I have ever had.

Looks like Granite Gear is doing something right!

Old 12-05-2009, 09:25 PM

4,089 posts, read 4,721,933 times
Zodi water heater and my Petzl headlamp.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:32 PM

4,089 posts, read 4,721,933 times
For you guys out west, you know that even during the summer it can get cold at high altitudes. When I camped in the back of the truck, I got tired of the cold metal truck bed. I bought a piece of 2" foil faced foam insulation and cut to fit. Topped it with a piece of outdoor carpet. We would just pitch a tarp over the bed and that was our tent. That piece of foam was one of my favorite items until we got the RV.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:51 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,452,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
For you guys out west, you know that even during the summer it can get cold at high altitudes. When I camped in the back of the truck, I got tired of the cold metal truck bed. I bought a piece of 2" foil faced foam insulation and cut to fit. Topped it with a piece of outdoor carpet. We would just pitch a tarp over the bed and that was our tent. That piece of foam was one of my favorite items until we got the RV.
That's a darn good idea. I certainly don't think I would have thought of it. It also adds some cushion, and with a small pad, would probably be pretty comfortable.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:55 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,771,469 times
Quote:
My Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone backpack.
I have one of these! But never followed through on my dreams of backpacking. (heel spur, etc.). But maybe you have inspired me! So I don't need an ultralight pack after all. I could change my name to creeksleeper.

One of my favorite items is a big agnes inflatable pad. I never could camp on a thin self inflating pad, the dimestore plastic ones would inevitably deflate.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:21 AM

414 posts, read 887,806 times
I'm pretty happy with a nice, small, one-piece stainless steel hatchet. Can be used to pound stakes in, cut firewood, and chase off drunk frat-partiers

Old 04-09-2010, 02:13 PM

817 posts, read 1,953,870 times
Well, I've been wanting that Cabelas' Deluxe Camper's Kitchen since I first saw this thread last year and read the reviews on it at Cabelas website. I was too cheap to pay $180 for it, but finally got it on sale last week for $50 off. It's a little bulky, but very handy! (and still on sale, as of today). I can also use it in our cabin during deer season, since it has no sink or counter in it yet.

I have to say though, my new Cabelas Shower Shelter beats it as my new favorite piece of camping equipment (also $50 off). We camped on Easter weekend in the National Forest and it must've been close to 80 degrees on Saturday. That shower was like heaven. The shelter is so roomy, I could've fit my husband and the dog in there with me too and it's quick and easy to set up. The solar shower bag doesn't work that great, mainly because it hangs too low, so I bought the Zodi shower pump that you drop in a 5 gallon bucket. Should be able to use that at home too, during power outages.

Everything has to have a dual purpose before I can bring myself to spend money on it.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:45 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,452,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Well, I've been wanting that Cabelas' Deluxe Camper's Kitchen since I first saw this thread last year and read the reviews on it at Cabelas website. I was too cheap to pay $180 for it, but finally got it on sale last week for $50 off. It's a little bulky, but very handy! (and still on sale, as of today). I can also use it in our cabin during deer season, since it has no sink or counter in it yet.

I have to say though, my new Cabelas Shower Shelter beats it as my new favorite piece of camping equipment (also $50 off). We camped on Easter weekend in the National Forest and it must've been close to 80 degrees on Saturday. That shower was like heaven. The shelter is so roomy, I could've fit my husband and the dog in there with me too and it's quick and easy to set up. The solar shower bag doesn't work that great, mainly because it hangs too low, so I bought the Zodi shower pump that you drop in a 5 gallon bucket. Should be able to use that at home too, during power outages.

Everything has to have a dual purpose before I can bring myself to spend money on it.
I saw your campsite picture on the open chat thread. Very nice. I'm sure other campers are jealous when they see your campsite all set up. I use a very similar setup, though I have a smaller, cheaper, shower enclosure. I also use it with a porta-potti, so I keep it a lot further away from my tent. I haven't yet invested in a shower pump/heater, so I'm still using the solar shower bags in mine. It's a little extra work to shower with, but it sure beats not having a shower at all.

I'm not crazy about the "sink" in the camp kitchen, though it's a lot better than nothing at all. Mostly, I wish it had a better, larger drain than what it comes with. I actually have plans to use a plastic tub instead, though I haven't tried it yet. Perhaps I'll just find one that fits inside the existing sink, and I'll pull it out to empty it. Two tubs would be even better, since one could be for washing and the other for rinsing. I also just picked up a 7 gallon water jug with a valve on it that I'm hoping to place in my kitchen for "running water." I'm not quite sure yet where I'll place it in the kitchen, since it will be quite heavy once it's filled.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:19 PM

817 posts, read 1,953,870 times
I'm not crazy about the sink either. I use 2 small dish pans to wash dishes. I'm thinking about using the shower bag to rinse them though, if I can get it to hang ok on the lantern hook. I think I saw someone mention in the Cabelas reviews that they replaced that sink drain hose with something better, but can't remember what now, or if that's actually where I saw it mentioned (getting CRS in my old age).

I have a 7 gallon water jug too. I leave it on its side on the tailgate. Too heavy for the kitchen, I think. When I tried to boil 12 qts. of shower water on the camp stove, the counter top bowed, so I took it off right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing