U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 12:18 AM

3,040 posts, read 10,456,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
I'm not crazy about the sink either. I use 2 small dish pans to wash dishes. I'm thinking about using the shower bag to rinse them though, if I can get it to hang ok on the lantern hook. I think I saw someone mention in the Cabelas reviews that they replaced that sink drain hose with something better, but can't remember what now, or if that's actually where I saw it mentioned (getting CRS in my old age).

I have a 7 gallon water jug too. I leave it on its side on the tailgate. Too heavy for the kitchen, I think. When I tried to boil 12 qts. of shower water on the camp stove, the counter top bowed, so I took it off right away.
Until now, I never really gave much thought to the weight limit of the shelves on the camp kitchen. I guess I'll have to come up with something else to put the water jug on, so it doesn't overload the shelves. I thought about the solar shower on the lantern hook idea, too, but they didn't look strong enough to me. I'll have to keep a look out for something else that would work well instead.

I have a Camp Chef 3 burner camp stove that is free standing, so I set it up next to my camp kitchen. I also have a folding table that I use as well, so I sometimes use that to enclose my cooking area into a "U" shaped kitchen. That provides me with a lot of room to prepare meals and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 07:35 AM

817 posts, read 1,954,857 times
A piece of plywood that covered the whole top might make it strong enough (they could've used an extra support bar in the middle), but I don't really want to carry plywood. My truck is getting pretty full. I have one of those Lifetime folding tables that's plenty strong, but takes up a lot of room. I was hoping the kitchen counter tops would replace it.

I probably just need a cargo trailer to pull behind the truck. Then I wouldn't have to unpack most of the stuff and we could haul the snowmobile or 4 wheeler around in it too.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:27 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,456,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
A piece of plywood that covered the whole top might make it strong enough (they could've used an extra support bar in the middle), but I don't really want to carry plywood. My truck is getting pretty full. I have one of those Lifetime folding tables that's plenty strong, but takes up a lot of room. I was hoping the kitchen counter tops would replace it.

I probably just need a cargo trailer to pull behind the truck. Then I wouldn't have to unpack most of the stuff and we could haul the snowmobile or 4 wheeler around in it too.
I've thought about getting a small trailer to haul my gear in, too. Like you, I would just leave it packed in the trailer until I hauled it to a place to camp. That's when everything would come out to be set up. It would actually make a nice arrangement if all I needed to do was to hitch the trailer to the truck and be on my way.

The link below shows one of the trailers I have considered:
http://www.companiontrailers.com/ima..._6_trailer.gif

Old 04-16-2010, 09:31 AM

817 posts, read 1,954,857 times
That's pretty nice. I'm thinking about a cargo trailer conversion, so we could sleep in it if we didn't want to set up the tent, but could also use it as a garage for the snowmobile and some other stuff in winter. Something like these, but with everything easily removable:

Camping Travel Trailer Conversion. Homemade Camp Trailers. Do it yourself Trailers. Cargo Conversions.

2004 Cargomate 16X7 enclosed hauler

Old 02-25-2011, 03:19 PM

1,458 posts, read 5,271,258 times
Probably the most bang for the buck was the cargo trailer conversion we did a few years ago.

Light weight, stored a lot of stuff, comfortable, and ready to sleep in immediately at any parking lot or rest area on the way if a quick hour nap was needed.

We could sleep in it.

It also stored tent gear and supplies for up to 8 people. Heat. Dry.

There's quite a bit online if you search cargo trailer conversion or cargo trailer camping There is sort of a trend beginning these days in the same way people fixing old vans led to the custom vans of more recent years.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,688 posts, read 40,050,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Probably the most bang for the buck was the cargo trailer conversion we did a few years ago.
very nice, How do you keep from getting 'locked-inside' and being towed to Mexico?

Do you still use it as a Utility Trailer?

I still have the idea of making different 'campers' from 20ft cargo containers and just grabbing the one I want, throwing it on the back of my Mack 56,000# 3 axle truck, and heading out. I would like one for camping and others for 'woodshop', Machine shop, roach coach / BIG camp kitchen... Since I don't want a personal house, this will keep my taxes down. (and I can 'stack them' and haul them around the world if need be)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing