U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 05:29 AM

21,093 posts, read 23,895,889 times

Advertisements

My sister-n-law and her husband bought a big honkin' coach 3 years ago. Besides having spent $120K on it and can sell it for $60K today, it has been one repair after another. It is way too BIG to get in and out of resturants, fuel stations, and even most campgrounds (it's 40+ feet).
They would love to do 5er, but until they sell the coach..
My wife and I are moving into a 5er next week. It is a used unit but we know that as long as thetires are holding air, we can be on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 01:20 AM

4,100 posts, read 6,142,043 times
I have both a Class A 30' Motor Home and a 5th Wheel Trailer. I would never again waste my money on a Motor Home. The 5th Wheel is what we use, it is easier to maneuver around in a campground and is much easier to drive a pickup down the road than a Motor Home. I must say a tent is the last thing i would use unless I was in a hunting party of several hunters. I wouldn't use a tent for cross country camping, bears like to eat whatever is in a tent, and it might be you.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:46 AM

We could stay in a motel for about the same price as a campground (motel may be cheaper sometimes!) and the fuel we'd save using a gas vehicle that averages 25 mpg vs. diesel that averages 14 mpg towing---but having the trailer in a campground is much better than a stuffy motel room any day....

Old 03-12-2011, 12:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
We could stay in a motel for about the same price as a campground ...and the fuel we'd save using a gas vehicle that averages 25 mpg vs. diesel that averages 14 mpg towing---...
My Class C RV gets 20 mpg (gas), but I have 3 other configurations of Diesel 'mini-RVs' that get 46 - 52 mpg (WVO grease-burners too). Finding the right ethnic restaurants (they have the freshest fryer grease)= ZERO fuel costs. If I need extra space, I head for a sunshine area, or find a fancy hotel lobby, lodge, or library. My overnight sites are usually $10 - $20 if they are not free (preferred). Food is $5 / day if I splurge. Gobs of money is not required to RV.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:05 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,985,315 times
I'm not an RV owner but I go to the shows and wonder why people would want to basically bring an entire mini-house with them on the road. I'm talking about the $180,000 megabuses with Martha Stewart decor. To each his own taste! But just because these vehicles are being manufactured and offered for sale doesn't mean they're in any way practical... even for people who THINK they want to get into the year-round RV-ing lifestyle. They are McMansions on wheels...

Also, there's nothing quite so depressing (and ugly) as an unsaleable megabus RV that's only five years old, with dated decor, and stinks like food inside. Take a stroll down the "used RV's" row at your local RV show and you'll get an eyeful.

That said, I have an A-liner trailer (hard bodied popup) and just bought a used camper van (a Sportmobile) so, the tent campers can look down their noses at me too. I guess I would just ask folks: when you normally travel across the country on a road trip with a car, think about the kinds of hotels/motels you usually stay in. What do you really need at night or during the day? A sleeping space, a commode, a shower, a roomy table to eat at? That's probably all the average motel room offers you, and yet travelers do just fine with that when they make their overnight stops. So why would you want to bring a 5-star hotel suite on the road with you? For a very few people, that might be practical and affordable, but probably not for the majority of us - you have to maintain it like you maintain a yacht, and there's a reason only rich people have yachts.

Part of my POV probably comes from the fact that I camp exclusively in the East. Where it rains quite a bit (making outdoor-mounted flatscreen TV's impractical!) and campground spaces are smaller. I honestly don't see too many of those megahogs in the campgrounds I go to - 5th wheelers sure, but not the huge motor homes.

Just my opinion... respectfully submitted!

Last edited by Jeromeville; 03-13-2011 at 10:14 AM..

Old 03-13-2011, 09:58 PM

9,416 posts, read 17,382,101 times
Heck, $180K doesn't get you anywhere near the top when talking about the big ones. And why not? If I could retire with several million and wanted to travel full-time, why give up the luxury that I'd had in the stix-n-brix house?

It IS their mini-home, and even the most expensive is cheaper than a modest 2nd home on Lake Tahoe.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:00 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,028,611 times
I think many or the replies in this thread were made by people that just don’t have any experience in many various types of RV’s especially the big honkin’ land yachts or whatever you want to call them, and as WyoNewk as stated 180K is nothing for a large class A coach. As I type this I am sitting at Fort Wilderness Resort at Disney and a few lots down from me is sitting a 2011 Prevost. The MSRP on that coach is somewhere around 1.7 million dollars. And that is just one of several coaches sitting in the campground right now that cost in the 7 figure range. Crazy money yeah but if that is what you want and you can afford it why not….

I am 51 years old and I have camped/RV’ed my whole life as it was something my parents did when I was growing up and it was an activity I continued throughout my adult life with my children. Now during that time I have camped in nothing more than just a sleeping bag on the ground with no type of cover, to small one man tents up to tents so large I think I could of held a circus inside of them...From there it was various types of travel trailers and/or drivable RV’s and I progressively moved up to bigger and more comfortable RV’s but each type of camping/RV'ing left me with a bunch of great stories and memories.

The wife and I were blessed to see our children grow up and go off on their own and were able to retire at an early age. Our first goal was to continue to travel the country and see the sites and we have done just that over the past year or so and have met some great new friends along the way. I am now a full time RV’er which means that my RV is my home. It’s not something I use on a weekend to go to the local campground in and then pack away for a month or two until I have another free weekend but is something I live in 24/7 365 days a year.

So since my RV is my home I wanted it to be as comfortable as my stick and brick home and for me that meant it has to be set up for residential living just like a normal residential home, which means I wanted all of the comforts of home like residential furniture and a residential refrigerator along with other residential appliances and higher end accessories. You can normally only find these options in the larger high end class A coaches so that is what I now own.

What type of RV you own or what type of camping you do is all based on each ones individual preference at a particular time. So there is no wrong or right way as long as you are doing what you enjoy. Remember folks you only get one turn in life and you dont get a do over. So the people complaining about the cost or RV'ing compared to a hotel stay or the price of gas or just the basic type of one RV to another really means nothing because at the end of the day all you have to look back on is the memories, so just go out and make some and everything else will take care of itself

Last edited by rtandc; 03-14-2011 at 09:29 AM..

Old 03-16-2011, 01:56 PM

5,481 posts, read 10,395,113 times
The best part of camping is the TYPE of time spent as a family. No TV's, computers or crackberrys; lots of hiking, swimming and sitting around the campfire. Most of the campsites are scenic or within short distance of scenic surroundings. No waking up with the vista of a parking lot and strip mall "nirvana".

We started tent camping, but I did not sleep well on the ground and did not like the lack of space in our tent when it rained. So we bought a pop-up. It gives us comfortable, level sleeping spaces and enough room to comfortably read or play games if it rains. The cassette toilet works fine and if someone needs to use it as a "reading room" a bathroom or latrine is always close by. The pop-up is easily towed with our mini-van which is important to us since we are not SUV or pick up types(at least not now). The only draw back is having to live out of containers.
The next evolution would be a "Hi-Lo", which is similar to a travel trailer but can be towed by a mini-van. Only drawback is they are more $ than a comparably priced travel trailer.
Wife likes the openess of the pop-up, I would like the ability to load a travel trailer once per trip and not have to shuffle bins. The pop-up satisfies our needs, the travel trailer would better suit my wants.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
The best part of camping is the TYPE of time spent as a family. No TV's, computers or crackberrys; lots of hiking, swimming and sitting around the campfire. Most of the campsites are scenic or within short distance of scenic surroundings. No waking up with the vista of a parking lot and strip mall "nirvana".

priceless.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:50 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,028,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
That is true, that is what most people "think" camping or RV'ing is all about but when you get out and start meeting people on the road and ask them where they are going you will soon find out that people use their RV's for many other things besides setting up next a bubbling creek in the woods somewhere.

We have friends that do nothing but follow the NASCAR circuit every year, we met a couple recently that their goal was to catch a ball game at every pro baseball stadium, have met others that use their RV to travel the country to participate in various Dog shows. Heck we even have friends that use their RV to do nothing but visit different wineries across the country. Others use their RV as a home base for business as they travel from city to city. Personally our long term goal is to visit every National Park during our travels. So everyone’s idea of how they want to use their RV is different.

Last edited by rtandc; 03-17-2011 at 06:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing