U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,336 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know this is an old thread, but it has some important info. Mind if I summarize a bit?
This thread helped me to decide on getting a travel trailer.
I am retired and would 'camp' about once a month for 3 days to a week. My wife won't retire for 7 years, but gets lost of vacation so we will be going to the 4 corners area for 2 weeks in the spring. I have 7 days a week to do things. We are considering a smaller trailer, not a gigantic one - 26 foot travel trailer. We live in the country so have plenty of room to park the trailer. But, I may rent a yearly spot on Lake Superior and haul it from there.
I have 2 dogs and a parrot - I need to spend $30 to $40 a day for house sitting if I don't take them with me - Neighbors will take care of the donkeys and llamas for free. If I took the dogs and parrot with I would save that much a day.
We are photographers, plus I fish and hunt.
My car gets 25 mpg, put can't pull a trailer of this size. So I would get a truck that gets 17mpg without towing and 10mpg when towing. I have priced used ones and can easily get one that is affordable since most people don't want the low mpg.
We thought about doing the hotel/motel route as others have stated. But, we were swayed away because of the following reasons. Bugs. Sleeping in a room with questionable cleaning. The cost for the room. The cost of eating out every day. The fact that restaurant food is way too greasy. Usually there are no hotels where we want to be. When there are they are very expensive and still far away from our preferred location. Early February I am going to the Sax-Zim bog for owl photos. Hotel cost alone will be $720 for 4 nights. Believe it or not, my math shows that if you stay at a location with an RV for a couple days or more, gas costs are easily outpaced by the cost of food and lodging in a hotel. Plus, in hotels if they even allow pets, people with pets are always put in smoking rooms. Yuck.
In the past we have camped in a tent and a tent trailer. We loved it. But both gave us no security and less comfort than our old bodies require after rough hiking through the wilds. Animals could get into tents and tent campers as easily as people - Read that as thieves. We could leave nothing of value in them. We didn't even feel safe leaving a flashlight behind. The wind and cold and heat and rain got less and less comfortable as we got older. Cooking got to be chore since we mostly had to do it outside - Often at the same time as the mosquitoes come out. Plus the packing and unpacking was a pita. And, we never wanted to move to another spot because it was too much of a pita to pack up and unpack the tent, etc., to stay only a day.
A travel trailer can be set up with clothes, cooking stuff, etc., so we could leave at a moments notice. They even have refrigerators, so no more dealing with coolers - And the wet food and leaks. They are easier to load food and special equipment into. Plus I can actually bring my dogs and even the parrot. Plus, heat. AC. Nice beds. My pillow. Can close the windows if there are loud campers at the site. A lot of pluses. More upkeep than a tent, but the pluses outweigh the minuses.
My main problem is the conspicuous consummation - Hauling a home around. But, I really think it is all balanced out by convenience and cost.
Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread. Dogs rule!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 08:35 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,775,378 times
Just a follow-up. I have owned two TTs and am on our 2nd MH. MH/TT, becomes a choice. We like our Class C 31' unit. Paid $16K for it. Dogs ride in the unit with us, have plenty of room to spread out. We tow my minivan on a tow dolly.

I don't have to unhitch, etc. go from the cab right into the living area. Have a full queen size bed, open bath area, more storage than a TT.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:24 AM

1,080 posts, read 801,940 times
I just bought a class B.
pro's
waking up on the beach to a beautiful sun rise
being mobile
no more mortgage payments and being a slave to the DEBT system
cheaper insurance
you can be as frugal or expensive as you want
you can take different jobs and see the country
and I can take my house to work with me so i'm always home

CONS
shorter showers
no washer and dryer
if your camping in an rv in an urban neighborhood the neighbors might call the cops while telling them that your spying on the neighborhood

Old 01-22-2015, 04:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
I just bought a class B.
CONS
no washer and dryer
I have seen stack unit w/d placed in a Rialta (model FH with the double bed) Sits to the side.
(class C, but near same size as a B (fits in std parking spot, low clearance <9ft high)
Welcome - Rialta Heaven - VW Eurovan Rialta Campers and Other Earth Friendly RVs

LOVE my outdoor shower! (Have an indoor one too)

Can buy a used Rialta for ~$12,000; 16-20 mpg

Luv that HUGE picture window... Back up to the beach and enjoy it!

Old 01-22-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I have seen stack unit w/d placed in a Rialta (model FH with the double bed) Sits to the side.
(class C, but near same size as a B (fits in std parking spot, low clearance <9ft high)
Welcome - Rialta Heaven - VW Eurovan Rialta Campers and Other Earth Friendly RVs

LOVE my outdoor shower! (Have an indoor one too)

Can buy a used Rialta for ~$12,000; 16-20 mpg

Luv that HUGE picture window... Back up to the beach and enjoy it!
I just bought a roadtrek etrek no room for a washer and dryer . I do like the rialita to!! I have a full bath with an indoor shower if the rv didn't have a bathroom that would have been the deal breaker for me LOL!! I think coleman makes and outdoor shower that's solar heated as well as a propane water heater to not sure if they still make the water heater though. I love looking out the windshield in the morning and seeing the ocean. i'm hoping to go upto alaska this summer!!

Old 01-22-2015, 10:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Quote:
I just bought a roadtrek etrek no room for a washer and dryer . I do like the rialita to!! I have a full bath with an indoor shower if the rv didn't have a bathroom that would have been the deal breaker for me LOL!! I think coleman makes and outdoor shower ... I love looking out the windshield in the morning and seeing the ocean. i'm hoping to go upto alaska this summer!!
My outdoor shower uses an engine coolant exchanger. Hot water for shower, cocoa in about 10 min of driving. Eurovan westy has as well (Motoraide). I am adding them to my 52 MPG Passat Wagons (very mini- motorhomes!) I am making up a 'pop-up teardrop' version slide-in in camper for my Snow Bear utility trailer. Then I will have a 44 MPG motorhome to accompany my 20 mpg Rialta.

My mom had a Roadtrek 190 for MANY yrs (while also having a very nice Class A) She found she used and enjoyed her RT, far more than the Class A. She got it a a garage sale for $13k, it was sweet and under 50k miles.

bbells... you can 'guest home' with pets ($20/ night). Profile of each host lists their pet rules. You can also usually park your RV for free. Food, fun, local information / contacts, and price cannot be beat!

I use my $35) 50 mpg 'waste cooking oil powered grease-car', $10 - $20 / night guest home, and eat on ~$3/ day (And I have a blast and am well fed). Feel like the "Piped Piper" with exhaust that smells like donuts and a herd of people salivating as I drive past them !

Old 05-19-2015, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,950 times
I am considering buying a camper for these reasons...

I have a small dog and nearly all nicer hotels does not take pets. Traveling 900 miles to see my son is almost impossible for my wife and I to go together because of the dog. This is a reasonable alternative for me. The cost savings at the motels/hotels, and the ability to cook your own food instead of eating at restaurants are great; but I see those cost savings as mute as additional cost of the camper wouldn't offset the cost. I could stay a lot of nights in hotel with a camper costing $10,000. So if one is thinking that is a cost savings by owning one, I think they would be mistaken.

The pros of owning one though makes it worth while for me. Sleeping in my own bed, showering in my shower, using my own toilet is a big advantage and the campers today are very cozy and comfortable. I can bring my pet with no worries and cook my own meals. I can stay within minutes of scenic locations in most cases and keep my personal things inside without having to pack or unpack. It is less about saving the money and more about comfort and convenience.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 3,185 times
Default agree

I agree with your post! We bought a used 5th wheel 26 foot, with the truck to pull it as a set almost 2 years ago and now selling them both. We had a cement a 'pad' poured in on the side of our house to store it, and installed a new fence. Those were the extra expenditures besides the purchase price. After breaking down twice on the road.. we decided the frustration of these breakdowns does not outweigh the enjoyment. For us, it's a pain to even find a gas station that we could easily pull in and out of. The cost of gas, the stress pulling this on the highway, etc, is not worth it. We did like having our own 'bed and pillow'.. but I can bring my pillow anywhere! The cost of ownership, maintenance, etc. to us just is not worth the hassle. Now I won't mind paying for hotels, learned that nothing is really 'free'. Even though we get half off state parks here in Florida because my husband is over 65, the cost of gas alone at 10 miles per gallon does not off set much of a hotel room.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:27 PM

i junked the sprinter van after asking the MB mech's how much the repairs would be if the vehicle wasn't under warranty. lets say i got an eye opener. sure these new diesels are much more fun to drive but there so much more less reliable. i just went out and bought an older F350 pre emissions and did a WVO conversion to it to pull my tiny home. for me fulltiming is cheaper than paying rent and plus if i don't like my neighbors i can put the key in and go

Old 10-28-2015, 05:49 PM

25,583 posts, read 31,827,160 times
Quote:
i junked the sprinter van after asking the MB mech's how much the repairs would be if the vehicle wasn't under warranty. lets say i got an eye opener. sure these new diesels are much more fun to drive but there so much more less reliable. i just went out and bought an older F350 pre emissions and did a WVO conversion to it to pull my tiny home. for me fulltiming is cheaper than paying rent and plus if i don't like my neighbors i can put the key in and go
Good plan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing