U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 04:36 PM

3 posts, read 4,874 times

Advertisements

Additionally, our specific uses for a rv will be to temporaritly live in while our old home is bull dozed and a new home built on its spot. Then eventually trade in the "new" 32 foot travel trailer we got an excellent deal on, for a 5th wheel trailer to live down south in as a Canadian snowbirder does. My aunt has been doing this for 34 years, New port Richie Fl to southern Ontario every winter. We will be living in these new 5th wheel residential units and look forward to it. Just returned from the Toronto international RV show and looked at the new 2014 5th wheel models, options include heat pumps, as well as furnaces, Industry names change no standard but they call some "Polar packages" or 4 season packages or winter packages, either way these new units are literally a home. Put the 650 Burgman on the back and go when ever we desire. My property taxes for this year are $2700 that should pay for the fuel bill both ways to and from Canada. seasonal yearly lot here we are now paying is $1900/yr plus hydro which last year was $37 first half and 45 last half of the season. Get some solar panels and utilise the rv battery plus a couple more, then the hydro is off set some.

Its all in what your intended use is for. I know at 70 years old, I dont' want to look after a old house.

Regards, M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 05:08 PM

28,496 posts, read 62,152,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moldy20 View Post
Additionally...
You just replied to a post begun in 2009 and not opened since 2011.

Apparently, the moderators of the Forums believe this should be encouraged.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:33 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,536,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Apparently, the moderators of the Forums believe this should be encouraged.
Mods absolutely encourage users to search before posting, which moldy obviously did to bring up an older thread like that. So good for Moldy, and for the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldy20 View Post
Its all in what your intended use is for. I know at 70 years old, I dont' want to look after a old house.
Good for you there too. I agree, it depends on what you got and how you use it. I have a fam of 4 (kids age 1 and 3) and our old 23' Class C gem is possibly the best $6k I ever spent. It's also well worth the ~ $1k I put into it per year for maintenance, storage and registration.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:52 PM

73 posts, read 63,579 times
If you have a trailer that you pull, you can visit any city. Even New York City has RV parks within 20 miles like in New Jersey. No, you cannot park a trailer in NYC but you can unhitch in a park and drive to Manhattan in less than 30 minutes (non rush hour).

Old 06-04-2014, 09:12 AM

5,626 posts, read 5,068,696 times
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Tent camping but grew up RVing. It has its perks- much easier to set up than tent and less time consuming but there is just something about a tent that is awesome.

I would love to buy an RV (used on craigslist most likely).

Old 06-07-2014, 12:24 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,209,546 times
this thread ought to be pinned

Old 09-19-2014, 02:43 AM

73 posts, read 149,148 times
OK, so this is an old thread but there are probably lots of folks considering an RV and wondering the same thing that original poster asked.

RVing can be expensive but it can also be a very inexpensive way to travel or just spend a nice vacation close to home.

When we were working we spent a lot of money on RV's and RV resorts. I don't even want to think about how much we lost by buying the new Class C, Class A, and fifth wheel and dually. But we did enjoy them all. And there are RV resorts that are over $100 a night.

After we retired we bought a new hybrid trailer and Nissan Pick-up to pull it. The pick-up is also our second vehicle that we'd need anyway. The camper we wanted was $22,000 but we ordered it from a dealer we found out of state for only $14,500. So, not a lot of money invested at all.

I'm over 65 so I get half price at the Florida State Park campgrounds. That means around $13 a night. You just can't beat that price and Florida has some really wonderful State Parks.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:57 PM

7,201 posts, read 11,897,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTales View Post
When we were working we spent a lot of money on RV's and RV resorts. I don't even want to think about how much we lost by buying the new Class C, Class A, and fifth wheel and dually. But we did enjoy them all. And there are RV resorts that are over $100 a night.

Those places for over $100 a night are easily avoided. We spend from $10 a night at COEs with our Senior Pass to $30 a night in decent campgrounds. With Passport America it's half price at participating CGs and Resorts. When on the road we spend free nights at WalMart lots.

The place we're spending the winter in FL is less than $400 a month.

We like the COEs as they're not only half price but the sites are wooded and spacious. Too many private Resorts and CGs pack you in like sardines in a can.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:12 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,198,642 times
The toll fares and attitude of certain people. Sure ours was only 2 axles and we weren't trying to get out of paying but to have someone pointing and angrily saying, "$25.00 for that!" Whatever

Old 11-03-2014, 08:22 PM

4,100 posts, read 6,144,871 times
Everyone has an opinion about RVing. It would be interesting to know what the OP does for enjoyment on the weekends when he isn't working. Just about ever recreational thing you can do or think of is expensive. Golfing comes to mind, I don't know what a round of golf would cost these days, but wouldn't it be a lot less expensive to just rent a farmers field for the afternoon and knock a ball around? RVing is as expensive as you make it. I just bought a 22' travel trailer that was gutted for $300. Where I live it is no longer considered an RV so licensing is almost nothing, no license required if it weighs less than 1800 pounds. I bought the trailer to use as portable storage, but you could use it for camping, it would beat a tent hands down if it was raining. You could put a cot in it and sleep in it, or put a stove in it and cook in it, or put a folding table and chairs and play poker. Wouldn't be expensive at all if you used it on National Forest property where there is no over night charge. Yep, you would give up some luxury, but if your're a cheap skate that wouldn't matter because you would be saving money...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing