U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 05:14 AM

5,822 posts, read 13,312,141 times

Advertisements

Rving is a much nicer way to travel for us. Frequent fliers @ 75K miles before retirement and swore we wouldn't fly again unless emergency. We have everything we need with us, able to have breakfast in your pj's, lunch and dinner without restaurant costs and don't worry about bed bugs. Flying is not only a hassle, it has become uncomfortable, packed in like sardines and sitting on cardboard. Ugh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 10:48 AM

817 posts, read 1,951,897 times
Not to mention the TSA groping.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
All good points, and each person has different needs.

I'll stick with my combination solution.

20 mpg motorhome and 'stealth campsites' Free Campgrounds for RVs

OR
52 mpg cars + $10 / night guest houses (been doing it worldwide for 25+ yrs)

OR
42 mpg cars + SMALL camping trailer (combo utility trailer, w outdoor shower / campbox)

OR
Fly-Drive. I did 5,000 miles via air and 7,500 miles via rental cars in May alone.

Can't beat the cost of my last week ...
$70 air fare one way ($140 and 4 hrs total for 2,400 mile equivalent drive ... that would be $1,000+ and 5 days in a MH )
$4.95 / day (Hotwire) for a rental car that got 38 mpg (I put 2500 miles on that one, I did have a flat (low) tire that I fixed for $3(tubeless-plug))
6 nights @ $10 / night guesthomes (8 free meals).
< $20 out of pocket food costs for 7 days and 6 nights (I spent most of one $20 bill on food and entertainment... 'Happy Hour' at Sonic Drive-in )

I saw a lot and want to go again soon !! America's Byways®: National Scenic Byways Online

Happy Trails, HOWEVER you travel !

btw Not to mention the TSA groping. 3 times in one month pulled out of line and groped... I'm not impressed, wait till I start wearing a niqāb or turban, then I can claim "PROFILING" and bypass such hassles!

Old 06-15-2011, 06:00 PM

Yeah, they sent my husband through the x-ray machine and then groped him anyway. Guess they liked what they saw.

$10 a night guest houses, huh? How does one go about finding those?

Old 06-15-2011, 06:20 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,852,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post

This. tia.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Quote:
Yeah, they sent my husband through the x-ray machine and then groped him anyway. ...

yes, that is the SOP, through the x-ray full body scanner, then to groping. What a gig.... I hassled a TSA for offering his boss the 'free' sodas they pulled out of a bag. The Boss got in my face protecting the dishonest employee.

today soda, tomorrow diamond necklaces... tsa

RE: guest homes... several directories out there, our first was for home schoolers, then a church based (non-denominational), ... I will PM you for specifics, of course there is Couch Surfing

Each stay has been very rich in relationship and hospitality. I have gained greatly from the stays. I've been known to hang around and help with projects or needs. One recent widow got her new house painted and free help moving in!! I enjoyed a great stay and the satisfaction that my trip meant more the being on the run.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:00 PM

Cool stuff, thanks.

I put a down payment on a Carriage fifth wheel today, so (barring any attempt by the dealer to alter the terms of our agreement), I should be in my own pillow-top queen bed by the end of the month. Don't know which one to feel.

It's scary, parting with money in this economy (if you're not a polly). Half of me said "don't be a fool!!" and the other half said "hurry up and do it before the b@$t@rds make us all poor for life!!".

Old 06-17-2011, 06:27 PM

11,941 posts, read 12,829,761 times
Quote:
Cool stuff, thanks.

I put a down payment on a Carriage fifth wheel today, so (barring any attempt by the dealer to alter the terms of our agreement), I should be in my own pillow-top queen bed by the end of the month. Don't know which one to feel.

It's scary, parting with money in this economy (if you're not a polly). Half of me said "don't be a fool!!" and the other half said "hurry up and do it before the b@$t@rds make us all poor for life!!".
Congratulations!!

Old 06-17-2011, 07:18 PM

Thank you. This is just like having a boat, right (a hole in the water that you throw money into)?

I spent today figuring out which adapters, hoses, regulator, etc. I want and made a list of the stuff we'll need right away. The list is about $2000 long already! Tires are #1... the previous owner was pulling it around on Chinese tire bombs and they don't look too healthy.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:04 AM

11,941 posts, read 12,829,761 times
It might come with some of that stuff, I'd hold off buying until I know for sure. The rest is called a Christmas List in our house.

The big difference between a boat (we have a jet ski) and an RV is you can use the RV all year, in any kind of weather. Were as the boat, you need water...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing